Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
MachinegunDojo
MachinegunDojo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
John Scalzi

OK despite work and those darn things called sleep and hunger I managed to finish off Old Man's War for the second time as well as Ghost Brigades in about 2 days now. Couldn't put them down. I used to think it would be hard to beat Micheal Stackpole(from his Battletech books) but I must say this guy is fantastic and writes the way I think, and doesn't mind the cursing(had to fix up this post a couple times already myself so as to not break any rules).

So anyways, I am hooked and want more. Naturally I'll buy The Last Colony when my check roles in, and will buy again on eInk when my Tax Refund comes in so I can buy a fancier eBook reader than my phone. Until then I want more FREE writing like his, I don't think he has anything else out like his Old Mans War series for Free and it's just heart wrenching to think these three books are it(though I'll buy the Sagan Diaries and Zoes books later for sure.

I kind of enjoyed the Honor Harrington series, but I am hoping for something more like John Scalzi's Old Man's War series with a similar writing if possible. Can anyone suggest me something, I got the itch!
MachinegunDojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I too, like Scalzi. Old Man's War was a free Tor ebook, which convinced me to buy the rest of the series... but to my shock found the aren't available as ebooks. What's that about!? I will buy everything the guy writes, but not when his publisher plays games like that.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
MachinegunDojo
MachinegunDojo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I would agree, but I don't have a real eBook reader yet, I just use my phone for the free stuff I can get and it works for now. I think I've settled on the Kindle when my Tax thing comes in, but that is at least a month away and god help me if the kindle gets back on the backorder like it's been.

Anyways, anyone know any similar books or what? I got a 3 day vacation and no money to spend right now... I guess I could start back in Honor Harrington though, but it's too technical. I love the no bullshit writing of Scalzi better than the technical whitepaper equivalent of David Webber, I do enough of that kind of crap at work haha.
MachinegunDojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
stxopher
Nameless Being

Might try a couple of John Ringos from the free Baen library. He has two from the start of a couple of his more popular series (Hymn Before Battle and There Will Be Dragons).

He also moves a lot of detailed technical data around but it almost always comes in solid blocks that you can skip over very easily if it doesn't interest you.

Cripes, just hit up the free library anyway. I mean, it's FREE! (And being Baen, you'll find support for any reader you eventually get as well as getting good looks at most of their publishing authors.)

(Standard Mobileread disclaimer: Neither this website nor any posters of this website are responsible for any loss of money incurred by overspending due to any recommendation on the part of any members of said website.)

(Yea, I've looked at my download shelf from Webscriptions and Subterranean from there and am STILL happy with the book-dollar ratio spent. Curse you Webscriptions! Curse you to Heck! Curse you---oh, a new month is up!)