Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Text stays black in white on black mode.

I have Kindle reader on Android 2.2 on my Epic 4G phone. I've run into one book where the text will not switch to white when I change the screen to white text on black background.

The text isn't actually black, more like a very dark grey so it is dimly visible. Works fine in black on white and black on sepia modes.

The book isn't DRM. What's wrong with it and how do I fix it? (And why is it even possible for a mobi book to override the reader software's function to render text in white?)

I use white on black because with a SAMOLED screen that increases the battery life a lot because the black areas are completely off and using no power, unlike how black pixels on a backlit LCD are using maximum power, plus the backlight using power.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Zim
Zim began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
The .mobi file format is derived from html. Just like you can colour text in html you can color text in an .mobi file. I suppose the author of your ebook decided for the grey text to mark it as to be displayed as grey. for all the other text passages he most certainly did not decide to overwrite the default colour, so the reading software has no problem with overwriting the default behaviour.
Solution step:
Try to convert the file to html or epub. Then edit the file to either just clean the mark up from colour settings or colour it to your liking. You definitely need to know basic html and maybe about cascading style sheets to do so.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the book in epub already, I used the 2epub.com site to convert it. Never have had this issue with any other epub to mobi conversion with that site.

Edit: Just downloaded Calibre, installed it, used it to convert the book to Mobi and still the text is locked on black. I dislike Calibre even more than the last time I used it a few years ago.

Looks like it's an issue with epub, not Mobi. I tried another online converter, which also failed to fix this problem, so I'll ask in the epub format forum. Time to close this thread.

Last edited by bizzybody; 10-22-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
Zim
Zim began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
As I said it is NOT a real problem in terms of a bug or a corrupted file. The converters are fully functioning. Most certainly it was the author of the ebook who made the text grey/black for better reading. The converters take the file and just translate the authors text markup into the other files dude.
html stands for hyper text markup language. ePub uses html directly and mobi is derived from it.
Try to open your ePub version with Sigil and have a look
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
bizzybody
Addict

I used Sigil (a tip from someone else here) to remove the color entries from stylesheet.css and that fixed it.

Making the text slightly off-black was pointless because all reader software and dedicated ebook devices default to black on white. What that did, was bollix things for anyone not wanting to use the default. (It was most likely the person who prepared the original text for conversion, not the author.)

Reader software should have the ability to thumb its digital nose at such things, especially for readers with vision problems that can see other color combinations better or who simply want to use color combinations that use less power, which white text on black does very well on an LED screen since 100% black pixels use no power.

Anyway, problem identified and fixed!
Advert
Old 11-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
matatooie
matatooie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app iPad
Actuallly.....

[QUOTE=Zim;1799148]As I said it is NOT a real problem in terms of a bug or a corrupted file. The converters are fully functioning. Most certainly it was the author of the ebook who made the text grey/black

I'm the author of an ebook, I selected nothing and I am having the same problem with my ebook. Everything works when I read it on iBooks, but on mobi, the black text stays black and does not go to white. I wrote the book on pages, mac product. but I cut and pasted the book in open office and then converted it to mobi and I'm still having the same issue! I've used two different conversion software programs and have had zero luck correcting the problem.
matatooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
bizzybody
Addict

Convert it to epub then open with Sigil and find the stylesheet.css file. There should be nothing it there specifying black for a color. If you have a linked table of contents, there should be color entries for blue.

Would be nice if reader software had a user setting to override any text color settings in a book file.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
When you're formatting a file for eBooks, make sure that you never specify a color for a font... always use 'automatic'... well, unless you do actually want a color, but why? Let the reader choose how they want the text displayed... black on a white screen, black on an ecru screen, or white on a black screen (I think that's the Night setting on a Kindle). In the HTML just go through all your Style designations and every time you see color: make sure to take out that line entirely. I believe that there are some Word Styles that by default have a color attached... modify them if you're using them in your eBook.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote