Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Any workaround to register Nook outside US?

I think this topic should be separated from the other similar one.

I'm in Bangkok, Thailand. I can place my order for Nook by using "alwaysvpn" service to trick B&N that my IP is from US, and use Vpostasia to ship from their dummy US address to me.

So far I'm very happy with Nook. The only function which I cannot fully utilize is the registration and buying ebooks from B&N via my Nook.

I believe that there should be some workaround on this. I'm not computer networking expert; but I strongly believe that the above problem could be solved without a very complex solution.

My idea is something like this, I have not tried yet:

Objective: at least use my home wifi to register my Nook and subsequent ebook purchase from B&N

My current equipment: a notebook with buitin wifi connected to my home wifi adsl/router (SMC).

Here is my humble plan:

1. buy another cheap USB wifi and plug it to my notebook
2. set up the new wifi by making my notebook as a wifi router (or set as Infrastructure mode)
3. connect my Nook, via wifi, to my notebook wifi direct (instead of from the central wifi router)
4. on my notebook, I activate alwaysvpn
5. my Nook should now be able to be registered and I can start buying ebooks.

I'm not sure my approach is technically feasible or not. I need those in the forum to help. If it is possible, I may need some details about the setup steps. My PC is running Winxp SP3.

The other question is: supposed the above solution does allow me to register my Nook successfully. Do I still need to do the same setup above to make my ebooks order? or I can simply connect my Nook to the central wifi router at home (or outside wifi hotspot) as usual, and buy books right away.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
ssophon
Enthusiast
ssophon began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
If B&N check only for the IP then the solution you mentioned should work for registration. However, you might also need to do the same thing, by tricking the IP, when you buy an ebook as well.

Since B&N web site stated very clear that Nook is not for sales outside the US. So there will be some checking machanism during buying an ebook as well. Or another way is order an ebook over the web instead but to download to your nook you might have to follow the same way.

For the setup steps, let wait for some expert.
ssophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
ssophon
Enthusiast
ssophon began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Also check for this message for some idea.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67993
ssophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
haste
haste began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
I think your solution should work, but there's one kick krub
If you're NOT using Windows 7, you will not be able to 'share' (using Window's Internet Connection Sharing - ICS) your VPN to the usb dongle

I've been using usb wifi on accesspoint mode, sharing internet from my laptop to my PS3 many times. VPN will make the ICS's routes incorrect.

Have never tried with hotspotshield though...
haste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:52 AM   #5
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks haste.

I've tried on my Winxp3 with alwaysvpn connecting on my notebook which has builtin wireless communicating with my home wireless adsl router; and a usb wireless dongle (established as an access point) sharing internet with the main builtin wireless. It won't work as you said, Nook,though can connect with my usb wireless dongle, cannot access the internet at all.

If with the same setup; but don't connect the alwaysvpn, then Nook can access B&N bookstore and daily (through my usb wireless dongle); but cannot register or download book samples, as usual.

I've not tried this with Win7 yet; or Winxp3 with hotspotshield.

So my temporary solution is buying B&N ebooks from by notebook with alwaysvpn connected; then download ebooks to my notebook and sideloading them to my Nook.

My Nook firmware is 1.1.1

Last edited by bthoven; 01-14-2010 at 04:00 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Hm, I think once you bought a book via the notebook, you should be able to download it on the Nook. At least it works with my iPhone and the B&N software. I bought a book via my pc and vpn. When I open the app on my iphone and synch with my library, the books get downloaded via wifi.

But I'm not sure, if that will work with the Nook the same way. But I don't see any reason, why it should not.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Here is a work around I found posted on the web after a little Googling.

Quote:
Downloading eBooks:

1) sign up with a vpn provider(eg. hotspotshield). This is because the system checks for your ip location and only US is accepted.
2) go to the B&N website through your vpn connection that works like a tunnel and converts your IP address into a US one.
3) choose the eBooks of your choice and pay for them with your own creditcard while using the same shipping and billing info you used for the purchase of the Nook.

This has been tested and it works!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
ttnews
ttnews began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi there,

The easiest way to register Nook outside the US is via wi-fi + busybox (to set system time & hardware time):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70814

It works!!!

--ttnews
ttnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Here is a work around I found posted on the web after a little Googling.
I found you need to add step 4.

4) Download the book via your PC
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Ya unless your really wanting to use your nook to browse. All this effort for something like that seems like a waste when you should be able to just purchase e-books from B&N and load them to your nook.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote