Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How old is your main e-ink based ebook reader?
6 years old 0 0%
5 years old 2 0.86%
4 years old 13 5.60%
3 years old 28 12.07%
2 years old 37 15.95%
1 year old 61 26.29%
Less than a year old 91 39.22%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
How old is your e-ink based ebook reader?

How old is your e-ink based ebook reader?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine of course is only 1 year old. The death of my PRS-500 is still a source of pain.
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
My Sony 505 is now 4 years old and still going strong. It looks and acts today just like it did on the day I received it. I passed it down to my wife when I bought the Sony 950 (now 1 year old), but she uses it like I did; that is, she reads on it for 2-4 hours every day. Neither Sony has had a problem, so -- at least as for me -- Sony has been the perfect device.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
AprilHare
Wizard

Anyone who still owns and uses a libre would of course be welcome to comment
Old 10-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I voted four years but it's more like a little less than 3.5 years. I believe I bought my 505 in June of 2008. It is still a wonderful device.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Jean
Zealot
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx / Kindle 1 / ebookwise 1150 / Kindle Fire / Kindle Paperwhite
I voted 4 years. I got my K1 in January 2008 and am still using it everyday.

Before that I was using a couple non e-ink readers.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Less than a year old.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
My 505 is 5 yrs. old and still going strong.
My PRS 700 is 4 yrs old and probably my favorite eReader.
My Nook classic is 3 yrs old and runs a close second to my 700.

I use all three and can't see giving any of them up.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I wonder.... if I call Sony and tell them the extra 500 we have has a problem. How much would it cost to get a refurbished 650 if they would even do that?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I wonder.... if I call Sony and tell them the extra 500 we have has a problem. How much would it cost to get a refurbished 650 if they would even do that?
Has it got a problem?
Did you get the epub firmware for it?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Has it got a problem?
Did you get the epub firmware for it?
It does have problems. It's old, the screen contrast is poor, it's slow. It doesn't have an IR touch screen. It's heavy.

It does support ePub.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I answered "Less than a year" as my K3 was a Christmas gift, but my original one was replaced with a refub (the keys were rubbing off) so that might not actually be the case; it depends on when the K3 was released.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
It does have problems. It's old, the screen contrast is poor, it's slow. It doesn't have an IR touch screen. It's heavy.
As designed..

Quote:
It does support ePub.
Other than wanting a new one, not a leg to stand on.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
As designed..

Other than wanting a new one, not a leg to stand on.
Well......
Old 10-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I had my Kobo original for a around 11 months before the screen went wonky and they replaced it with a refurbished one. I then sold that one after a about a month and bought my Kobo Touch which I had for 16 days before the USB port stopped working, a new Kobo Touch is on it's way back from Kobo Customer Service.

So while my KT is getting replaced I'm using a loaned Kobo WiFi.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote