Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Question Kindle DX PDF image resolution?

My understanding is the native resolution of the DX is 1200x824. When viewing a PDF, there is a status bar at the bottom which I assume takes something away from the 1200.

Does anyone know the exact resolution to make images embedded in a PDF such that they won't need to be scaled up or down when viewed on the DX?
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
According to Joshua Tallent at his blog:
Quote:
The DX screen is 824 pixels wide by 1200 pixels high, and the viewable book area on the DX is 744px wide by 1022px high.
G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
According to Joshua Tallent at his blog:
G
I think 1022x744 refers to text and not necessarily images. It appears I can get the full 1200x824 when I use the pictures folder with zipped images, but there is no status bar when doing this, as there is when viewing a PDF. To use a custom screensaver, the size is also 1200x824, but again, no status bar.

I think I may have to load up some test patterns in a PDF to figure out the exact dimensions.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
ectoplasm
Addict

This was not at all easy to figure out, but my tests show 1150x776 is the exact (or very close) resolution for PDF images on the Kindle DX that will not result in a resize on the DX.

So if you're authoring a PDF containing full page images, and will end up doing a resize anyway, it makes sense to go to 1150x776 to avoid another resize on the Kindle.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you think that the max resolution is different for PDF images vs images in MOBI files?

G
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
ectoplasm
Addict

Quote:
Do you think that the max resolution is different for PDF images vs images in MOBI files?
My tests show the PDF maximum image size is larger than MOBI. I think 744x1022 is the max for MOBI (according to Tallent's blog and somewhat confirmed by my tests), while around 776x1150 is the max for PDF.

Of the 3 ways to author documents containing images on the Kindle DX ( MOBI, PDF, or the undocumented Manga ) I think it comes down to PDF or Manga.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
GRiker

Quote:
Of the 3 ways to author documents containing images on the Kindle DX ( MOBI, PDF, or the undocumented Manga ) I think it comes down to PDF or Manga
I'm curious why you've come to this conclusion leaving MOBI out - is it because you're going for the max resolution, or is there another reason?

G
Old 10-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
ectoplasm
Addict

One last thing, in case anyone tries to author a PDF using scanned images, the Kindle DX will attempt to automatically zoom in if there is white space on the borders of an image.

While I can understand the reason for this, it can introduce sizing artifacts that can be undesirable if the image has already been optimally sized. The only workaround I found is to add a black line along the right side and bottom.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
ectoplasm
Addict

Quote:
I'm curious why you've come to this conclusion leaving MOBI out - is it because you're going for the max resolution, or is there another reason?
Two reasons:
1) There really is an obvious difference between 744x1022 and 776x1150 on the DX screen. The former shows an overly large (in my opinion) border of wasted space. These wasted pixels could have been used to improve the resolution of the image. Even 776x1150 has a good sized border, but visually much more reasonable.
2) If I author a PDF, I can easily read the same document on my PC using Acrobat, and transport it back and forth to work. I know I can use Mobipocket reader on the PC (and I do use it), but it's not as handy for me.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #10
owletta
owletta began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
hi all,

I created a series of grid pattern sized between the range of w:781-790, h:1130-1142. and put all of them in a PDF file and load it up inside my Kindle DX.

After checking my patterns page by page, result shows me that at the height of 1135, PDF reach its max display range on height (kindle dx display all of the vertical pixels without distortion). The max width however is remain questionable, due to the auto zoom function of the pdf player, it is not always the same.

So, the two resolution displayed with zero distortion, cropped less than 3 pixels are:

783x1135[3,0]
786x1136[2,1]

in [] are the pixels number cropped on the right, and on the bottom of the screen.

unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a pattern that display no distortion and no cropping. maybe some day amazon will add full screen display to pdf then it would be the most ideal way to end this.

at last, I hope my test would help some of you

http://picasaweb.google.com/winglo/N...05566749410018
http://picasaweb.google.com/winglo/N...14581126668274
owletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #11
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
Thumbs up

the DX has a native resolution of 150 ppi while the Kindle 3G has a native resolution of 167 ppi. why different resolutions i could only guess it was to save on processing power for the larger screen of the DX. Still we would need a good 300ppi for print quality, I believe that is the next thing to come =)
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote