Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
saphirre12
saphirre12 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Convert txt to epub for PRS-600

First , I have a Sony Reader Touch Edition ( PRS-600 ) . I have this Vietnamese book in TXT file . I want to convert it to EPUB file . However, I am unable to read Vietnamese text on the PRS-600 .

I am using Calibre to convert the file and I notice there is an " Extra CSS " box before the conversion but I don't know how to use it . Can someone give me step to step so I can read the Vietnamese book on my PRS-600 ?
saphirre12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
If you're converting from text you need to specifcy the encoding. I'm not sure what the encoding is for Vietnamese, so I suggest opening up the file in a text editor (make sure you can read it) and re-saving it. When you re-save it be sure to specify UTF-8 as the encoding.

At this point it's safe to convert in Calibre to epub. You don't need to worry about the css options. Once you've converted it try viewing it both in Calibre's built in viewer and in Adobe Digital Editions. If it looks ok in both of those places it will probably be fine on the prs-600.

That said, I'm not 100% certain if Sony is putting the right fonts on their readers to display all the Vietnamese characters. You may need to embed a font - Sigil can help you out with that.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Shily
Shily began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Here's what I did. I only tested one file, but it turned out really well. Hope this helps.

1. I opened the Vietnamese file I wanted to read, which was in DOC format. I used "Save As" and chose the type to be Web Page, Filtered (aka HTML format).

2. I followed the instruction in this post, using the HTML file that I had just saved. Apparently the Calibre in the post was of an older version, but it's very easy to figure out what goes where.

3. Extra info: The font I used was Times New Roman, very easy to read on the reader. You can find all four of them in Control Panel\Fonts, just copy and paste but do not rename them. Since Times New Roman has an extra bold italic type, I added a new section for it in the CSS, just in case. Below is my CSS for your reference.

Quote:
@font-face {
font-family: "Times New Roman";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/times.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-family: "Times New Roman";
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/timesbd.ttf);