Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you buy such a package deal?
Yes 9 36.00%
No 16 64.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
I asked Baen how much for all their ebooks...

If I had a bunch of extra cash floating around... I was wondering what it would cost to buy one copy of every e-book Baen sells.

So I sent off an e-mail and the answer is...
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for your interest in Baen Books. While I don’t have a way to access how much it would cost for every book we sell on Baen Ebooks, I can calculate the total of 767 books we have exclusive rights to: $577.68. Keep in mind there are hundreds of more books that don’t fit in this category, so I couldn’t add them to the total.

Maybe your dreams are in reach, after all!

Regards,
Jenny Cunningham
Baen Ebooks Web Team
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
You know, that's not bad!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You'd make your want to read list pretty huge though.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
That is more than a good deal that is an outstanding deal! I mean do the math $577.68 / 767 books = $0.75 each. Or put another way if I liked 82 of them I would break even at $7 book but I'm positive I could find more than that to like in 767 books..
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:55 PM   #5
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
What would be extra useful, if Baen offered this all for one option, is to automatically remove any previously purchased ebooks from the total.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
1- I'm impressed that they actually answered.
2- More impressed by the bundle price.
3- Too late for me.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You'd make your want to read list pretty huge though.
Mine is already deeper. And that's just the pbooks...
Old 11-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think they've made a mistake there - that's way too cheap. Baen's books cost at least $6 each, so that would be $4k-ish for 767 books.

Of course I've already bought them all, plus an awful lot which they no longer sell.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #9
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It's a bad deal for me. I already have plenty of theirs I haven't read, and I suspect the ones I still want wouldn't cost anywhere near that much.

I seem to remember that Angry Robot did an offer for all of their books some time ago.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If I didn't already have almost all of Baen's output, that would be very, very tempting.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think they've made a mistake there - that's way too cheap. Baen's books cost at least $6 each, so that would be $4k-ish for 767 books.
I'd have estimated more like $2,000 for 767 (around $3/book) which is about what they cost in the monthly bundles. Under $600 would be an amazing bargain.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Hmm... I wonder if they'd do a deal on a coming year of webscriptions....
Old 11-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Of course I've already bought them all, plus an awful lot which they no longer sell.
Depends on their contract terms.

A bundle like that can be considered a promo effort, not unlike the CDs.
Their unbundled prices run $6 retail and their royalty may or not be the "industry standard" of 25% of net. And many contracts allow for promos and sales under deep-discount terms.

Figure a 50% discount for the mass buy to get the nominal price to $3 each and the royalty to 25% and Baen writes off their take as promo, advertising, or goodwill and you're there. (By the time this thread is dead they might get a good chunk of it back in eyeball action for their brand. )

Alternately, they might be bundling in their free titles from the CDs and bookkeeping the rest at higher prices or any of a dozen creative accounting tricks.

The amazing thing to me isn't the price but that they took the time to create a custom bundle. That just bought them a whole load of goodwill with me...and I was already impressed with their business and outreach practices.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Don't forget all the books in the free Baen Library.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #15
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Don't forget all the books in the free Baen Library.
That's 31 books plus 14 or so available only on the Baenebooks.com website

http://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search-...publisher=Baen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=searc...publisher=Baen
http://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-a...publisher=Baen
http://www.amazon.com.au/s/?url=sear...publisher=Baen
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote