Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
LRF Format and the 600

During my conversation with Sony Technical Support for another issue, I happened to mention that the ebooks that I had loaded on my 600 were in the lrf format. He explained to me that that wasn't possible because the 600 does not recognize the lrf format. I then told him that I had indeed been reading ebooks in that format on my 600 (converted to LRF using the fabulous Calibre software) and that they worked just fine. Indeed, I actually like the look of the ebooks better on the 600 than the 700. There are more text lines per page with less space between lines, while the font size (I use the M size) remains the same. He was shocked and preceeded to rattle off the list of acceptable formats, ePub being the favored son. I patiently (okay, I wasn't all that patient considering I had had to hang up once already with the first tech guy I spoke with who kept me listening to dead air for 30 minutes) listened and then told him that they need to update their specs.

So, anybody else able to read lrf ebooks on their 600?
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
So, anybody else able to read lrf ebooks on their 600?
Crazy support. BBeB Book (Non DRM) is lrf.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Crazy support. BBeB Book (Non DRM) is lrf.
I know, Right?!?! You would think they would know more about this stuff than I do!
Old 09-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
What did you expect from Tech Support?
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I have 921 LRF books on my 600 and they work fine, they are listed by sony on the box !! they are sonys native format, idiots lol
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Yikes. And yet, I'm sure he tried to make you feel like a total idiot. (And yes, I have LRFs on my 600).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
In the reader’s manual:
http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/So...set-166216.pdf, “Book types supported by the Reader” it says that BBeB is supported (that’s lfr whenthe eBook is not drm).

In this strange economy times (in my company for sure) would cost the lovely employees their job…
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Yikes. And yet, I'm sure he tried to make you feel like a total idiot. (And yes, I have LRFs on my 600).
He did until I started explaining things to him. I love it when you get a tech support person who thinks I am totally clueless about the technology I'm using. In their defense, the last person I would want to deal with on the other end of a tech support call is my 78 year old father who thinks he's computer savvy! Ouch!! I'm sure they get a lot of those calls.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Indeed, I actually like the look of the ebooks better on the 600 than the 700. There are more text lines per page with less space between lines, while the font size (I use the M size) remains the same.
OMG they changed the LRF render? really? hmm.

I spent alot of time getting the right settings in book designer to make my LRFs look just right and easy to read. I probably changed the settings 30 or 40 times.

I personally like more white space between lines and borders (although I do get some pleasure from it knowing jswolf hates white space)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
OMG they changed the LRF render? really? hmm.

I spent alot of time getting the right settings in book designer to make my LRFs look just right and easy to read. I probably changed the settings 30 or 40 times.

I personally like more white space between lines and borders (although I do get some pleasure from it knowing jswolf hates white space)
For shame, Andybaby, picking on the Wolf!!

I prefer more lines per page for less page turns but as I am fond of saying, "To each his own!" I was actually a little surprised and disconcerted at first, even going so far as to getting out the measuring tool I use for jewelry making to measure the font size. I thought they were using a smaller font for the M font size where I have created all my Bookmarks with comments and was afraid I would have to redo everything. Thankfully, it is exactly the same (confirmed by my older children who are not as eyesight challenged as I am ). The darker print on the 600 makes it much easier for me to read, as well, even without the greater space between text lines.

As for page turns, the one thing I like least about the new 600 is the fact that the screen is no longer flush with the black border of the device. There is a lip or edge, much like a picture frame, and if you are a thumb swiper like I am your thumb comes up against the "frame" with each swipe. Because I have some slight arthritis in my hands and in particular my thumbs, the change in swiping is noticeable for me. It takes a little getting use to and I'm not quite "there" yet but I'm sure I'll get there over time and use. The other change that has taken me some time to get used to is that there is a suttle texture to the screen that wasn't present on the 700's touchscreen. It's not bad just different.