Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #16
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
Not everyone thinks that his or her Paperwhite is defective. In particular first-time users may be less inclined to think that something is wrong with their device.
Exactly
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I really did like the paperwhite until I noticed that my fingerprints affected the light, making it very uneven so I had to clean the screen constantly and try to touch it as little as possible. Got tired of this, so I am returning it.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #18
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Tried three units. Reading in the dark sucked on all of them. (Color blobs, light specks, uneven lighting.)

I am a VERY longtime e-book reader, including stuff like using old Palm Pilots, and the Sony PRS-700. I'm also a technology 'early adopter' and usually quite happy about it. With this context in mind, Paperwhite did not live up to the expectations created by Amazon.

I'm completely fine with other people being happy with theirs, though--their money can go to fund Amazon designing a better model for me later.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #19
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...91&postcount=6

Just to put OP's opening post into perspective : he started with e-reader a month ago, and has used two so far. His various posts on the subject go from extatic to horrified, often on the same device, so I don't think, with all due respect, that this thread reflects a huge experience with e-reader on his part, and I am very sure he does not know all the Kindle (or the Nook for that matter) options and possibilities. Which leaves me wondering whether this thread is a naive attempt at discussing the kindle, or a mere provocative one to keep us busy on a bank holiday (at least it is here).

I think he is just bashing the paperwhite to make himself feel better about his nook glo.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #20
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
With this context in mind, Paperwhite did not live up to the expectations created by Amazon.
Which is a pretty important aspect of this whole thing. When you mix advertising that is too rosy, with QC problems, you will get flak for it. Deservedly so.

I still need to see the Kobo, but it's pretty important to point out that assuming you get a good screen, you are still trading off one thing for another with these devices. Paperwhite dims at the bottom, Nook is brighter at the top with a weird dimming right below it. Paperwhite looks more like a glowing page, while Nook looks a bit more like a lit overlay.

None of the technologies are perfect, and I think it's fair to say that again assuming you get a good screen in both cases, the difference is more subjective than objective. I still plan to get a Kobo Glo and see for myself what has been done there.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #21
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I think that Kobo did a good thing by putting the black information bar at the bottom to hide the shadowing from the LED spacing... if the Kindle had something similar there'd probably be far fewer complaints too.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #22
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
I think he is just bashing the paperwhite to make himself feel better about his nook glo.
I definitely am not bashing KPW to make myself feel better.. I just stated that Amazon with all the money they have ...should have offered a better product.. I love Amazon.. great service etc.. but if I was head of the KPW division I would have made it great, so there were no questions on what the best eReader is on the Market Place.. they didn't do that.. they threw out a cheap inferior product hoping it would be OK.. not for me..
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #23
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I think that Kobo did a good thing by putting the black information bar at the bottom to hide the shadowing from the LED spacing... if the Kindle had something similar there'd probably be far fewer complaints too.
Does that bar stay on the bottom when you're reading a book too?
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #24
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
I am really interested in figuring out if the screen on the PW if you ignore the lights (dim them or turn them off) looks better than other screens. The selling point on the PW for me is mainly the higher resolution - the light would be an added benefit.

I like the look of my wifes new Kindle touch, and if the PW is equally good looking or better that would be enough to put it on my to buy list.

(Unlike my wife, I don't mind waiting a bit for my reader - using phone for now. She seen it in Walmart, said "OWWWWWW, I want it" and that is how it got into the cart )
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Does that bar stay on the bottom when you're reading a book too?
There is the option to have the bar present or clear. Personally I have it clear since there is really only a smudge across the bottom of the screen with the Kobo rather than distinct cones of darkness and I find the bar more distracting.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #26
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
they threw out a cheap inferior product hoping it would be OK..
The thing is, not everyone find the PW to be inferior. I've owned the original Kindle, a K2, a K3, a Touch, and a DX, and for me, the PW is a great improvement over all of them. I find the lighting to be very even, and the contrast to be very good.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #27
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
but if I was head of the KPW division
Wow....

I guess we got really lucky then....

Last edited by aceflor; 11-02-2012 at 02:23 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #28
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I am really interested in figuring out if the screen on the PW if you ignore the lights (dim them or turn them off) looks better than other screens. The selling point on the PW for me is mainly the higher resolution - the light would be an added benefit.

I like the look of my wifes new Kindle touch, and if the PW is equally good looking or better that would be enough to put it on my to buy list.

(Unlike my wife, I don't mind waiting a bit for my reader - using phone for now. She seen it in Walmart, said "OWWWWWW, I want it" and that is how it got into the cart )
Without the light it is the best screen resolution I have ever seen on an e-ink device, and I have seen many.

With the light it depends on the screen you get, as well as how sensitive you are to shadows. The resolution stays excellent, but the shadows can be more or less apparent on different devices. I am happy with mine, although it has some shadows on the bottom part, but I am so into my reading that I do not notice it and it does not bother me at all.

Last edited by aceflor; 11-02-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #29
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Without the light it is the best screen resolution I have ever seen on an e-ink device, and I have seen many.

With the light it depends on the screen you get, as well as how sensitive you are to shadows. The resolution stays excellent, but the shadows can be more or less apparent on different devices. I am happy with mine. [...]
Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. If there is the possibility of one light differing from another, maybe I will wait until my Walmart got one in stock as to make an exchange easier.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #30
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. If there is the possibility of one light differing from another, maybe I will wait until my Walmart got one in stock as to make an exchange easier.
Yes, that would be the best actually. I have a second PW on order and am a bit unsure what to do.. But since I live in Europe (not in the UK) I really don't know when the device will be in the shops.