Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
nounlu
nounlu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quick way to fix simple things in mobi

Hello guys,

I would like to know if there is a quick way to fix simple things like deleting section breaks and adding page breaks. So is there a tool that will let me open a mobi books, delete, delete, delete, and save?

Or what would be the easiest way to accomplish this task?

Thank you
nounlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Not that I know of.
You have to "unpack" the mobi first, you can find the script (mobi2html) for that in the sticky mobi2mobi gui thread.
With a decent HTML editor, like notepad++ (Open Source & Free) you can clean up the code, and than use mobipocket creator to build the mobi file again (or the html2mobi command line tool).
With notepad++ you can search and replace several identical instances at once.
Example: if you look at the HTML and find all chapters start with <h2> tags, you can replace them with <mbp:pagebreak/><h2> and you get the break before the chapter...
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Might be easier to convert the book to ePub with Calibre, edit it with Sigil, and then convert back to Mobi. Mobi to ePub conversion is pretty "lossless" in my experience.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

But ePub to mobi messes formatting up IMHO, at least with the ePubs I tried converting for convenient kindle-reading
Old 08-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
nounlu

bear4hunter,

Great info thank you.

In the process of converting mobi to html, fix the errors and convert back to mobi, does the book not loose the metadata and toc etc. or would it go back to it's original state except the changes I make?

HarryT,

I was initially hoping for a sigil like tool for mobi but I think I may also try your idea to see which one works the best. Does metadata, toc stay the same after conversion?
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
bear4hunter
Addict

With mobipocket creator, you can enter the metadata before compiling, you can also link to the TOC etc.
just make sure you have a TOC inside the HTML, and the TOC is anchored, like <a name="TOC"/>
In Creator, you can add the Guide Item for the TOC etc. It takes little time to get use, but the learning curve is not steep and very short.

Using mobi2mobi (a script coming along with the aforementioned GUI as well), you can edit/alter/add some metadata as well, so does the GUI using the script.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Mobiunpack.py will extract all html/images from a mobi and create an opf file. You can edit the html and then just import the opf file into MobiPocket creator (or KindleGen) to recreate the mobi.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=774836
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
nounlu

Does the opf file contain the metadata and toc also?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear4hunter View Post
But ePub to mobi messes formatting up IMHO, at least with the ePubs I tried converting for convenient kindle-reading
Not with ePubs that have been converted from Mobi in the first place. You can convert back and forth between the two formats essentially losslessly if your starting format is Mobi. I create all my ebooks originally in Mobi and then convert that to ePub.

To answer a question from another post: yes, a Mobi TOC and metadata will "survive" a conversion to and then back from ePub format unscathed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The opf contains the metadata and if the mobi has a toc, then the opf has a link in the "guide" section of the manifest that points to the toc's fileposition, yes.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
nounlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not with ePubs that have been converted from Mobi in the first place. You can convert back and forth between the two formats essentially losslessly if your starting format is Mobi. I create all my ebooks originally in Mobi and then convert that to ePub.

To answer a question from another post: yes, a Mobi TOC and metadata will "survive" a conversion to and then back from ePub format unscathed.
Wow, that is great news for me. So I can easily convert mobi to epub and edit with sigil and convert it back. I will try this first. If I don't succeed, I will try the opf option. Thanks for all the responses.