Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Another reason 'sharing' may not be as big an issue...

My sister and I are both gadget freaks and record-keepers. In celebration of her new iPod Touch, I sent her a list of the books I have bought from Fictionwise, telling her that if she wanted me to gift her one, (FW makes this very easy) I would. She in turn sent me a list of her books. And the result?

Sister thinks I buy far too much sci-fi (I feel I am more a mystery fan, but the recent binge on sale-priced Star Trek books has perhaps skewed the results) and is not sure how much of my 'reading material' she would care for. Out of the 200+ books on my list, there were perhaps half a dozen which interested her.

I of course was deeply offended by her diss of my reading habits. She seems to favour the hard-core weirdo romance genre and there was one book on her list (which was part of a series!) whose plot involved a woman going to a resort designed for hooking people up who want to have casual sex with vampires, werewolves and the like. So I really don't feel that someone like her is in the position to be lecturing me on literary taste :P Also, she buys too many short stories so I feel like her list would not have enough to keep me properly occupied.

So, out of the almost 500 books we have bought between us, maybe a dozen seem to be of mutual interest. Sharing is such a big threat? Not in my family!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I suspect it will be the same in most families. Sharing among friends will be more of an issue, since friends usually are friends because of common interests.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
My sister and I are both gadget freaks and record-keepers. In celebration of her new iPod Touch, I sent her a list of the books I have bought from Fictionwise, telling her that if she wanted me to gift her one, (FW makes this very easy) I would. She in turn sent me a list of her books. And the result?

Sister thinks I buy far too much sci-fi (I feel I am more a mystery fan, but the recent binge on sale-priced Star Trek books has perhaps skewed the results) and is not sure how much of my 'reading material' she would care for. Out of the 200+ books on my list, there were perhaps half a dozen which interested her.

I of course was deeply offended by her diss of my reading habits. She seems to favour the hard-core weirdo romance genre and there was one book on her list (which was part of a series!) whose plot involved a woman going to a resort designed for hooking people up who want to have casual sex with vampires, werewolves and the like. So I really don't feel that someone like her is in the position to be lecturing me on literary taste :P Also, she buys too many short stories so I feel like her list would not have enough to keep me properly occupied.

So, out of the almost 500 books we have bought between us, maybe a dozen seem to be of mutual interest. Sharing is such a big threat? Not in my family!
I can understand. One list basically covers a perfectly natural desire to shag -anything, anytime, anywhere. The other covers a plethora of deep-rooted sicknesses, twisted thoughts and highly unnatural perversions. It is a wonder your family is still talking to you! (Of course, *MY* list would be just as summarily rejected. )

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I had the same discussion with my sister LOL!!! The only thing is since her and I both have Kindles on the same account it is not an issue since she can use all the books I buy and I hers (we change credit card info when we buy)
Then again, besides her and my sis in law, I dont really know anyone that uses an eReader anyhow.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't like sharing my tree books (I've had them return in poor condition before I stopped doing it), why would I share an ebook? Most of my friends and family don't care for the majority of books I read, so the ability to share an ebook is an uneeded feature for me.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your relatives. I've never been sure how to classify my spouse though-before we got married my reading choice was my personal decision-now, it seems that it indicates a fondness for 'trash'. Do people change when their status changes from friend to relative?
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Do people change when their status changes from friend to relative?
Hum.. The same as Before Spouse Status vs After Spouse Status ?

My mother and I would rarely if ever share books. The same with the rest of my family and -in-law parts of the family. Our tastes are too different. The only one who comes close is my son (who doesn't have a Reader) and he likes Rollins, Higgins, etc., and History. He just gives me the paperbacks when he is done.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I send my grandmother and brother ebooks I've formatted for them and my husband and I share ebooks. We all have the Sony PRS-505 but since I don't buy ebooks and none of them will they kind of end up reading whatever I find interesting.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Me and my older brother actually read a lot in common. Often I recommend books to him or he to me (though I read more, as he has 2 children and I only have 2 cats ) We "only" live about 300km away from each other (which to Dutch standard is a long, long way! clear across the country...), so we don't share books. And he generally reads the books in Dutch, while I read them in English
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, the only person I'd share with probably is my girlfriend. And Kindle for PC takes care
of that since she doesn't mind reading on her small laptop.

So it's a non-factor for me--but a nice feature for those who'd make use of it.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I have 10 brothers and 2 sisters and at least half of them read much the same stuff as me and we share books alot.

I don't really think the big bad evil corporations really want to outlaw all sharing though. The problem for them though is coming up with a way that allows one to share their books amongst friends and family without giving them the ability to share it with 20 million of their bestest friends forever over the internet. And of course there isn't any such way.

But then again, I'm probably just being niave.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I don't really think the big bad evil corporations really want to outlaw all sharing though. The problem for them though is coming up with a way that allows one to share their books amongst friends and family without giving them the ability to share it with 20 million of their bestest friends forever over the internet. And of course there isn't any such way.
Sub-dural pain implants with A.I. monitoring software. All part of the licensing and the purchase price.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
What about your sci-fi loving friends though? I have a bunch of friends I would normally share paper books with but I can't share my ebooks.

Sharing is one of the most important things for me, and the first reader to really offer the same sharing rights that a paperback would get, gets my business. I'll drop my kindle in a flash.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I have 10 brothers and 2 sisters and at least half of them read much the same stuff as me and we share books alot.

But then again, I'm probably just being niave.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Watermarking files instead of DRM, perhaps.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
She seems to favour the hard-core weirdo romance genre and there was one book on her list (which was part of a series!) whose plot involved a woman going to a resort designed for hooking people up who want to have casual sex with vampires, werewolves and the like.
So... do you remember the name of that book?
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote