Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #46
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Anybody know whether you can set orphan and widow values in the Kobo eReader.conf ?
I've added some code to my conf file and so far have had no error messages or obvious lock-ups. I don't yet know if the code is having any effect as it may apply to kepubs and most of my stuff is side-loaded epubs. I'll have to sort out a book without widows and orphans set in the css to do some proper checking on.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I've added some code to my conf file and so far have had no error messages or obvious lock-ups. I don't yet know if the code is having any effect as it may apply to kepubs and most of my stuff is side-loaded epubs. I'll have to sort out a book without widows and orphans set in the css to do some proper checking on.
What did you add?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #48
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What did you add?
I looked at the syntax used for the Fonts and Margins and it followed that for CSS so this is now what my [Reading] section looks like :

Code:
[Reading]
readingAdobeShowPageNumbers=false
readingAlignment=justify
readingFontFamily=Malabar
readingFontWeight\Malabar=@Variant(\0\0\0\x87>aG\xae)
readingLeftMargin=2
readingLineHeight=1.35
readingOrphans=0
readingRightMargin=2
readingWidows=0
The other options, though, mirror adjustments available via the UI so I am not too hopeful that it will have any effect.

It would be nice if you could use something like an epub.css file as used by Coolreader to set defaults for the renderer - effectively a stylesheet that gets used for all documents of a particular type.

BobC
Old 02-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #49
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Nice! Thanks BobC, please keep us informed when you find out more (ie. if it works). And I'll try it myself next time my battery runs out and I have to plug in (battery testing so not plugging in before battery empties).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #50
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

BobC
Quote:
I looked at the syntax used for the Fonts and Margins and it followed that for CSS so this is now what my [Reading] section looks like :

Code:
[Reading]
readingAdobeShowPageNumbers=false
readingAlignment=justify
readingFontFamily=Malabar
readingFontWeight\Malabar=@Variant(\0\0\0\x87>aG\xae)
readingLeftMargin=2
readingLineHeight=1.35
readingOrphans=0
readingRightMargin=2
readingWidows=0
I put this in as well, and then read a Calibre-made news epub and a public domain book, both without any widow/orphan settings. I'm sad to report that the readingOrphans and readingWidows does nothing (I think)
Old 03-01-2013, 04:41 AM   #51
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Hah, lookeelook what lissandro.sosa posted over here:

Code:
[General]
AIRPLANE_MODE=true
hasSyncedExistingRelatedItems=true
lastLibrarySorterbooks=sortByTitle()
lastLibrarySorterhome=sortByNewest()
libraryBuilderBlueprint=sortByTitle()\nfilterByMin e()\nviewBy5List()
selectionStyle=underline
That looks like it means we can sort our home page by something other than NEW.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #52
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Is there a setting to configure the number of seconds before sleep upon waking the Reader and not touching the page? I curse at least once a day because of this.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Is there a setting to configure the number of seconds before sleep upon waking the Reader and not touching the page? I curse at least once a day because of this.
No, its a bug.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #54
BobC
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I put this in as well, and then read a Calibre-made news epub and a public domain book, both without any widow/orphan settings. I'm sad to report that the readingOrphans and readingWidows does nothing (I think)
Was that a book transferred as a simple epub or a .kepub.epub ?

I've not noticed any pages that cut off short recently, but all my books have been kepubified and AFAICS have no widows/orphans settings in the book.

BobC
Old 03-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #55
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I doubt that readingOrphans=0 and readingWidows=0 in the configuration file have any effect. At least, I am unable to find any hint to routines for getting or setting these values in the binary file.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #56
2bits
Enthusiast
2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Touch N905, Mini
Exclamation Better font size settings range

BETTER VALUES would be ...

2 settings - extreme minimum think "phonebook"

12, 16

8 settings - SINGLE STEP PRECISION - normal reading range from small think "Gideon Bible" upward

18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

8 settings - SINGLE STEP PRECISION - magnified as age = gradual decline

26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33

6 settings - visually impaired reading

34, 38, 42, 46, 52, 58

I'd love someone to tell me where this table is in the guts of koboland so I could change the original poor values
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #57
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Was that a book transferred as a simple epub or a .kepub.epub ?

I've not noticed any pages that cut off short recently, but all my books have been kepubified and AFAICS have no widows/orphans settings in the book.

BobC
Good point. I used simple regular epubs.

So you think readingOrphans/Widows=0 is working for kepub.epubs?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #58
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
I'd love someone to tell me where this table is in the guts of koboland so I could change the original poor values
I have no idea where in the code they are listed, but if you read through this thread, you can set easily the current default to use. And you can change the stored size to use for any book on the device.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #59
2bits
Enthusiast
2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Touch N905, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have no idea where in the code they are listed, but if you read through this thread, you can set easily the current default to use. And you can change the stored size to use for any book on the device.
Quite right.

But after you hack the default value in the configuration file
if you then change the font size setting with the kobo reader
you lose your hacked setting (that required a pc to change)
and
with kobo's internal 24 pre-sets waiting to be inserted
immediately showing the result for comparison
it would be -ideal- if those presets were practical useful values
with -no holes- in the -most used- part of the range.

Change in lighting, font type, fatigue etc
may make changing size desirable
and different books might require different settings
(now all stored/saved for each title) ...

Last edited by 2bits; 03-02-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: thought of omission
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #60
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
Quite right.

But after you hack the default value in the configuration file
if you then change the font size setting with the kobo reader
you lose your hacked setting (that required a pc to change)
Correct.
Quote:
and
with kobo's internal 24 pre-sets waiting to be inserted
immediately showing the result for comparison
it would be -ideal- if those presets were practical useful values
with -no holes- in the -most used- part of the range.

Change in lighting, font type, fatigue etc
may make changing size desirable
and different books might require different settings
(now all stored/saved for each title) ...
Did you read all of my post? The bit were it says "And you can change the stored size to use for any book on the device."? The values for each book are stored in the database. Specifically in the "content_settings" table. I know I have discussed this before and I thought it was in this thread.