Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #31
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
Yes Harry is was a 'sweetener' idea but I've finished reading those books (junk fiction) so I wouldn't re-load them again on to my 700. To my way of thinking these are 2nd hand books and I am trying to legally pass them on to the next owner. By selling the reader with the registered books on board I am still abiding by Sony's 'rules' (1 book - 1 device). Gotcha!

Hughdal
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughdal View Post
Yes Harry is was a 'sweetener' idea but I've finished reading those books (junk fiction) so I wouldn't re-load them again on to my 700. To my way of thinking these are 2nd hand books and I am trying to legally pass them on to the next owner. By selling the reader with the registered books on board I am still abiding by Sony's 'rules' (1 book - 1 device). Gotcha!

Hughdal
In my case, I could sell or give away my account as the credit card currently registered there is invalid. But if your account has a valid card registered, you'd need a new valid card in order to change it. And do you really think an unknown person would give that to you? Nope.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Hughdal
Understood. You could do that by transferring the entire Connect account over to the new purchaser. What the practicalities of doing that are, I don't know.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:39 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Understood. You could do that by transferring the entire Connect account over to the new purchaser. What the practicalities of doing that are, I don't know.
By transferring the account, you also transfer the credit card details registered to that account and if the card is still valid, then that person could just use it to purchase more books.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A given computer can only be registered once. So you could not use your computer on multiple accounts. Just like your reader can only be registered to one account. So basically, you can have one computer and 5 readers registered at most.
That's what I figured... but that is still per account. So, if you have two PCs and two accounts you can have 12 devices.

Does anyone know if the Sony software sees each VM as a different PC device?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
By transferring the account, you also transfer the credit card details registered to that account and if the card is still valid, then that person could just use it to purchase more books.
Can't you just remove the card? Or, edit it to a one time card that you then cancel? I think transferring an account wouldn't be a big deal... but, of course, once you transfer it the new owner should certainly change the password as their first action.

BOb
Old 10-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #37
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Perhaps I could max out the memory with my best sellers, innstruct the rentor not to register the reader until they have read all the books and 'rent' the 500 as a collection. When they had finished reading the books they could then register the reader (which would invalidate the books in memeory) and buy or download their own reading material. Would that be legal?

Hughdal
Old 10-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Perhaps I could max out the memory with my best sellers, innstruct the rentor not to register the reader until they have read all the books and 'rent' the 500 as a collection. When they had finished reading the books they could then register the reader (which would invalidate the books in memeory) and buy or download their own reading material. Would that be legal?

Hughdal
I don't think any of this is actually legal but it would circumvent the enforcement.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #39
heatherc
Enthusiast
heatherc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
If you have to keep asking if it's legal and how to do it so that you can circumvent the EULA you agreed to with Sony...don't you think that's a pretty good indication that what you're doing isn't allowed under those rules?

You agreed to the rules when you bought the books. DRM sucks - I agree - but not liking the rules doesn't give you carte blanche to willfully disregard them.
heatherc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:05 AM   #40
Hughdal
Connoisseur

I think it's time to close this thread. Thanks for all the input and brainstorming from the mobilread forum members. It's been enlightning (kind of like the PRS700). End of the day my PRS500 will either get passed on to a friend or family member (minus books) or spend the remainder of it's day's gathering dust in the back of a closet as it's battery slowly drains away until...........

Hughdal
Old 10-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #41
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
the topic of DRM seems quite complex to me.
I wanted to know, imagine you buy a device second hand, you can't buy any books unless the previous owner unregisters the connection between his account and the kindle you bought?

Also, suppose you have some ebooks on a PRS-505, and someone steals the device,
can you buy a new device (eg: PRS-700) and still download previous books on the 700, without needing to pay them all over again?

Another question:
Suppose you register a 505 on your name. Someone steals it, and sells it on ebay.
The buyer did not do anything illegal, since he never knew in the first place that the device was stolen. But he won't be able to buy any ebooks,right?
On top of that, you (who lost the 505),buy another device (700)and want to buy new books for your 700. Do they also appear on the 505 when the new owner connect it to the internet?

Can I buy e-books on various computers,or is it really limited to 1 computer?

This topic makes me a bit uneasy concerning buying second hand readers off the internet.

I'm sure one could press the 'reset' button on the back, but I doubt that would solve the issue of buying books...
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Can't you just remove the card? Or, edit it to a one time card that you then cancel? I think transferring an account wouldn't be a big deal... but, of course, once you transfer it the new owner should certainly change the password as their first action.

BOb
The card has to be legit when the details are entered. And getting a card just to put in new details just to be able to give away or sell the account is not good for your credit rating.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That's what I figured... but that is still per account. So, if you have two PCs and two accounts you can have 12 devices.

Does anyone know if the Sony software sees each VM as a different PC device?

BOb
When my wife and I had seperate accounts, we could have had a total of 10 registered readers. But her reader would not rewad books in my account and visa-versa. And when you plug in your reader to a different account and authorize it, the books from the account the reader used to be registered with no longer work. But the books to the account it's now registered to will work.

No idea on the VM sessions.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The card has to be legit when the details are entered. And getting a card just to put in new details just to be able to give away or sell the account is not good for your credit rating.
What getting a card. I just go onto Citibanks web site, and request a one time use number. I set the limit to .10 or something and use that. Once I've done that I can go into citibank and cancel that card.

BOb
Old 10-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #45
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
What getting a card. I just go onto Citibanks web site, and request a one time use number. I set the limit to .10 or something and use that. Once I've done that I can go into citibank and cancel that card.

BOb
Not jumping on your post, Bob, just jumping in. Of course, ALL of this can be avoided if you avoid DRM. I know it doesn't really need to be said, but the fact that people are going through all this is ridiculous. It's not anybodies fault, I blame Sony.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote