Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
croyd
croyd began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking at the Vox. Please help.

Hi all,

I just started looking into an eReader and I was looking at the Kobo Vox tablet. I have a few questions for Kobo Vox owners and other folks who have returned it.

1) Why choose a tablet reader over a dedicated ereader? What are the main advantages and disadvantages?

2) For Kobo Vox owners, what are the best strengths in your opinion on the Vox?

3) What are its' weakest points and why? Could you please prioritize them as the weakest one being the first in the list.

4) For Kobo Vox folks that returned them, why did you return the product and how long did you spend with it before you returned it?

5) For people that chose another ereader, what was the the reason?

Thanks,
Croyd
croyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
samysdad
Enthusiast
samysdad began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
my reasons

i've included a few thoughts below

Quote:
Originally Posted by croyd View Post
Hi all,

I just started looking into an eReader and I was looking at the Kobo Vox tablet. I have a few questions for Kobo Vox owners and other folks who have returned it.

1) Why choose a tablet reader over a dedicated ereader? What are the main advantages and disadvantages?

BOTTOM LINE: I wanted a web access and android app access

ADVANTAGES: Biggest advantages are decent colour screen with wifi access to 'some android apps' (others require "rooting" the device). Backlit with a dimmer is much better than having to buy a dedicated like for eInk display.

DISADVANTAGE: heavier, no direct root access to Android OS, and my personal irritation is the stupid startup sound that can't be disabled

See 1 above

3) What are its' weakest points and why? Could you please prioritize them as the weakest one being the first in the list.

Vs. a standard ereader I'd say weight and battery life

4) For Kobo Vox folks that returned them, why did you return the product and how long did you spend with it before you returned it?

Thanks,
Croyd
samysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
FLHRDR
FLHRDR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I pretty much agree with the advantages and disadvantages above.

I'd go on to say that the inability to modify the device without rooting it is a huge turnoff. While I won't be returning mine, I have my eye on that new Asus MeMo. Once I snag that puppy, the kiddo will be inheriting the Vox.
FLHRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I prefer a dedicated eInk based ereader, but picked upp a Vox to read PDFs and read on the bus at night. That said, the big disadvantage is battery life.

Of course modding is fun too. Contrary to the above comment, a lot of customization can be done without rooting. Rooting does become necessary when you want to removw components or make other low level modifications though.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
croyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I prefer a dedicated eInk based ereader, but picked upp a Vox to read PDFs and read on the bus at night. That said, the big disadvantage is battery life.

Of course modding is fun too. Contrary to the above comment, a lot of customization can be done without rooting. Rooting does become necessary when you want to removw components or make other low level modifications though.
I thought the Vox is not able to read PDFs? Or are you using an Android App like Good Reader?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
croyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHRDR View Post
I pretty much agree with the advantages and disadvantages above.

I'd go on to say that the inability to modify the device without rooting it is a huge turnoff. While I won't be returning mine, I have my eye on that new Asus MeMo. Once I snag that puppy, the kiddo will be inheriting the Vox.
Is the advantage of rooting your device just so you can get access to the full Android store? and possibly customize the UI a bit more? Does rooting void your warranty?

Thanks,
Croyd
Old 03-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
BWinmill
Nameless Being

There are several apps that can read PDF files. I prefer Adobe Reader. Accessing the Google Market does require root access, but a lot of apps can be downloaded from the developer's website as well. That includes Adobe Reader, Flash, and Opera. It is also possible to skip the rooting process if you're comfortable with using ADB. (It is a command line program that you use to access the Vox from a PC, so many people find it difficult to use.)
Old 03-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I thought the Vox is not able to read PDFs? Or are you using an Android App like Good Reader?
For PDF's look at EZ-PDF or RepliGo or for a basic reader the Adobe one works pretty well. Mantano and BlueFire also handle PDF's well and are also ePub readers that support Adobe DRM (both regular Adept and B&N style).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For PDF's look at EZ-PDF or RepliGo or for a basic reader the Adobe one works pretty well. Mantano and BlueFire also handle PDF's well and are also ePub readers that support Adobe DRM (both regular Adept and B&N style).
Note that some PDF apps require WiFi to be on so you can be bombarded with ads.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Note that some PDF apps require WiFi to be on so you can be bombarded with ads.
Yeah, I find the world of Android software to be a wee bit disturbing. It is definitely a huge shift from Windows where there is a tonne of free software that doesn't try to monetize users (through advertising, data mining, or other means). It is a gargantuan step from traditional Linux systems where most of the software is free in every sense of the word.

I'm not sure that I like this new world of computers, a world where I have to monitor my internet connection just to figure out what the heck vendors are up to.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
See my responses ===> **

Quote:
Hi all,

**Advantages: Lots of different options in one device (reading books, reading mags, watching movies, listening to music and surfing the web, email); Reading Life and Pulse for Kobo books; Can read in low light;
**Disadvantages: Vox is heavier and more bulky than WiFi; Vox battery is drained more quickly; Vox is backlit - which makes reading hard on the eyes or hard to read outside; Vox cannot be sideloaded with books (like library books), so different apps must be used for reading outside of the Kobo app; Kobo customer support is not great. But, most of us manage without instant help from them, because we usually get it HERE!

**Versatility. I think it will be great for travel. Only one device to bring. Should last for my day of flying. Lots of entertainment options to keep me busy on the plane, plus WiFi access at the hotels.
**Size. The 7" tablets are the perfect size for putting in your purse, large pocket, or small briefcase. iPads are too big.
**Android. You can download free apps to suit your needs. You can root the device to suit your needs. You can get native email. You can watch movies you download.
**External storage. Store your large files (like your movies) on the external SD card.

**Glitchy. iPads are solid devices. Android devices have their issues. Kobo updates seem to not always be 100% successful. There are still a few bugs for them to work out, but nothing that's stopped me or made me speak badly of the product.
**Battery. It lasts about 7-8 hours, but only with WiFi off. When WiFi is on, maybe 4-5, depending on what you are doing. Sleep still seems to drain the battery.
**Touch screen. It's not the best. It's okay, but in comparison the iPad, you can see a difference.

**My brother-in-law returned his. I think it was too hard for him to move past the glitches. He's not PC savvy, so no patience to deal with problems and issues with kobo updates.

**I have friends that have chosen the Nook (because books are cheaper and have a lending feature) and the Kindle (because there are more books to choose from on Amazon and Kindle is more popular).

**I also have the Kobo WiFi (well, two of them!) and love them for reading. I love that I can borrow library books and sideload them through ADE on my PC.
Thanks,
Croyd
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote