Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
flubu
master of my own domain
flubu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Connect store and non-US residents

I've finally decided I was tired of waiting and bought a reader. It should be in my grubby mitts by the end of july when a friend comes back from his US-bound vacation.

I've been browsing on the Connect website and it mentions in multiple places that you need to be a US resident to buy books which, you know, sucks. I blatantly ignored the requirement and signed up, bypassing the credit card billing information - which I can't provide (not having a US credit card).

Now my question is this: even if I can't provide valid billing information, will I still be able to use the 150$ of free credit I got through the reader deal and download ebooks? What do I do after that if I want to get more ebooks? Buy lit and break the DRM? What are other non-us residents doing about this?
flubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are people on the forum, such as "Leaping Gnome", who very kindly offer to buy Connect gift certificates for non-US forum members. These can be used by anybody.

Personally the Connect Store is irrevelent to me. Baen's DRM-free SF and Fantasy, together with out-of-copyright PG stuff provides me with several lifetimes worth of reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
flubu
master of my own domain
flubu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are people on the forum, such as "Leaping Gnome", who very kindly offer to buy Connect gift certificates for non-US forum members. These can be used by anybody.

Personally the Connect Store is irrevelent to me. Baen's DRM-free SF and Fantasy, together with out-of-copyright PG stuff provides me with several lifetimes worth of reading.
Good to know. I'm already a Baen Bar member, so that'll be greatly used indeed. I'm just thinking of stuff that's coming out on the market now. Anyway, I'm hearing rumours about a UK launch for the reader, so that will hopefully mean that the connect US restrictions will go bye bye at some point.
flubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by flubu View Post
Good to know. I'm already a Baen Bar member, so that'll be greatly used indeed. I'm just thinking of stuff that's coming out on the market now. Anyway, I'm hearing rumours about a UK launch for the reader, so that will hopefully mean that the connect US restrictions will go bye bye at some point.
Having just got a Reader myself (London) earlier this week, I'm really happy with it, but I would love it if the US restrictions get lifted too. I used my $50 free credit in the first day
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flubu View Post
Now my question is this: even if I can't provide valid billing information, will I still be able to use the 150$ of free credit I got through the reader deal and download ebooks?
Yup, the credit is independent of your credit card info -- you don't even have to put in to use the credit.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert