Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #16
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Welcome to the fray AAL!

I'll tell you what I know. I've read that no eInk reader can read a DRM'd pdf file. Normal sized pdf files can be hard or impossible to read on a smaller screen anyway. Cybook can read DRM prc files. I don't have a sony so I don't know about them, maybe you could ask in the sony forums and get a good response.

Last edited by cmbs; 04-08-2008 at 03:34 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAL View Post
Hi First time post here..BTW great site and very well informed opinions and view points..truly enjoy the site

My question is with ref to above..Can i use the Sony Reader to read borrowed books from the Los Angeles Public Library system..? or th ebuilt in DRM would prevent that? I think the ebooks from the Public Library are in Adobe PDF. Or shouldI look at Cybook to read borrowed books?

Any help would be highly appreciated.
The Adobe PDFs probably have DRM, so you would not be able to read them on a Sony Reader. Even if they didn't have DRM, you wouldn't like the experience of trying to read them on the Sony.

The Cybook is much better with library ebooks.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

The reason I was looking into how to read a library book on my cybook is because I had been looking into online libraries. My local library probably won't even know what an ebook is for another 20 years, so I was looking for something widely available. Maybe this thread is a good place to list libraries people can use.

This is the best one I've seen so far, KnowBetter Lending Library. Limited selection but better than Fictionwise and apparently dedicated to growing. $19.95/year. Limited use available for free. Works with your fictionwise account.
http://www.libwise.com/knowbetter/

There is also a lending library at Fictionwise, only available to their buywise club members (about $30/year but has other benefits). Very limited selection.
http://www.libwise.com/fll/
Old 04-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Both the CyBook and the iRex iLiad will read MobiPocket format library books. There's no dedicated book reader which will read DRM-protected PDF files - you'd need something like a Tablet PC for that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
Maybe this thread is a good place to list libraries people can use.
There's actually an existing thread on the subject here. Probably best to add new sources to that thread.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #21
cmbs
non-believer

Are sony books even available at libraries? Other formats? Or is it all prc and pdf?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, because the Sony format doesn't have a "date limited" DRM mechanism like MobiPocket and PDF do. Library books need to "expire".
Old 04-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #23
cmbs
non-believer

Here, I've made a wiki page for libraries. Desperately in need of additional input.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
Old 04-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thank you - that's very useful. One minor suggestion - might it be a good idea to specify whether each library provides MobiPocket or PDF format books (or both)?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #25
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
Thank you Cmbs for the information
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #26
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebook lover View Post
Thank you Cmbs for the information
You're welcome.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you - that's very useful. One minor suggestion - might it be a good idea to specify whether each library provides MobiPocket or PDF format books (or both)?
Actually that is in there for most pages. Some are not forthcoming with their formats unless you have an account. Also Microsoft Reader and Palm eReader is sometimes mentioned. Remember PDA's are mobile too!

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually that is in there for most pages. Some are forthcoming with their formats unless you have an account. Also Microsoft Reader and Palm eReader is sometimes mentioned. Remember PDA's are mobile too!

Dale
The reason I thought that only Mobi and PDF were supported is that - AFAIK - they are the only DRM formats which have date expiration. Do some libraries supply eBooks which don't expire?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #29
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason I thought that only Mobi and PDF were supported is that - AFAIK - they are the only DRM formats which have date expiration. Do some libraries supply eBooks which don't expire?
Some university libraries do although we may decide to shift them off of this page for that reason. I believe both MS and eReader do have expiring license capability but I will have to recheck this now that you bring it up.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:12 AM   #30
AAL
AAL began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry
Thank you all very much for your help.

Nate, you suggested that Cybook is better for the library ebooks..is that because Library ebooks are in Mobi format or does Cybook handle PDF's better..can Cybook handle DRM/protected PDF's? If it is because of the Mobi format than the Kindle should work well with Library ebooks.

I checked the Link to the NYC library and they have books both in PDF and Mobi format. Also the Los Angeles Public Library system has ebooks in PDF's.
AAL is offline   Reply With Quote