Notices

Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
mitja_i
Enthusiast
mitja_i began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Cybook Ocean description and specs

In my opinion the CPU is a bit on the slow side...
Does anybody know which kind of e-ink is this?

Last edited by mitja_i; 03-20-2014 at 09:54 AM. Reason: my opinion
mitja_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitja_i View Post

In my opinion the CPU is a bit on the slow side...
Does anybody know which kind of e-ink is this?
The fact that it uses the HSIS display controller makes in likely the Carta display although the resolution is not particularly outstanding. I suspect the resolution and battery life tradeoff determines the CPU speed. I would expect performance to be quite good and the 8" display is a plus. I built a wiki page for this product. Thanks.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Further research says it is likely Pearl. Sorry, I jumped the gun. See http://www.e-ink-info.com/bookeens-h...sis-technology. Of course this may be a bit dated, but would also account for the resolution.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The fact that it uses the HSIS display controller makes in likely the Carta display although the resolution is not particularly outstanding. I suspect the resolution and battery life tradeoff determines the CPU speed. I would expect performance to be quite good and the 8" display is a plus. I built a wiki page for this product. Thanks.

Dale
It is neither Carta nor Pearl nor was this screen made by E-ink.

This is an example of the so-called knockoff epaper screen from Ganzhou OED Technologies:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...delayed-again/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
In term of contrast, it's pretty close to pearl it seam. The screen is actually rather nice.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
GGMerlin
GGMerlin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
I had an invitation for the book fair and I was keen on seeing the product and buying one on the spot. Then I saw price, timing and spec on their blog and went cold.

It seems to be a very late delivery and a so so spec at a stuck in the middle price point. I'd rather buy something at say 229, with the latest e-ink technology and a bit more oommph under the bonnet than something that will be outdated as soon as it is released.

I wish Amazon were a bit more philantropic and would produce a DX on steroid. I'll have to wait, I guess.
GGMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:58 AM   #7
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Compared to Bookeen's first Cybook the Ocean is almost tiny.

http://blog.bookeen.com/cybook-ocean-thin-like/
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
Heba
Connoisseur
Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle DX, Hanvon C18 and Sony Dpt-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It is neither Carta nor Pearl nor was this screen made by E-ink.

This is an example of the so-called knockoff epaper screen from Ganzhou OED Technologies:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...delayed-again/
Is knockoff epaper friendly to the eye like e-ink?

Thanks.
Heba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes

It's the same kind of technology.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 04-07-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:20 AM   #10
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
With less pixel per inch.. (This 8" screen have nearly the same resolution as the eInk 6" "HD" screen, 1024x767 vs 1024x758)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #11
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Finally some news: The Ocean clears the FCC
Old 05-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #12
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Does that actually mean it's going to be sold? You still can't get the Odyssey in the US.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, it simply means that it COULD be sold. Whether or not it actually IS sold is a business decision. This simply clears a legal hurdle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard

Still no news in france either

They said mi-may mid-june as release date.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:34 AM   #15
ST-One
Addict

Now that I've heard about the new PocketBook "InkPad", I think I'll wait for that device; it seems to be the better choice. And I even like the design better.

If only Bookeen had been faster they'd have gotten my money.