Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #1
gdaydigger
gdaydigger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Switching between US/UK stores?

Hi, I'm thinking of switching from a Sony 600 to the new Kindle 3 simply because a lot of the books that I want to read are only available from Amazon. At the same time, however, in some instances some titles are only available from the US store and not the UK store and vice versa.

Complicating matters is the fact that I live outside of the US and do not have a US credit card. Assuming I can work around that and make purchases of US-only books via my Mac (other posts seem to indicate this is possible), how could I also get UK-only books onto my Kindle. Can I register the same Kindle with both the US and the UK stores? Help!
gdaydigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi, I believe it has to be either the UK store or the US store at any one time. I don't know any way of getting access to both simultaneously.

However switching between the two stores seems to be quick and easy, I've done it a few times before plumping for the UK site which is pretty cheap and no conversion charges on the credit card!
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
To get UK books via Amazon you have 2 choices.
1. Establish an account at Amazon.co.uk and then register a Kindle device to that account. On the Manage My Kindle page you will need to put in a UK address. Payment will be in British Sterling pounds.

2. Establish an account at Amazon.com, register a Kindle device and then on the Manage My Kindle page you will need to put in a UK Address. If you want US availability prices you will need to put in a US address. It is possible to switch back and forth between these addresses with a couple of clicks of the button. Payment is made in US Dollars

So far Amazon has been extremely liberal about allowing people to switch that address around pretty much at will. That could always change.

The question then becomes whether you prefer to pay in pounds or dollars and what kind of foreign transaction fees your payment methods will apply when you do this. As far as moving your Kindle from one account to another - again it is very possible. Amazon is pretty unclear with any guidelines or standards that they feel are appropriate as to how often and when their customers are allowed to do this.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
gdaydigger
gdaydigger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Thanks very much -- that is great news
gdaydigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, store, us/uk