Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
tylermenz
tylermenz began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Sony PSR-900
Adventrures and Problems with ~.AZW4

So I recently downloaded a few textbooks from amazon only to find that they are in the new .azw4 format.

I was able to strip the DRM from the books by [Detailed DRM removal instructions removed by moderator].

Now this is where I start to have problems. If I open the files with Amazon's PC reader, the .mobi files work fine. If I import them to Calibre, and try to open them, all I get is the first two pages, or it doesn't even open.

If i try to convert the .mobi file to an epub, it does not work. Looking at the log, I get a Python Error and then a little while later a memory error.

Code:
Extracting text...
Python function terminated unexpectedly
   (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site.py", line 132, in main
  File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 181, in main
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 31, in gui_convert_override
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 937, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 204, in __call__
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\input.py", line 27, in convert
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader.py", line 312, in extract_content
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader.py", line 877, in extract_text
MemoryError
I was reading another thread that suggested changing the settings on conversion to not split page breaks, and to increase the "Split files larger than:" to a large number (i chose 400000), unfortunately neither of these two solutions worked.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what might be happening.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-02-2011 at 01:54 PM.
tylermenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
azw4 is not a mobi file. its is a PDF embedded inside a MOBI wrapper. The next release of calibre will allow you to convert azw4 files, but since they are pdfs the conversion will suffesr from all the problems of pdf.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Moderator Notice
tylermenz,

Please do not post detailed instructions for DRM removal. Our policy is that we permit the discussion of DRM removal in the abstract, but not the provision of detailed instructions for DRM removal nor direct linking to sites where such instructions or tools are hosted.

Thank you.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
azw4 is not a mobi file. its is a PDF embedded inside a MOBI wrapper. The next release of calibre will allow you to convert azw4 files, but since they are pdfs the conversion will suffesr from all the problems of pdf.
It's out already! calibre 0.8.17 can now import drm-free Print Replica files (e.g. sample files).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And if you consult Apprentice Alf's blog, I think you'll find that there's now a calibre-plug for azw4 files.
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Since I'm quite interested in buying textbooks from Amazon, does anyone know if I can extract the PDF from the AZW4 file (after proper DRM-stripping, of course)?
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
Since I'm quite interested in buying textbooks from Amazon, does anyone know if I can extract the PDF from the AZW4 file (after proper DRM-stripping, of course)?
See Apprentice Alf for the DRM stripping, and see the MobiUnpack python script for extracting the PDF.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
IceXBerg
IceXBerg began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
See Apprentice Alf for the DRM stripping, and see the MobiUnpack python script for extracting the PDF.
Thank you so much. I tried numerous conversion programs with no success and searched for hours before running into this thread. This worked like a charm and now I can read my azw4 textbook on my iPad.
IceXBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
baylorlinz
baylorlinz began at the beginning.

Device: nook tablet
next step?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I have done the DRM stripping through calibre. Are there further instructions on how to use the MobiUnpack python script to convert the AZW4 files with the Calibre program? or are these files not useful with the Calibre method? -- meaning -- will I have to go through the Python process of stripping DRM to properly view these textbook files?

*note: I have the Calibre version 0.8.37 and it is not properly viewing/converting my AZW4 file. I can open it for viewing but it looks a total MESS!

Help is greatly appreciated! (especially since Kindle and Nook don't allow textbook viewing on their devices... atrocious!)
baylorlinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylorlinz View Post
I have done the DRM stripping through calibre. Are there further instructions on how to use the MobiUnpack python script to convert the AZW4 files with the Calibre program? or are these files not useful with the Calibre method? -- meaning -- will I have to go through the Python process of stripping DRM to properly view these textbook files?

*note: I have the Calibre version 0.8.37 and it is not properly viewing/converting my AZW4 file. I can open it for viewing but it looks a total MESS!

Help is greatly appreciated! (especially since Kindle and Nook don't allow textbook viewing on their devices... atrocious!)
Calibre doesn't seem to extract the azw's PDF file successfully. I'm not sure why. The MobiUnpack script will do so.

The Mobiunpack script is a stand-alone python script. You'll need to install python to run it if you're on Windows.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
deleted

Last edited by theducks; 01-29-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Removed incorect reply
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

MobiUnpack is a perfectly legal program that can be discussed here at Mobileread without any problems at all.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
valqi
valqi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
I couldn't unpack the azw4 file

Hi,there.I am brand new here and I am looking forward help for how to unpack the azw4 file(already DRM removed).I did as the instructions go,however,when I double clicked on Mobi_unpack.pyw, nothing happened.I've no idea of it.Is there anyone who could help me?either give me some instructions or convert the file for me.I would really appreciate it.
valqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Are you on Windows? Did you properly and fully install ActiveState ActivePython 2.7.x as instructed?

If you open a terminal window (run cmd.exe) and type

python

and hit return, what does it say? More help is available via the "New Mobi Decoder" thread in the "mobi" forum here since this really has nothing to do with Calibre specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valqi View Post
Hi,there.I am brand new here and I am looking forward help for how to unpack the azw4 file(already DRM removed).I did as the instructions go,however,when I double clicked on Mobi_unpack.pyw, nothing happened.I've no idea of it.Is there anyone who could help me?either give me some instructions or convert the file for me.I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-01-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: fix typos
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
yahsas
yahsas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This works great. Thanks so much for allowing me the use of the book that I purchased. I have just one question. What do I do with all of the .data files? Is it safe to delete these?

Thanks Again,
yahsas is offline   Reply With Quote