Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
New Quick View feature

I've tried activating this feature - adding it to my context menu. But when I click it (or click Q) when I have a book selected, all that happens is that a pop-up window appears with some empty panes in it - "Items" on the left, and then one with three headings, Title, Author, Series, on the right. But all are totally empty. This happens with every book I've selected - everything empty.

This seems very strange to me. Am I doing something wrong? What should this feature be doing? Should there be something in that window, or do I need to do something else?

I'd love any help anyone can offer...
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Opening the window does nothing interesting except to open the window.

To get information, with the window open, click on a category column (tags, series, publisher, authors, etc) on a book in the library view. Quickview will show you on the left-hand side the items in that category applied to the selected book. The first item in that list will be selected, and quickview will show you on the right-hand side all the books in your library with that item applied. Click on an different item to see all the books with that different item. Example usages: quickly seeing what other books:
- have a tag that is applied to the currently selected book,
- are in the same series
- have the same values in a custom column
- are written by one of the same authors
without changing the sort or search in the library view.

Double-click on a book to select that book in the library view. This will also change the items display (the left-hand side) to show the items in the newly-selected book.

Shift- (or Ctrl-) double-click on a book to select that book in the library view and then open the edit metadata dialog on that book.

Last edited by chaley; 06-26-2011 at 08:19 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
Thank you! This helps immensely.

And very cool feature - very useful. I love being able to see all the other books by the same author (or in a series) without having to leave the current library view. But it's the ability to directly edit metadata that is the icing - that's great! Thanks for this!
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Brilliant.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I like this new feature.

I have a couple of questions.
  • On my PC (WinXP) only the top half of the window seems to be used. Is this deliberate?
  • Also, if sorting by Series in the Quick View window, the series_index is sorting alphabetically not numerically.
Is it just me? Screencap attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quickview.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	73417  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
[*]On my PC (WinXP) only the top half of the window seems to be used. Is this deliberate?
No. I never expanded the window that far, so I never noticed that space.

There is a widget left over from a vertical layout test that starts taking space after a time. That widget is now gone.
Quote:
[*]Also, if sorting by Series in the Quick View window, the series_index is sorting alphabetically not numerically.
True, and it may stay that way. The sort function is quite primitive, and I am not sure I can work in multi-criteria sorts. Will look.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for speedy response, 6 mins - not bad!!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I was able to add multi-criteria sort, so series will sort series:alpha,series_index:numeric.

Will be in the next release.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Even better!