Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #916
FMP
Enthusiast
FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: m92
Stylus shape option in new pdf reader not working (as far as I can see).

Many thanks for the update. I have not yet played much with it, but it a priori feels nice.

Btw, as far as I can see, in the new pdf reader (and not in the old one), the stylus always produces the same thickness (quite thin actually) regardless of the selected shape.
FMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #917
pvdas
Enthusiast
pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Boox i86ML Plus
Thank you very much for the update.

Is there any way how to rename bookmarks in pdf document? Right now each is just the beginning of the first line and it would be nice if we can rename it

Could we also modify the sets of icons on the toolbar? Right now I can see only the 4 options - none, general, zooming and annotation - but it would be nice if we can customize it.

Is it possible to reassign some of the buttons, like the joystick? I would prefer if it would have the same function like before - left and right would turn the pages.

When doing sketching in pdf file, it does not matter what thickness of the line I choose it always reverts to shape 3 - medium thickness. Is there some way how to change it? It works with the old pdf reader, when selected in preferred applications, but then the toolbar also changes to the old style

Thank you,
PV Das
pvdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #918
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdas View Post
Thank you very much for the update.

Is it possible to reassign some of the buttons, like the joystick? I would prefer if it would have the same function like before - left and right would turn the pages.
Leave the buttons alone!
They are OK, we just convinced them to change them to what they are today!
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #919
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
After opening of a new PDF Document often we have to adjust the page size (Page Setup). In most cases we don’t want to see to big margins of original document. So we can use the “auto crop”, ”Two point” tools or also just set cropping value manually as XX.

Once set - the page settings - are hereafter effective for entire document and virtual page boarders should be handled as real boarders ( moving of viewport behind of that boarders is not allowed. Changing of the page settings of the current document is always possible. You can also reset page setup whenever you want.

Don’t confound page setup tools and zooming tools! Zooming tools are actually just tools, which could be applied on a document, where the page settings are already set. Zooming tools have to respect the by user applied page settings.

-----------------

In “Reading menu” you can switch between two Reading modes -“Page mode” and “Scrolling mode”.
In “Page Mode” we have additionaly two viewport navigating modes “Paper” and “Comic” mode.
(in future update additionally, for customers, who read from right to left, we will add this toggle for reading direction: Left-to-Right/Right-to-left)

Standard settings (by first opening of a new document):
Page mode” is on and “Paper mode” is on (in "page mode" either "paper" or "comic" mode are almost always on!)

How do zooming tools and hardware controls work in those modes?

General for all modes:
  • With joystick you are able to adjust the visible area horizontally (5% of the displayed scaled area).
  • With up and down joystick movements you are able to do zoom in / zoom out of visible area (same like wit (+) /(-) icons
  • By moving of viewport with “<” “>” buttons next viewport starts there where previous ends with a small overlapping
  • The boarders of the last applied viewport are displayed as interrupted/grey lines.
  • With zooming tools (zoom, custom. zoom, two point zoom ...) you can scale a particular area. Current viewport position will be displayed also in viewport icon
1. If "Scrolling mode" is on (paper/comic mode icons and settings do not have any effect in that mode)
a. With “>” “<” buttons you scroll vertically to the next/previous viewport. Next viewport starts there where previous ends with a small overlapping
b. In this mode it is allowed to show parts of the next/previous (remember! possibly cropped by page setup) page at the same time (if the viewport area displays the end of the last and begin of the next page as a kind of scroll.)
2. Page mode is on
If the current viewport is as big as the cropped page with “>” “<” buttons you can move the viewport to the next page.
a. Paper Mode is on (standard settings). If zooming tools were applied to the page and the viewport is smaller than current page, with “>” “<” buttons you move the Viewport vertically to the next/previous viewport on the same Page. After achieving of the bottom of the first column on the current page, the viewport will be moved to the top of the second column etc. You have to do it as long as the page is not scanned completely. Afterwards viewport will be moved to the next page
b. Comic Mode. If zooming tools were applied to the page and the viewport is smaller than current page with “>” “<” buttons you move the Viewport horizontally to the next/previous viewport on the same Page. After achieving of the right end of the first row (right edge of the page), the viewport will be moved to the left of the second row etc.
Hi Booxtor

Thanks for the clarifications
I will play with them and get back if I have any more questions
However these should be more intuitive because as the menu is arranged you can not say that it is very clear what is the relationship between modes and their submodes (by just looking at these) The incompatible submodes should be greyed when the main mode is slelected, (just an idea)
Old 11-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #920
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Leave the buttons alone!
I, for one, would also like to use the joystick to turn pages (as it used to do. I find the buttons uncomfortable.)
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #921
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Leave the buttons alone!
He did not mean to reassign it back. He wanted possibility of complete user assigment or option to switch between old and new.

--

I like it as it is now.

Solution might be like this. If the viewport is the size of page or bigger, then left/right turns page. If one sees only part of screen, then it moves view port.

If it is possible to detect long press of left/right then long press might turn page in any situation.

I am not sure about functionality up/down. Zoom is fine, but panning viewport would be also fine...

It seems to me, that once apropriate zoom is set it is not needed anymore and moving of viewport would be more handy. Solution might be to have possibility to switch the functionality, for example using zoom icon on toolbar. When pressed, up/down zooms, if off it moves viewport.

It is not easy to develop a good user interface....
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #922
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
He did not mean to reassign it back. He wanted possibility of complete user assigment or option to switch between old and new.

--

I like it as it is now.

Solution might be like this. If the viewport is the size of page or bigger, then left/right turns page. If one sees only part of screen, then it moves view port.

If it is possible to detect long press of left/right then long press might turn page in any situation.

I am not sure about functionality up/down. Zoom is fine, but panning viewport would be also fine...

It seems to me, that once apropriate zoom is set it is not needed anymore and moving of viewport would be more handy. Solution might be to have possibility to switch the functionality, for example using zoom icon on toolbar. When pressed, up/down zooms, if off it moves viewport.

It is not easy to develop a good user interface....
how about a > and a < software button on the bottom bar?
The section of that bar that shows you where you are in the document (reading progress? ) is too big anyway.
To be honest with you that is useless, a current page number and the total number of pages will have the same effect. We already have a "go to page" via the joystick so that progress bar at the bottom of the screen is a waste of space in my opinion.
That should be entirely a "quick ribbon" bar as it is today in MS Office, where you can add whatever buttons you like. Having that sort of solution will cover once and for ever all the possible needs of any possible user
Old 11-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #923
PF4Mobile
Guru

Hi Booxtor
There is one small problem with the icon that shows the current reading mode. If you change the reading mode from Page Mode to Scrolling Mode the change is not reflected by the icon on the tool bar.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #924
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
how about a > and a < software button on the bottom bar?
The section of that bar that shows you where you are in the document (reading progress? ) is too big anyway.
To be honest with you that is useless, a current page number and the total number of pages will have the same effect. We already have a "go to page" via the joystick so that progress bar at the bottom of the screen is a waste of space in my opinion.
The things are complicated. I like that bar and use it for jumping in document. It is faster and more friendly than "Go to Page"...

I agree that there might be also < > at the ends to turn a page. I was many times tempted to ask for this feature, but decided not to ask.

The thing is that Onyx has different devices. Some with buttons, some with touch screen and some pen enabled. I guess to make consistent interface all things should be do-able and user friendly (to some extent) only using buttons. All extra touch screen/pen enabled features should be a "bonus" to already good interface.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #925
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
The things are complicated. I like that bar and use it for jumping in document. It is faster and more friendly than "Go to Page"...

I agree that there might be also < > at the ends to turn a page. I was many times tempted to ask for this feature, but decided not to ask.

The thing is that Onyx has different devices. Some with buttons, some with touch screen and some pen enabled. I guess to make consistent interface all things should be do-able and user friendly (to some extent) only using buttons. All extra touch screen/pen enabled features should be a "bonus" to already good interface.
I don't know what to say, that might be because when my PDF lands in my ereader it was already browsed to see the content and I am pretty much decided to read it all the way to its end page by page (mostly)
Having the content button also helps with jumping when reading.
The use of that bar is, as you also use it, just to randomly browse the document, especially since you do not have much control to jump to a specific page.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #926
PF4Mobile
Guru

@Booxtor: please ignore the request to change the default colour for highlighting to yellow. (I think the current one is a sort of grey.
After moving the document on the desktop it is possible to use Adobe Acrobat to select all the highlights and to change their colour with one click.
The programmers can focus on something more useful, this is "nice to have".

thanks
PF
Old 11-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #927
Mono
Mono

Quote:
I don't know what to say, that might be because when my PDF lands in my ereader it was already browsed to see the content and I am pretty much decided to read it all the way to its end page by page (mostly)
That's right, but if you look up something in a dictionary or manual or long paper that you've already read. Or just want to open a book on 'random' page. Then slider is invaluable.

The main reason, I didn't ask for < > icons is, that it would make slider shorter and so navigation using it coarser...

I tell you, it is not easy to make a good interface that suits most users.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #928
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
That's right, but if you look up something in a dictionary or manual or long paper that you've already read. Or just want to open a book on 'random' page. Then slider is invaluable.

The main reason, I didn't ask for < > icons is, that it would make slider shorter and so navigation using it coarser...

I tell you, it is not easy to make a good interface that suits most users.
Probably a highly customizable one will make everybody happy.
If the elements of the bar can be customized then it can have any buttons as the user wants
Old 11-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #929
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Quote:
Probably a highly customizable one will make everybody happy.
If the elements of the bar can be customized then it can have any buttons as the user wants
Yes, but this is really hard to achieve in most cases. Firefox and Thunderbird (based on xulrunner) are big exceptions. If you write your application with GTK (for instance) you will probably despair trying to make the UI customizable. I can't say for sure how hard it is with Qt though...

But I certainly second your proposal in general
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #930
Mono
Mono

Sure, I am not against it.

I do not know Qt, so I do not know how difficult it would be and if it is possible at all.

But, what could be done is possibility to remove/add < > and/or page slider and modify number of tools in toolbar according to given setup. It is 4 combinations (just toolbar, TB+< >, TB + slider, TB + slider + < >). If nothing, more could be done (because of possible limitations by Qt) at least more tools could be placed on toolbar and so higher possibility that there is the one needed.

Instead of user definable toolbar (which might be rather difficult to programm) self learning toolbar could be made (if Qt allows it). Toolbar would show last n used tools and their placement would be according to frequcency of usage (e.g. the most often used the most left, the least used the most right).

It would have to be tested in real life, but it seems to me it could work quite well. There would be last n used tools. If the tool is not there, one has to go to normal menu, but since then it will be on toolbar. And also the placement of icons should not float too much as it is used on usage statistics.

If the freeze/unfreeze function would be added, one could temporarily prevent toolbar from selflearning by selecting freeze. Reconfiguring toolbar might be done when unfreeze is selected.

But anyway. Current toolbar is a big step towards good workflow.