Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Doing a side-by-side comparison - what do you observe?
T1 screen background is definitely darker than Kindle 3 12 35.29%
T1 screen background is definitely darker than PRS-650 3 8.82%
T1 screen is absolutely identical to Kindle 3 11 32.35%
T1 screen is absolutely identical to PRS-650 11 32.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2011, 04:49 AM   #1
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Exclamation Inferior screen compared to Kindle3, PRS-650, etc.?

Hi!

When I compared the T1 side-by-side to the Kindle3 it seemed that the T1's screen background was slightly darker!

But both devices are said to have the same eInk Pearl screen...

So what do you say? Is it manufactoring tolerances causing a variation in screen contrast?

The new Kindle4 is said to have an inferior screen too, i.e. less contrast / darker, despite being an eInk Pearl device, see e.g. http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...x2I1AI3Q0JX77Z

Maybe Sony chose the same cost reducing strategy than Amazon...

Last edited by uboot; 11-09-2011 at 05:03 AM.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:01 AM   #2
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
I find the T1's screen quite dark too.

Presumably the underlying e-ink screens have changed since the K3 came out, and the K4 and T1 are using the new ones.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Presumably the underlying e-ink screens have changed since the K3 came out, and the K4 and T1 are using the new ones.
Nope, K4 has screen which is worse than K3, actually.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...er,3040-3.html

Quote:
We called up E Ink Corporation to ask if this was a batch-related issue, and was told that this is most likely due to Amazon choosing a particular grade of display panels. So, while the new Kindle comes at a lower price, the company is probably cutting its costs as well by using a slightly cheaper display.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
You forgot to underline "this is most likely".
IMHO, it means :
A : they have no idea
B : there are different quality of Pearl screen, like for a lot of components, but eInk's tolerance is a bit too high, and people can actually see differences between 2 theorically identic screen.

A lot of people have also said they feel Kindle 4's screen is better than Kindle's 3. I have both and feel Kindle 4 is slightly better. Someone actually measured both screen, and found whites are almost identical, but blacks were better on Kindle 4 so it had a better contrast. Maybe with a different Kindle 3, and a different Kindle 4 he would observe a better screen on the Kindle 3. I had before a PRS 650, PRS 350 which had (to my eyes identical screen), and a PRS 950 which showed a grayer background. From all of this I conclude either EInk's tolerance on screen manufacturing is a bit too high, or maybe there are parameters proper to each device which can impact the rendering.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
have both and feel Kindle 4 is slightly better.
Article talks about the cheapest K4 model.
They:
1) noticed its inferior to previous models
2) called the manufacturer to figure, if amazon tried to save costs there
3) got confirmation that indeed amazon spared money on the screen
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have read the article before. They said "this is most likely [...]". If it was a person from eInk who knew what was going on, and really knew the details of the deal between Amazon and eInk, they wouldn't have used the words "most likely". So IMHO, this person from eInk don't know. And, as I said in my previous post, someone on this forum made measures and found out contrast on the Kindle 4 was better than Kindle 3. There is only one Kindle "4" out so far : the Kindle "Non Touch". I see also a difference between the Kindle 4 and the Kindle 3 in favor of Kindle 4, some also have both and see a better screen on the Kindle 3. Some people had 2 Kindle 3 and had a different quality in screens.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Seems OK to me, no noticeable difference.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:27 AM   #8
JayB
Enthusiast
JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950 PRS-300
Doing a side by side with my 950 I think the screen on the T1 looks better. Lighter background and about the same darkness in text.

I'm not sure if its just the black bezel giving the illusion of the better contrast. I will say that the T1 in no way has a worse screen then my 950 its either the same or slightly better.

I am averaging 1 crash per day on the T1 where as the 950 never crashed in a whole year of daily usage.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
I've compared the 350, 950 and T1. The best screen with the most contrast is the T1, at least in my experience. As Papi says, the 950 is slightly darker, perhaps because it's larger. The 350 seems to have slightly less contrast than the T1, but it's scarcely noticeable. The T1 badly needs a firmware upgrade, as it is not as stable as it should be.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
I have read the article before. They said "this is most likely [...]". If it was a person from eInk who knew what was going on, and really knew the details of the deal between Amazon and eInk, they wouldn't have used the words "most likely".
So if amazon buys "special grade" screens for its cheapest model (note that they weren't talking about all K4's), what kind of "special grade" could it be? Would someone expect it to be higher quality than on more expensive models?

eInk person could avoid saying anything in a definitive way to avoid rage from a major customer.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
kartu
PRS+ author

PS
Comparison photo by Theonna:

Kindle 4 on the left, T1 on the right

more images.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
PS

more images.
How do you know which is which?
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #13
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
How do you know which is which?
comment to the image
Old 11-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
PS

more images.
Ouch. T1 > K4. Pwned!
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #15
Papi
Addict

Quote:
So if amazon buys "special grade" screens for its cheapest model (note that they weren't talking about all K4's), what kind of "special grade" could it be? Would someone expect it to be higher quality than on more expensive models?
Well, my point is there is no "special grade" ! There's just a unique Pearl model, but (again that is only my guess) maybe the manufacturing process makes it hard or too expensive to have a homogeneous product. Or maybe there are different factories with slightly different processes. I don't believe this "special grade" story, and I explained why. tomhardware makes measures and finds out Kindle 3 screen is better than Kindle NT. Someone here makes measures and finds out the opposite. We don't talk about people's impression here, these are numbers. We have people saying they have 2 Kindle 3, and they are different. I had the whole PRS serie, and the 950 was grayer. This doesn't exclude the special grade theory, but makes it hard for me to believe.
Also, I would add that if a manufacturer as Sony for example paid more for a "special grade", they would want to advertise it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu
eInk person could avoid saying anything in a definitive way to avoid rage from a major customer.
I don't believe that either, it's embarrassing enough that they suggested it ! I wonder why Amazon didn't answer to that, maybe it's not enough important or they didn't heard about it...or it's indeed true ! But, it would be also embarrassing for eInk to admit they can't deliver a product homogeneous enough for people to not see a difference !