Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
Paulie_D
Connoisseur
Paulie_D began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Tab 4
Cailbre 2.0 - Editor Pane Layout

Forgive me if I've missed something or cannot find something obvious but, as I recall, Calibre used to remember my preferred layout of panes regardless of how I had changed them.

My preferred workflow had three main panes (approx 1/3 screen each) of files browser, HTML pane & preview pane.

Now, however, this layout is not recalled from one session to another. Instead the file browser is very slim, to the left and the preview pane, equally slim and to the right.

The HTML pane (when open) takes up c.80% of the screen.

Can I set a preference somewhere that my preferred layout can be set and recalled/fixed?

Last edited by Paulie_D; 08-23-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Paulie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works for me, what OS are you on? Do you have multiple editor instances open? If so the last one to be closed will "win", i.e. its layout will be saved for the future.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Paulie_D
Connoisseur

I'm on Win 8.1 64bit and no, single instance only.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Paulie_D - Looks like it might be similar to this problem New to Calibre

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:22 AM   #5
Paulie_D
Connoisseur

Quite possibly but it doesn't look like there is a solution yet.

I only have one installation and all I did was dload 2.0 (when alerted to the update) and install.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:40 AM   #6
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Same problem here on Windows 7 64 bit, Calibre 2.0. Run Calibre, Edit book, resize File Preview (make wider), Close editor window (red cross), Edit book, File Preview has not retained the new width.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:55 AM   #7
Paulie_D
Connoisseur

Phew...at least I'm not alone.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:09 AM   #8
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Files Browser pane is particularly noticeable - it always opens as too narrow to see the file names, and I have to widen it every time.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:16 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Paulie_D, ShellShock - If you're game try this :
  1. close calibre, editor etc, rename the configuration folder from %APPDATA%\calibre to say %APPDATA%\calibresave,
  2. run the editor standalone, change the panel sizes, close editor and open again; this will create a new config folder that will have something like what you see in the attachment
  3. if the new panel sizes stick, then there is obviously something awry with one of those files in calibresave. My guess is that it will be tweak_book_gui.json.
  4. so you could replace the tweak_book_gui.json in the calibresave folder with freshly created one, then trash the calibre folder, rename calibresave back to calibre and see how it goes.
BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	127188  
Old 08-23-2014, 05:50 AM   #10
ShellShock
Wizard

I would be game but I can't repro the problem now. It seems to be intermittent (sigh). I've noticed that when I Edit book, I get two calibre-parallel.exe processes (as well as calibre.exe), one of which has the window title for the epub. Close Edit book and they both disappear. Perhaps they are racing to save the config?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I would be game but I can't repro the problem now. It seems to be intermittent (sigh). I've noticed that when I Edit book, I get two calibre-parallel.exe processes (as well as calibre.exe), one of which has the window title for the epub. Close Edit book and they both disappear. Perhaps they are racing to save the config?
One of the two processes is a worker process used for rendering the preview panel, it does not touch the preferences.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:52 AM   #12
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
On my win7 64 bit, it showed up that way at first on upgrade, but was able to resize and save. But I was using the beta before, if that makes any difference.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
Paulie_D
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Paulie_D, ShellShock - If you're game try this :
  1. close calibre, editor etc, rename the configuration folder from %APPDATA%\calibre to say %APPDATA%\calibresave,
  2. run the editor standalone, change the panel sizes, close editor and open again; this will create a new config folder that will have something like what you see in the attachment
  3. if the new panel sizes stick, then there is obviously something awry with one of those files in calibresave. My guess is that it will be tweak_book_gui.json.
  4. so you could replace the tweak_book_gui.json in the calibresave folder with freshly created one, then trash the calibre folder, rename calibresave back to calibre and see how it goes.
BR
This seems to have done the trick in my instance.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie_D View Post
This seems to have done the trick in my instance.

Sometimes I make a lucky guess - hopefully it will help Kovid diagnose the root cause.

BR
Old 08-24-2014, 03:15 AM   #15
ferretman
ferretman began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Paulie_D - Looks like it might be similar to this problem New to Calibre

BR

Thanks all for pointing me to this post.

I followed through what BetterRed said and found that the file marked tweak_book_gui.json. was showing as read only and had not been updated.
So, removed the read only attribute and ran Calibre again.
This time it stored the alterations and when it was restarted, the layout was still correct.
This morning I ran Calibre again and still ok. Looks as if this may well have sorted my problem.
Thanks all for linking me up with this post, obliged for the help

ferretman
ferretman is offline   Reply With Quote