Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I just finished the last Vorkosigan story. Now what?

I just this moment finished the last of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan books. ("Cryoburn" in internal chronology order...I finished "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance" last week.)

Wow. Good series. Military SF adventure and space opera and intrigue, then once she hooks you, she takes you to character drama, romance, farce, and more.

So now what? What should I read next?

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
David Drake's Lt Leary series?

C. J. Cherryh's Merchanter series?

Wait... what have you read already?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I just this moment finished the last of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan books. ("Cryoburn" in internal chronology order...I finished "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance" last week.)

Wow. Good series. Military SF adventure and space opera and intrigue, then once she hooks you, she takes you to character drama, romance, farce, and more.

Something very different. Similar stuff will probably leave you with a feeling of "it is nice, but ...". E.g. how about "Among Others" by Jo Walton?
cu Andreas
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Have you tried the Liaden series?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
David Drake's Lt Leary series?

C. J. Cherryh's Merchanter series?

Wait... what have you read already?

Graham
The suggestions so far look like they are right on track.
Keeping to SF, in no particular order, some stuff I've liked would include:

Nathan Lowell's Trader's Tales. I found that whole series to be a remarkably enjoyable change of pace.

David Weber's "On Basilisk Station" and a couple other Honor Harrington books, but got bored with all the political and strategic minutia.

John Scalzi's "Redshirts", and the first "Old Man's War" book.

Ernest Cline's "Ready Player One."

Robert Asprin's "Time Scout."

Neal Stephenson's "Cryptonomicon", but didn't care for much of his other stuff.

Let's stop there, and see what "same but different" stuff folks come up with it.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 12-16-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Advert
Old 12-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not quite in the same league as the Bujolds, but Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's War series is quite fun.

Graham
Old 12-17-2013, 12:54 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Have you read Ms Bujold's Chalion and Sharing Knife series? Quite different from the Vorkosigan series, but I like them better.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

ApK

Start over?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

ApK
How about some Georgette Heyer? Not SF, but 17th Century England is a pretty strange place in itself.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
How about some Georgette Heyer? Not SF, but 17th Century England is a pretty strange place in itself.
And similar (but different) to Bujold's "A Civil Campaign". You might miss Miles, though.

Graham
Old 12-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The Liaden series, certainly. And I would also suggest the Empire of Man / Prince Roger series from David Weber and John Ringo
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Might you try The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell? They're thrilling.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Lots of good suggestions. Definitely the Liaden series.
I really loved the Lt. Leary series (most are available on The Fifth Imperium - The Rising Tide cd).
Stephen Hunt's Sliding Void series - really novellas
Allan Cole & Chris Bunch's Sten series - Got mine at Fictionwise, but should be available at Amazon, etc.
James S.A. Corey's Expanse series
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
And similar (but different) to Bujold's "A Civil Campaign". You might miss Miles, though.

Graham
A Civil Campaign was the "romance/farce" foray I mentioned earlier. You really have to like those characters if that's not the genre you're otherwise looking for.

Note to others SF readers who are considering trying the Vorkosigan books and want to get a taste of the series: Don't start with "A Civil Campaign!"

What about this Georgette Heyer 17th Century England series brought it to mind here?
Is it steam-punk or something?
Old 12-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
A Civil Campaign was the "romance/farce" foray I mentioned earlier. You really have to like those characters if that's not the genre you're otherwise looking for.

Note to others SF readers who are considering trying the Vorkosigan books and want to get a taste of the series: Don't start with "A Civil Campaign!"

What about this Georgette Heyer 17th Century England series brought it to mind here?
Is it steam-punk or something?
I was chiming in on the Georgette Heyer suggestion because you had read "A Civil Campaign" (the title is an homage to Heyer's "A Civil Contract").

Bujold's touchstone for "A Civil Campaign" was Heyer's Regency romances.

I keep meaning to read them myself. They were (possibly still are) my mother's favourite books.

Graham