Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Microsoft Slashes Price of Surface RT Tables

The Washington Post reports that Microsoft is cutting the price of the Surface RT to $349 from it's original $499. The same tablet with it's detachable keyboard will cost $449.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...isrc=nl_tech_b

This news was already reported in the thread about Surface Pro going world-wide. I missed the report about the price cut in that tread. Please pardon my error.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213438

Last edited by 6charlong; 07-15-2013 at 05:24 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
I almost bit when I was shopping for my Note 8.0...however it was the form factor which seduced me back to the evil Android. No 8" MS Surface RT device, well that and the fact RT seems DOA. And I'm a big MS guy who has made my cash thanks to MS over the years. Still I don't see RT having a happy ending this year.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Windows RT seems to have been a stopgap measure with no real future.
It isn't going to appeal to the existing tablet consumers using iOS and Android, because it includes enough Windows to be complex, but isn't going to appeal to any real power users, because it doesn't include enough Windows to actually run the vast majority of existing Windows applications, they would use full Windows on a Surface Pro instead.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Microsoft has given every indication that the Metro/Modern interface is the future and are pushing it hard. The app store just hit 100,000 apps, not bad in less than a year.

8.1 helps a great deal with reducing the need to use the desktop and ties the whole experience together better. I'd imagine by 9 the desktop won't be needed at all. However, some things are still simply better on a desktop. Like file management and Office. That's why I really like RT despite the flaws. The Pro is simply too large and expensive for a 10" tablet. It fits a much more specific need than the RT, which is all the computer most of the general population needs for personal use (provided the apps keep coming).
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
It isn't going to appeal to the existing tablet consumers using iOS and Android, because it includes enough Windows to be complex, but isn't going to appeal to any real power users, because it doesn't include enough Windows to actually run the vast majority of existing Windows applications, they would use full Windows on a Surface Pro instead.
Windows RT appears to be a fine solution saddled with a terrible name. Microsoft did itself a great disservice by blurring the lines between Windows 8, Windows RT, Surface RT, and Surface Pro.

"Surface" was originally the codename for Microsoft's interactive coffee table device. They should've used a different name for these tablet devices... personally, I preferred "Zune Tablet". But then again, I was a fan of the Zune.

MS should've called "Windows RT" anything but Windows. That would've helped avoid confusion.

The Surface RT/Pro won't become a breakaway consumer hit, but will exist with a small but loyal following until MS decides to pull the plug. Look to their behavior with the Zune as a predictor of the future.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
From yesterday's Microsoft results:

Quote:
"These financial results include a $900 million charge, or a $0.07 per share impact, related to Surface RT inventory adjustments.
Inventory adjustments being having to slash the price to dump stock.

Quote:
The Surface RT/Pro won't become a breakaway consumer hit, but will exist with a small but loyal following until MS decides to pull the plug. Look to their behavior with the Zune as a predictor of the future.
I think the Pro has a real chance of success, as it delivers what people would expect from a 'Windows' tablet, one that actually runs 'Windows' programs. I think that Windows RT as a tablet OS may be dead already.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
But it can run - and indeed, includes for free - a full version of Microsoft Office. There's an awful lot of people out there for whom a device which can run Word and Excel, plus web browsing and email, will be all that they need.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But it can run - and indeed, includes for free - a full version of Microsoft Office.
They have to get that info out there. Until last weekend I had no idea this was the case. Maybe they're already doing a good job advertising it, but apparently they need to do it better.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
But it can run - and indeed, includes for free - a full version of Microsoft Office. There's an awful lot of people out there for whom a device which can run Word and Excel, plus web browsing and email, will be all that they need.
FULL version of office? Color me skeptical.

Anyway, I don't understand trying to do real work on these little tablets. But then, I don't even want to do real work on a laptop! I need a real keyboard and real mouse and large monitors.

Problems with RT: unspectacular specs (no hi def screen) and small number of apps. Supposedly they have 10000 apps at launch compared to the hundreds of thousands on android and iOS (keep in mind 95% of them will be junk).

That said, if they drop the price to $99, I'll pick one up
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Quote:
How buggy is that version of Office? I won't run anything after Office 2003 because of some major problems in later versions.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's Office 2013, which seems to have been favourably reviewed. I use Office 2010 myself every day and haven't encountered any problems with it; what problems are you referring to?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
it is a full version of office home and student 2013. Because of the arm platform Macros dont run in Excel but everything else is the same as office on x86. My wife uses if for work every week using OneNote during meetings on Mondays and organizing and sharing them with others in her group. She uses Word quite a bit as well for contract stuff and since I installed the 8.1 preview has her Outlook up and running. Those are all synced with her work so she can access them at her desk from the PC there or in the field when she has the tablet with her. What ever she cant do on the tablet she does via VPN. which isnt much now
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
The Washington Post reports that Microsoft is cutting the price of the Surface RT to $349 from it's original $499. The same tablet with it's detachable keyboard will cost $449.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...isrc=nl_tech_b

This news was already reported in the thread about Surface Pro going world-wide. I missed the report about the price cut in that tread. Please pardon my error.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213438
$50 too much for keyboard.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
She uses Word quite a bit as well for contract stuff and since I installed the 8.1 preview has her Outlook up and running.
Isn't the RT version on a 'no commercial use' license?
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
It can be used for /by businesses and here's the official verbage to make sure i don't type anything incorrectly

Quote:
As sold, Office 2013 RT is not designed for commercial, nonprofit, or revenue-generating activities. However, organizations who purchase commercial use rights or have a commercial license to Office 2013 suites that include Outlook can use Office 2013 RT for commercial, nonprofit, or revenue-generating activities.
Microsoft understands the push towards bring your own device to work and wont limit anyone from doing so. The restriction is in place more to prevent abuse by large enterprises. While technically this extension of the license does mean the institution would need Some form of0ffice 2013, Office 365 etc no one will quibble if the company has some form of license business office suite. Businesses can specifically purchase Surface RT in volume as well.

It has been this way since launch last October as Paul Thurrott wrote about here http://winsupersite.com/blog/supersi...rt-work-144541
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote