Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Fictionwise has both titles in MSReader.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #17
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hey Nate, I have a question....

I can usually unlock pdf's and convert them to something my reader will handle. What exactly does it mean by "secure" pdf? Or would it be better to get one of the other two versions and try to convert it?

THANKS!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
"Secure"means the PDF has DRM. I don't know of any widely available method to remove the DRM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #19
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Oddly, these books are mentioned on the Baen Books Webscriptions site, but listed as "not currently available". But if, like my dad, you have a free disability subscription to the site, they are both downloadable in several non-DRM formats.

Fans of Vinge may like to know, if they don't know already, that his latest novel, "Rainbows End", is available for free here http://vrinimi.org/rainbowsend.html in html format. Haven't read it yet, so I can't comment.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #20
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks for that link!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #21
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
*shudders*

I don't think I could bring myself to cut up a book I liked. That's just wrong - wrong I tell you!
A long time ago, I worked for a library. One of the chores I still remember with a shudder was being told to destroy a set of the Encyclopedia Britannica. It had been badly damaged by patrons, and was being thrown out and replaced, but it still felt like sacrilege.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 06-20-2008 at 04:51 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #22
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
A long time ago, I worked for a library. One of the chosres I still remember with a shudder was being told to destroy a set of the Encyclopedia Britannica. It had been badly damaged by patrons, and was being thrown out and replaced, but it still felt like sacrilege.
______
Dennis
i don't think i would have been able to do it. once when i returned a very old, beat-up, dusty, slightly sticky book* to the library, the librarian took it rather gingerly between 2 fingers and said something like "no hurry to return this one, i think it's going straight to the trash." i was shocked speechless with horror for a moment. instantly i regretted having turned the book in to meet such a cruel fate.

*it was already in that state when i borrowed it, i hasten to add.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #23
beowulf573
Addict
beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Try to find a copy of this. You may be able to track a copy down, even though they seem to be rare. I was lucky enough to order one in 1993.
beowulf573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #24
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf573 View Post
Try to find a copy of this. You may be able to track a copy down, even though they seem to be rare. I was lucky enough to order one in 1993.
I have one. The Science Fiction Writers of America has an Emergency Medical Fund, to benefit members who incur medical expenses and aren't covered by insurance (like, most freelancers...). EMF Benefit auctions are held at various SF cons around the country. A copy of it was donated to a con a couple of years back as an auction item to raise EMF funds, and I bid and won. Finding something I could use to read the RTF versions of the works included on my PDA was a bit of a challenge, but they are a happy part of my portable library.
______
Dennis
Old 06-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Oddly, these books are mentioned on the Baen Books Webscriptions site, but listed as "not currently available". But if, like my dad, you have a free disability subscription to the site, they are both downloadable in several non-DRM formats.

Fans of Vinge may like to know, if they don't know already, that his latest novel, "Rainbows End", is available for free here http://vrinimi.org/rainbowsend.html in html format. Haven't read it yet, so I can't comment.
What sort of disabilities does Baen recognize?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #26
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Fictionwise has both titles in MSReader.
Woah I missed that completely. I thought I had looked there first!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:34 AM   #27
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What sort of disabilities does Baen recognize?
Just about anything that makes it difficult for one to read. The original program was inspired by interaction with Jimmy Grimes (now deceased) who had tremendous physical problems reading paper books. His situation also inspired ReadAssist.org. They're really quite flexible.

btw, the reason Vernor Vinge's books are marked "not currently available" is that there was a shortlived experiment between Tor and Baen, where Tor books were to be released by Webscriptions. High mucketymucks at Tor's parent company pulled it back for further negotiations, but not until some people had already purchased it. Baen keeps it available for those who bought it, but not for new sales. (on the good side, there are new high mucketymucks, and negotiations are ongoing again. There may eventually be more Tor Webscriptions.)
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:03 AM   #28
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
btw, the reason Vernor Vinge's books are marked "not currently available" is that there was a shortlived experiment between Tor and Baen, where Tor books were to be released by Webscriptions. High mucketymucks at Tor's parent company pulled it back for further negotiations, but not until some people had already purchased it. Baen keeps it available for those who bought it, but not for new sales. (on the good side, there are new high mucketymucks, and negotiations are ongoing again. There may eventually be more Tor Webscriptions.)
As I recall, the stumbling block had been the fact that Webscriptions books are released sans DRM. The deal was a go until someone at Tor parent company Holtzbrink realized this and pulled the plug.

I believe Holtzbrink got a new CEO who is opposed to DRM, and reversed the decision, but reinstating the deal is a more complicated matter. It looks like Holtzbrink is trying to unify its US imprints under the Macmillan umbrella.

And Tor sister company St. Martins is dipping its toe into the digital publishing waters, recently releasing the first two mysteries by Julia Spencer-Fleming as free downloads in PDF (both), Amazon Kindle (The first) and Sony Reader (both) formats, as a promotion for her third book, and to get folks to sign up for a mailing list.

Offhand, I'd say the whole bunch are groping for a coherent digital strategy, and it will be interesting to see what shape it finally takes.
______
Dennis
Old 08-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #29
adriatikfan
Enthusiast
adriatikfan began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
I just finished _A Fire Upon The Deep_ by Vernor Vinge and wanted to give a very short review for those who haven't read this.

Absolutely brilliant! This is definitely one of the best real *science* fiction novels I've ever read and I'd say one of the best books from any genre I've ever read. There are countless plot summaries out there and many more comments that pick apart the book so I'll leave that out here.

Very, very good read - highly recommended.
I have to agree - this is a stunning piece of writing.

Best Wishes
David
adriatikfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #30
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
And Tor sister company St. Martins is dipping its toe into the digital publishing waters, recently releasing the first two mysteries by Julia Spencer-Fleming as free downloads in PDF (both), Amazon Kindle (The first) and Sony Reader (both) formats, as a promotion for her third book, and to get folks to sign up for a mailing list.
Amazon offered Kindle editions of the first two books in the series for free -- which I "purchased" on 6 June. This was a promotion in advance of releasing the 6th book in the series. I have since purchased Kindle editions of #3 and #4, but I'm stymied because #5 is not available for the Kindle.

I wrote directly to Ms. Spencer-Fleming and she replied with the e-mail address of a contact at St. Martin's Press. I promptly wrote to this contact and have not received a reply.

Now, I find it easier to forgive TOR for giving us book #1 in lots of series with *none* of the follow-on books available. I can't figure out why in the world St. Martin has chosen to release 1-4 and 6 but not #5. Makes no sense at all.

Reverend Clare Fergusson series:
1. In the Bleak Midwinter (2002)
2. A Fountain Filled with Blood (2003)
3. Out of the Deep I Cry (2004)
4. To Darkness and to Death (2005)
5. All Mortal Flesh (2006)
6. I Shall Not Want (2008)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote