Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 08-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
mesamuel
mesamuel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Arc 32 GB
Angry Original Arc is a paperweight

This is not a question, just a whining complaint. I wish I had sprung the extra $30 to buy the Nexus 7 at the time I bought this. I completely regret buying the original 7" Arc tablet. It worked well for a while, although I was annoyed by the message, "This is not compatible with your device" coming up so often when I wanted certain apps from the Play Store. Now, after a year and a half, it's a piece of junk. I have 32 GB and I've only used about 9 GB. It is tediously slow on the internet, sluggish & choppy. It takes forever for the keyboard to appear in order to type, the Swype app keeps skipping letters. It reboots randomly. I can't count the number of times I've wanted to whip this thing out the window. I know Kobo will never have another update to this but it's disappointing that this is a throwaway product. What a waste of money. No one can even be bothered to write about the Arc in the forum anymore because no one cares. I'd never buy one again in any way, shape or form.
mesamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Actually, I'm using mine as an alarm clock.

I have the doubletwist alarm clock installed and I update my work schedule on google calendar.

Every Sunday I update the alarms for the week using the calendar.

It has worked out really well. I have workdays, days off and late workdays.

Plus, since it has a battery, if the power goes out the alarm still works!

PS. I bought a Nexus 7 after I had only had the Arc a short while.
PPS. A lot of the "Not Compatible" messages have to do with GPS, Bluetooth. Also, have you tried any of the cleaner apps. You may have lots of stuff running in the background that can be eliminated.

LJ.
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamuel View Post
It is tediously slow on the internet, sluggish & choppy. It takes forever for the keyboard to appear in order to type, the Swype app keeps skipping letters. It reboots randomly.
Sorry to hear you are having a bad experience with it. It really sounds like you've got a memory leak or similar - over the months/years it has probably gotten junked up with bits and pieces. Try what the post above has suggested and/or a full reset and see how it goes. I have absolutely no complaints about my Arc - love it!
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Fortunately you both learned a valuable lesson about spending a little extra money to get the real deal. Unless you can find something for less than $100, there's no excuse for not getting the Nexus.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
That's the thing: For the price point that it is at NOW, it's hard to go wrong with the Arc. I got a 64GB original Arc for $99. Hubby got a refurb'd Nexus 7 around the same time for $149... I have no complaints about my Arc and he is happy with his Nexus.

I'm still getting used to the fact that you can get an actual DECENT tablet for under $200 these days (though it may be a previous year's model).
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamuel View Post
No one can even be bothered to write about the Arc in the forum anymore because no one cares. I'd never buy one again in any way, shape or form.
I had an even worse experience with the original Nexus 7 (Asus). It mostly ran perfectly fine, and, for the time, it had excellent performance. But every month or two it would decide that it no longer wanted to work anymore and the only way to bring it back from the brink was to wipe the sucker and re-image it with a factory image.

Well, this worked for the rest of the devices pitiful life until 2 months ago when the Nexus 7 decided that it just wasn't going to turn on ever again. I tried EVERYTHING recommended on the internet and by Google. Even things that I knew would not work. But heck, you never know, right?

Anyway, after just a little over a year of daily usage, it crapped out. I'm sure Asus does better now... but I'm not sure I would purchase another Asus tablet (me, personally). I switched to Amazon, and I don't regret it thus far.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Anyway, after just a little over a year of daily usage, it crapped out. I'm sure Asus does better now... but I'm not sure I would purchase another Asus tablet (me, personally). I switched to Amazon, and I don't regret it thus far.
No sure what ASUS has to do with the software running on it, since it's a vanilla Android directly sent by Google to your device. I've been using the Nexus 7 for 2 years and I haven't had any issue with it.
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athropos View Post
No sure what ASUS has to do with the software running on it, since it's a vanilla Android directly sent by Google to your device. I've been using the Nexus 7 for 2 years and I haven't had any issue with it.
The hardware dying didn't have anything to do with the software running on it.

I never made any claim that all original Nexus 7's would/did/or should suffer a similar fate to the one that I owned. It's all anecdotal, both your good experience and my bad experience.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:37 AM   #9
mesamuel
mesamuel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Arc 32 GB
Hi all. I tried a cleaning program as suggested to "dejunk" the Arc, which seems to have worked a little bit. It still gets stuck a lot - if I press the Home button too quickly after waking it up, it gets confused and will eventually restart. It also doesn't seem to be charging efficiently any more. It will either take hours or simply not charge at all. And yes, I was thinking about a factory reset, too, but I need to ensure it's all backed up. I don't use the Google back up because I don't really know how it works and how private it is. What I'd really like to know is how to back up my Candy Crush progress - I can't link it to a Facebook account because I don't have one and have no intention of getting one just to play a game. If I can do a factory reset, I hope a fresh start will make for a more efficient tablet.
If I do trade off for a Nexus, I will definitely miss the size and feel of the Kobo. It's always been comfortable to hold and I really like the quilted back.

Last edited by mesamuel; 09-12-2014 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Add to comment
mesamuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo arc original