Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #46
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
is it possible the K3 screen fades as it ages?
Mine still looks pretty good to me.
(sour grapes i'm sure)
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #47
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I'm assuming no hacks work right? Are the screensavers still as creepy as ever?
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #48
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Uh oh.
LoL!!... I concur! I may have to grab one to hold me until November!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #49
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeayers View Post
is it possible the K3 screen fades as it ages?
Mine still looks pretty good to me.
(sour grapes i'm sure)
I haven't noticed any change in mine, so I'd say probably not.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #50
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Sorry, not to be rude or offensive, so apologies if I do. But playing games on a eink device?

Some of them work pretty well. No arcade games of course, but things like Chess, Scrabble, and a bunch of word games work just fine.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #51
jswinden
Nameless Being

Okay I got the calibre plugin "thing" working. I forgot to check a checkbox the first time. So the K4 can easily run one extra, sideloaded font and you can lessen the margins. This worked exactly as it does for the K3.

I'll have to Google where I got the info, but it was here on MR. I think it was in the Kindle Developers forum. It is pretty easy and quick. It takes longer to find your fonts than to use this method.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #52
jswinden
Nameless Being

The calibre plugin that allows you to change margins beyond the system limits and allows you to use a sideloaded font is discussed here: link.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #53
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Okay I got the calibre plugin "thing" working. I forgot to check a checkbox the first time. So the K4 can easily run one extra, sideloaded font and you can lessen the margins. This worked exactly as it does for the K3.

I'll have to Google where I got the info, but it was here on MR. I think it was in the Kindle Developers forum. It is pretty easy and quick. It takes longer to find your fonts than to use this method.
Great, I can sideload my favorite eink font also! It doesn't seem so bad in Kindle Land after all.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #54
timelysarcasm
Warrior Princess
timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 4
I got mine about 2 hours ago. I can't really say the screen is less reflective than my K3, because I sold it last night, but it certainly seems that way subjectively.

On a less important note, I miss the old author screensavers. So far I'm not a fan of the new ones. I may have to look into a hack to change them.

Otherwise, I'm happy, and hoping manufacturers get moving on cases for this thing.
timelysarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #55
loltun
Jedi Book Worm
loltun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, RCA REB-1100, Augen The Book
There are a lot of shadows in your pictures so it makes it hard to tell any real difference. Could you please take some pictures with more even lighting? Maybe in the full sunlight?
loltun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #56
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelysarcasm View Post
I got mine about 2 hours ago. I can't really say the screen is less reflective than my K3, because I sold it last night, but it certainly seems that way subjectively.

On a less important note, I miss the old author screensavers. So far I'm not a fan of the new ones. I may have to look into a hack to change them.

Otherwise, I'm happy, and hoping manufacturers get moving on cases for this thing.
Screensaver hack won't work on K3 SO models so I doubt it will with the K4 SO models. Amazon wanted to ensure you read their ads since they discounted the reader.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #57
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Sorry, not to be rude or offensive, so apologies if I do. But playing games on a eink device?

Yeah; it's doable. My fav is Hidden Expedition.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #58
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've attached a photo of the K4 after using the font/margin plugin via calibre. On after thought I should make a non-modified photo too, so I will and then add it to this post. BTW, that is not a scratch near the bottom part of the bezel I've got two cats and that is a cat hair!

I'm using PMN Caecilia 85 Heavy with margins set to 16. (Default margins is 40.)

EDIT: I added the photo showing the system default font/margin settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-05.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	77143   Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-06.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	77144  

Last edited by jswinden; 09-29-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #59
timelysarcasm
Warrior Princess
timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Screensaver hack won't work on K3 SO models so I doubt it will with the K4 SO models. Amazon wanted to ensure you read their ads since they discounted the reader.
I've never owned a KSO - both of mine have been ad-free, hence me missing the author screensavers. Hopefully the hacks will be updated shortly.
timelysarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #60
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Excellent. Thank you.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote