Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 05:31 AM   #1
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Pee Wee as an ebook reader?

Anyone got thoughts on the new Pee Wee Pivot Tablet Laptop that's just been announced on SlashGear?

link http://www.peeweepc.com

I've often wished my Asus had a swivel screen so I could use it to read ebooks in comfort.

I know this gadget is aimed at rugrats but I could live with that. I'd like to know if it has a jog button and other control buttons available when you're using it in tablet mode.

I'm currently using an Acer c200 tablet as a pdf ebook reader. It does a fine job with buttons on the tablet to manipulate pdf's without resorting to the pen. But the Acer is large and bulky to hold and carry around. The Pee Wee looks like it might be better.

Hopefully, Asus and other netbook makers will copy the Pee Wee and make their screens swivelable.

Ummm --- I should have asked Mr Google first. The Pee Wee is a re-badged Intel Classmate Convertible PC available from other vendors cheaper and without the kiddy stuff loaded on it.

And it looks like it DOESN'T have any buttons on the tablet frame so you'd need to touch the screen to turn pages etc.

Last edited by RCR; 04-30-2009 at 05:59 AM. Reason: got more info
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
This is probably the Classmate Gen3 tablet PC. There is more of a discussion in another thread (search for "Classmate"). BTW - I have one and it works quite well for reading in portrait mode and as a tablet (again in portrait) as long as you turn the backlight way down. No side keys though - that would be great. I find that I have to use the pointer and it's a bit of a pain. Also, the screen backlight stays pretty bright - even on "0" setting.

In many ways I prefer my 7" held on the side like a book and use the space bar or page-down to move to the next page of a book. But the 9" screen does display alot of info!
Asus has announced plans for both a 9" (T91?) and a 10" tablet versions.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Anyone got thoughts on the new Pee Wee Pivot Tablet Laptop that's just been announced on SlashGear?

link http://www.peeweepc.com

I've often wished my Asus had a swivel screen so I could use it to read ebooks in comfort.

I know this gadget is aimed at rugrats but I could live with that. I'd like to know if it has a jog button and other control buttons available when you're using it in tablet mode.

I'm currently using an Acer c200 tablet as a pdf ebook reader. It does a fine job with buttons on the tablet to manipulate pdf's without resorting to the pen. But the Acer is large and bulky to hold and carry around. The Pee Wee looks like it might be better.

Hopefully, Asus and other netbook makers will copy the Pee Wee and make their screens swivelable.

Ummm --- I should have asked Mr Google first. The Pee Wee is a re-badged Intel Classmate Convertible PC available from other vendors cheaper and without the kiddy stuff loaded on it.

And it looks like it DOESN'T have any buttons on the tablet frame so you'd need to touch the screen to turn pages etc.

I've just purchased - and received - my Dell Mini 12 (refurbished) from Dell's Outlet store. Cost me $359, comes with a 12" display, *80GB* HD, STILL weighs less than 3 pounds and is a sight better than the Pee Wee PC. I've decided to dedicate it to reading and writing and after the first few hours getting used to such a LIGHT device, I couldn't be happier!

Yes, I've got Mobipocket Reader, Stanza and eReader Pro installed already.

Note the photos that show just how SMALL a 12" netbook is compared to a full-size keyboard and 19" LCD monitor.

Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4699.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	28331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4704.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	28332  
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
I'm a bit late in responding, but I've had my Mirus version of the PeeWee for three weeks now. My verdict? Perhaps the most well-thought-out and enjoyable computer I have ever owned. It has it's caveats but it's positive areas make it a real winner.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote