Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Unhappy Best Buy Sony Reader display does not contain information on the 650

Yesterday I was in Best Buy looking around and decided to have a look at the Sony Reader display. They have a Sony provided display that features the 350 and 950. The flip-card chart contains information on each tab for the 350 and 950. It even has a comparison page of the two units. There is NO mention, missing tabs or photos of the 650 anywhere on the display.

As sad as this makes me, I personally don't think we are going to see the 650much longer. My parnter has a theory that the public is buying more of the 350 for its size and the 950 for its features so Sony has stopped making them. I don't buy into this much as the 505 was their best model and why wouldn't they offer a similar model. Its disappointing to not hear a word from Sony about the lack of 650 availability.

Does anyone have more information to support or deny this observation?

I seriously hope I am wrong. I will continue to support the Sony Readers as long as them come out. I pray they are not abandoning Readers.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Most likely reason is amazon buying all 6" screens available.
Sony gets a few.
Pocketbook doesn't get any.

Not very smart on PVI front (company that produces e-ink screens), but what can we do.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
After an absence of some months now, Darty (the rough equivalent of BestBuy here in France) has the Sony 650 on its website, listed as in stock both online and in stores.

I suspect Sony is allocating what 650's they do have to the markets where they think they are most needed/appreciated. BestBuy also doesn't sell e-books, whereas Darty does (and in ePub format). If there is a shortage of eInk screens, I figure Sony owes the popular readers to the countries where the stores are providing the reading material as well as the readers.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
ddriver
ddriver began at the beginning.

Device: bebook neo or samsung e60
Did Best Buy ever sell the 650? They only sell about a half-dozen e-readers total. I wouldn't gage the absence of a reader at Best Buy as an indication of much of anything.
ddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I recently went to two BB stores and noticed that their new display and brochures on ereaders has not a single Sony reader listed! I asked the clerks if they were no longer selling Sony readers and they said they didn't know. The brochure lists comparisons between the two nooks, the Kindle and the kobo. Not a good sign for Sony since they no longer sell them at Walmart or Target stores here.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
It's a pity. I recently added a Nook to my gadget collection and frankly it's not as nice as the Sony. Yes, it has wireless, but I had to turn it off to keep it from sucking down my battery. I could get used to not having the full touch screen, I think, but the touch area at the bottom is not as responsive as the Sony; you have to make quite an exaggerated thumb motion to make the page change.

I am forcing myself to read on it for a couple weeks, to give it a proper chance. And it's certainly acceptable - I still like eReading even with the Nook. But IMHO the current Sony readers are nicer.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
If Best Buy stops selling Sonys then there will be none being sold here either. Bummer because I too think it is a better device than Nook or Kindle.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I was at a Best Buy just Tuesday, they had a Sony display with the 350 and 950. Hubby had to drag me away from the 950, I fell in love! (I think he was darned impressed too, though he only got to play with the 350 demo.)
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:10 AM   #9
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
It's a pity. I recently added a Nook to my gadget collection and frankly it's not as nice as the Sony. Yes, it has wireless, but I had to turn it off to keep it from sucking down my battery. I could get used to not having the full touch screen, I think, but the touch area at the bottom is not as responsive as the Sony; you have to make quite an exaggerated thumb motion to make the page change.

I am forcing myself to read on it for a couple weeks, to give it a proper chance. And it's certainly acceptable - I still like eReading even with the Nook. But IMHO the current Sony readers are nicer.
My partner also started with the Nook and as you could not get into the hard page swipes. He ended by selling the Nook and getting a 950. He's much happier now with the Sony.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote