Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #1
sbmk
sbmk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2014
Post Trying to run KUAL on a KT2

Hi,

Is there a way to install KUAL on a KT2 (90c6) with 5.6.0.1 FW ?
I have a root access on it (serial), I think I managed to jailbreak it but when I try to open "KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2", it show an error popup and stops.

Thanks for any kind of help
sbmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
New problem, new thread.
Please start a new thread for this topic of getting KUAL to work on new devices.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Moved to a new thread.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What error message do you see?

I am pretty sure people have reported the KT2 firmware does support Active Content.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

I am pretty sure people have reported the KT2 firmware does support Active Content.
We had reports that 5.6.0.x did and one unconfirmed report that 5.6.2.y does not.
No news that I can recall about 5.6.1.z (pw1, pw3).

We are waiting for more information, so that the version that dropped Active Documents (either intentionally or by accident (again) ) may be identified.

That KT2 may have OTA updated already.

Note:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262279

(And if things get really bad, we can probably come up with copies of the initial factory firmware installation for the KT2, PW3 and KV. Some of the people around here will keep copies of anything that stands still long enough.)

Last edited by knc1; 07-09-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Advert
Old 07-09-2015, 11:58 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
IIRC, people potentially had better success on whatever FW came before 5.6.2.x on the KV & KT2? (Or was that on 5.6.2.x already?).

Anyway, that came as a surprise, since Active Content has supposedly been deprecated by Amazon.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:55 AM   #7
sbmk

Quote:

As my Kindle is in french, I'll try to translate it. It's something like "the selected application could't be started. Please try again"
Old 07-10-2015, 03:09 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Generic error message, which usually shows itself at least once.

Due to the way KUAL works, it will usually crash on a cold start (no cache after rebooting) and/or when trying to start too soon after a reboot. Subsequent attempts to launch it should work as expected.

Did you try it again?
Old 07-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #9
sbmk

Quote:
Generic error message, which usually shows itself at least once.

Due to the way KUAL works, it will usually crash on a cold start (no cache after rebooting) and/or when trying to start too soon after a reboot. Subsequent attempts to launch it should work as expected.

Did you try it again?
My last attemp was just after rebooting the Kindle, but I've just tried (nine hours later) and it's still the same ...
Old 07-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'm *fairly* sure it's not even *supposed* to work on 5.6.0.x

Double and triple check the forums to find the reports of people getting it to work on newer FW versions on the KT2/KV, although, as usual with FW updates, here be dragons.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-11-2015 at 03:48 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I *fairly* sure it's not even *supposed* to work on 5.6.0.x
- - - -
Hmm...

Well we know from experience that Amazon/Lab126 can, by accident, disable Active Content.

So I suppose it is possible that they could, by accident, leave it enabled.

But it sure does make understanding what the actual situation is difficult.

- - - -

This is a first for Amazon/Lab126 -
That they are trying to support 5 (five) device models with system updates.

In the past, they only actively supported 2 or 3 device models.
And just that showed signs that it was straining their development management to the breaking point.

I guess all we can do is sit back and keep track of what they do, hoping for a "big time" mistake to get shipped that will offer our users some relief.

Something like a: 5.6.Jail.Break.Me firmware version.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #12
KrautHolg
KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: PW3, K4NT, KT, KT2 5.6.0 (2443690034)
KT2 Trying to run KUAL on a KT2

Firstly, thanks a LOT for all your work, guys!

Quote:

Secondly, error message is "Application Error The selected application could not be started. Please try again. Close" Running a freshly jailbroken and hotfixed 5.6.0 (2443690034).

And now for something completely different: How come I can log in here on Firefox, but not on Google Chrome? Have to delete the browser cache?

Best,

KrautHolg

Last edited by KrautHolg; 07-10-2016 at 03:20 AM.
KrautHolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:14 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Same story -- that is the generic error message, probably indicating KUAL has crashed.

And same answer -- try it again, it usually starts the second time.

I have no idea why MobileRead might not like Google Chrome. But then, I don't like Google Chrome either, so I haven't tried.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:06 AM   #14
KrautHolg
KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.KrautHolg can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: PW3, K4NT, KT, KT2 5.6.0 (2443690034)
Sorry, somehow my edit of the post has not worked. I did reboot and tried again, but it stays the same.
KrautHolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:45 AM   #15
GreatSyxsuke
Enthusiast
GreatSyxsuke doesn't litterGreatSyxsuke doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Mine did the same thing when it was freshly rooted until I updated to 5.6.5. No clue why but it does work now. My suggestion is to just update it, reapply the hotfix and then KUAL should work.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-10-2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: hoyfux ==> hotfix; was very distracting error :o
GreatSyxsuke is offline   Reply With Quote