Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
Post T68: how big microsd ?

Hi,

I have found different specs for the sdcard of the T68: their website says up to 32Gb. Some reviews say up to 64Gb.
Did anybody try 64Gb or even 128Gb ?

Thanks
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I would say that the T68 doens't work w/ cards greater than 32Gb.

First of all it doesn't support exfat. Thus one has to re-format the >32Gb cards w/ FAT32 LBA.

Then, although it seemed to work with a 64Gb, the performance of the reader became very bad (eg: slow to unresponsive) with a couple of books on it.
When I threw all my books on it, the reader basically stopped working. Even though the card didn't seem like was getting mounted at all, the simple fact that it was in the reader seem to affect it's behaviour. Very strange.

With a 32Gb card, with all my content on it, it took a long while to index it, but after it did that, it seems to work fine.
Advert
Old 08-23-2014, 02:00 AM   #3
mvo
Connoisseur
mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: see signature
I use a 32Gb card in my T68 - no problems, and it didn't seem to take too long to index the files...
mvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
dnastase
Addict

Actually it doesn't seem to work that well with a 32Gb card either.
I guess it's not the size, but another issue.

On reboot sometimes it just doesnt' mount the card (or maybe it takes a WHOLE long time to mount). Repeated reboots sometime fix it, sometime not.

The whole device is very slow as if trying to do something w/ the card, but I have no idea what.
Unfortunately when the device is in this situation, also the other, internal, card doesn't get mounted either, which means I see NO books at all in the library

Such a frustrating device, lot of possibilities, but ...
Old 09-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
Actually it doesn't seem to work that well with a 32Gb card either.
I guess it's not the size, but another issue.

On reboot sometimes it just doesnt' mount the card (or maybe it takes a WHOLE long time to mount). Repeated reboots sometime fix it, sometime not.

The whole device is very slow as if trying to do something w/ the card, but I have no idea what.
Unfortunately when the device is in this situation, also the other, internal, card doesn't get mounted either, which means I see NO books at all in the library

Such a frustrating device, lot of possibilities, but ...
That sounds like a hardware issue. If it does the same thing with different cards I would say that you need to contact the seller (if you bought from Amazon, this is not an issue) and do an exchange.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #6
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
That sounds like a hardware issue. If it does the same thing with different cards I would say that you need to contact the seller (if you bought from Amazon, this is not an issue) and do an exchange.

Shari
It's just another of the many defects of the T68. On mine the sd card sometimes had to be removed to stop the reboot loop and I couldn't do an update with the sd card in.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
dnastase
Addict

I don't understand how the hardware can be so different. It seems like there are 3 or 4 hardware issues and the devices can have any combination of them !
Usually, especially nowadays, hardware either works or not (the one that reaches us, customers).
It's almost like they used parts that didn't pass quality control in factories.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
I don't understand how the hardware can be so different. It seems like there are 3 or 4 hardware issues and the devices can have any combination of them !
Usually, especially nowadays, hardware either works or not (the one that reaches us, customers).
It's almost like they used parts that didn't pass quality control in factories.
Any combination including all of them if you are as lucky as me. Boot looping, wifi turning off, poor touch accuracy, device freezing after being in sleep mode overnight, a lot of battery use from cell standby when it's not even a data enabled device...

ETA - and of course also the sd card problems mentioned here. I guess with so many defects it's easy to forget one.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 09-07-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
dnastase
Addict

Yes, I know, I have all of them too.
I desperately want to like and use this device, on paper it sounds wonderful. But the one I have is so frustrating. So now it turns out that I can't even have all my books on it at once
What's left ?!
Old 09-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
With a 32Gb card, with all my content on it, it took a long while to index it, but after it did that, it seems to work fine.
The same happened on my Sony PRS-950 and on the NST, when i tried to treat them like super-libraries.
The T68 is not better than these to behave any different. So i didnt try to recreate another Library-of-Congress.

I just use a simple 4gb card and i have about 100+ odd books on it, and it just whistles along. The PRS950/NST now just sleep in a corner.

And i dont like the indexing feature. didnt like it on the others too. Just have to live with it.

Last edited by rhari79; 09-08-2014 at 04:02 PM.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #11
dnastase
Addict

My NSTG can handle all my books. Same 32Gb microsd, same amount of files.
From what I read in the forums, there is an issue w/ the speed of the sdcard system of the T68...
Old 09-09-2014, 01:30 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
32GB card works fine for me. No effect on boot up time, and I have 4000 or so books on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:16 AM   #13
Brandobras
Zealot
Brandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it is

Device: Onyx T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
32GB card works fine for me. No effect on boot up time, and I have 4000 or so books on it.
the same here: 32 gb sd card, 4675 books, no problems.

when I used it the first time, I was not satisfied because my T68 was very slow in scanning it (3/4 minutes each time I switched it on). Then i formatted it and reinstall all my library again: it works perfectly so far.

regards
Brandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Remarkable 1, Kindle Oasis 2
On 32GB+ cards, we would need to format the file system as FAT32 with 32K cluster size for best all-round compatibility & avoid weird issues.

By default, I guess 64GB cards come with exFat, which creates problems with Android. On the new devices like SGS4 & using the new releases of Kitkat, exFAT doesn't appear to be an issue, however, for our humble Onyx's, running ICS, I believe it would be best to try for compatibility & remain on FAT 32.
japinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:39 AM   #15
JHarry
Connoisseur
JHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandobras View Post
the same here: 32 gb sd card, 4675 books, no problems.

when I used it the first time, I was not satisfied because my T68 was very slow in scanning it (3/4 minutes each time I switched it on). Then i formatted it and reinstall all my library again: it works perfectly so far.

regards
Formatting works?
Can you give more details such as the capcity and in which way?

JHarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sdcard, t68 lynx