Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 03-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
windigo
windigo began at the beginning.

Device: None
A little change in functionality (content server)

Quote:
EDIT: I just read that this is not the place to put my request. So... can you take my message as a "how do I develop this myself?" kind of message (I'm a python developer) instead of taking it as "please, code my feature request for next release". Al I need to know is the direction I took (about MIME types) could be OK to solve my request, and maybe I could go and code it myself. Thanks!

Hello people,

first of all, thanks for developing calibre, it is like a dream come true! I discovered it on 2014 and started cataloguing my books, which where spread al over many directories on many partitions for around 14 years or so... there were a lot of files to catalog/index... A LOT OF WORK which is beautifully made with calibre.

I also discovered a new "use case" which I can do very easily, it is to link the books using calibre's content server from my local wiki. So in a wiki page, I can make citations DIRECTLY to the book I'm writing about. The idea works great, but there's one thing missing which I think needs to be done by modifying (a bit) the source code of calibre.

When you open a URL where an ebook file is "residing" in your browser, you automatically get a "download window" from your browser, BUT if I copy a PDF to my apache server root dir, I can link that file and open it and read it through the browser's integrated PDF reader, it doesn't show me automatically the download window.

So... maybe it's about MIME types? Maybe calibre's server not sending the right MIME for the PDF file? And maybe if the browser was told which type of file is sent (or how to open it) it could be open with the integrated PDF reader?

If it's something that can be quickly implemented because it's not too hard to accomplish, maybe my "feature request" could be added to calibre's "Tweaks" section, so you can turn it on and off.

Thank you for your time,
Regards.

Last edited by windigo; 03-09-2015 at 10:56 AM.
windigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@windigo - this thread may provide some additional info ==>> Can't open PDFs in Firefox... There are a couple of Firefox addins (link is in Peter T's post) that address the specific issue I was having. You might be able to pull one of them apart to see what they do.

BR

Moderator Notice
Your post somehow got duplicated - so I deleted the second one.

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-09-2015 at 03:51 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
windigo
windigo began at the beginning.

Device: None
OK, I'll read those posts right away.

Thanks for your reply!
windigo is offline   Reply With Quote