Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 03:17 AM   #1
wellchelle
wellchelle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 silver
my reader showed up on the left pane of Reader Library labeled "Error"

I have a Sony PRS-650. The reader icon showed up on the left pane of Sony Reader Library labeled as "Error" and I can't eject my device. I also can't close Sony Reader Library. Can anyone help?

I have looked all over and could not find a thread about this problem.

Thanks alot.
wellchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Does it show up as a drive letter? Can you use the reader separately? If you have the books backed up, try formatting internal memory (from the reader menus) or a hard reset.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Have you tried rebooting. Sounds like an issue with your computer or USB.

Your 650 is working, right?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
wellchelle

Thanks for the help.

The 650 was working. The sony library wouldn't detect the device, just the little black device icon that used to say "reader" now says "error" so I tryed rebooting the computer. (I don't know if that counts as disconnecting with out ejecting the device??) but I did it anyways. Started up Sony library again, it still did the same thing and I couldn't even close the program. I had to Ctrl+Alt+Del and end it in the windows task manager. I am using Windows 7 by the way.

So I uninstalled sony library (this is the first time I will try to reinstall it)
(first, I saved all my books to a different file and to Adobe Digital Editions just to make sure I don't loose the books.)

Then I have uninstalled Sony Library (using Revo Uninstaller) and reformated my 650 (using settings -> initialization -> format memory -> internal memory) So now I will try reloading the sony library.

Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
How did it go?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I had this same "error" message back in December. I also did a reboot after it happened which then resulted in Reader Library freezing too. I did the same steps to fix it: reinstall Reader Library and reformat ereader. It worked for me. I have since learned that perhaps I didn't need to take such drastic measures. Next time I would take the recommendations in this thread first to delete the kinoma files before doing a complete reinstall and reformat. I have seen it recommended for crash and freezing issues with Reader Library.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=113727
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
wellchelle

Smile Working out just Fine

Everything is fine for now.
I did use a 6 inch usb extention to plug the reader into my computer just before this happened. I won't use that again.
I loaded up my books from my backup file and they transfered from the library to my 650 with no problems.
Do you think just deleting the kinoma files would have helped the problem with out having to to uninstall and reinstall everything?
PS
I just made myself a cover for my 650. I used some velcro to attach it to the back of a journal that I cut the pages out of. I added some felt on the inside flap and some ribbon to tie it shut and it is working great. cost about $5.00
I would like a fancy leather cover but I'm going to wait until someone other than Sony makes one (they are plain and expensive.)

Thanks everyone for all the help.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad you fixed your problem. That's great news! I think just deleting the kinoma files would have helped. If the problem ever occurs again to me, then I'll try that route first. It's been a hassle to have to recreate my library and collections and retransfer everything back to my ereader.

That's a creative cover you made. I wish I had such talent! You might want to search some of the threads on covers or start a new one to see if anyone has any recommendations on leather covers. Oberon makes some nice ones. Lots of interesting design pattern options. Some people have called and ordered their 600 cover to use with the 650. And some have converted their journal into a cover using Velcro. They aren't cheap though, probably cost about $70.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

When I posted my last message I was on a browser that doesn't display images so I couldn't see your avatar picture, wellchelle. Now that I am on a different computer it appears that you have already discovered Oberon!