Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer
benjaminsolah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch PRS-650
Poorly formatted books

I bought Cell by Stephen King a few months ago from Borders.com.au which is powered by Kobo Books and loaded it into my Sony Reader to find that the margins were really wide leaving a small column of text in the centre. It's basically unreadable.

After filing a support ticket, it got moved to level 2 and I haven't heard back since.
benjaminsolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Heh! I assume they would say how much they liked it the way it was.
Seriously, if you feel adventure in your blood, just use Calibre to re-
iterate the book, or Sigil to change css by the hand. Why spend eons
in conversation? It takes minute or less to handle the stuff.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminsolah View Post
I bought Cell by Stephen King a few months ago from Borders.com.au which is powered by Kobo Books and loaded it into my Sony Reader to find that the margins were really wide leaving a small column of text in the centre. It's basically unreadable.

After filing a support ticket, it got moved to level 2 and I haven't heard back since.
Had the same problem with Don Quixote. It felt like I was reading a poem.

Stripped the DRM, converted to mobi, converted back to epub, and all is well.

A pain, but it works.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
A very common issue really.

i puchased two ebooks recently where I had to run through Sigil (after removing DRM) to fix the border width. They both looked like reading from a shop receipt.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #5
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer

The problem is I can't remove DRM. Do you know how to do that?
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Our policy is that we permit the discussion of DRM removal in the abstract, but not the provision of detailed instructions for DRM removal, or direct linking to sites where such instructions or tools are hosted.

-- WT Sharpe [Moderator]
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:19 AM   #7
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
I've only made myself familiar with the world of e-books, since 2010.
I know e-books have been around for over a decade (and perhaps portable e-readers as well).

I've found some of the e-books I've bought to have large margins on the right and left, making the text look like a fat centered column on my kobo. I might be exaggerating, but there is way too much "white space" and not enough text on my "page."

I would really like to know if this is peculiar to new e-readers, or if this has been the case for years on earlier portable e-readers. I want to know why this wide-margin formatting is the way it is. Is it because these e-books were originally formatted for machines that were much wider (for instance, a 13" netbook)? Or is the kobo doing something to the margins of these files that other e-readers are not?

Are the publishers even aware that there is a problem? Or do they see extra wide margins as simply an odd but acceptable authoring choice? And who in their right minds believes that extra wide margins is good for small electronic screens?

I bought into this world of e-books to read, and I prefer more text than blank space on my small kobo screen. And that is merely one point (of many points) of poor formatting I have frustrations with.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #8
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer

Ok, so I will look into cleaning the DRM but it really isn't a solution. Why can't eBook suppliers make their files formatted properly?

winsomnia, I think it's just cheapness. They don't want to hire people to format their files properly (or offer proper support) so just dump these files onto stores and forget about us.

People can whinge about Amazon as much as they like but at least the Kindle works and the books on there are readable.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
I'm finding that if I download the book using Kobo's software, then it is pretty well formatted (e.g. less margins) but if I download the same book from Kobo's website in ePub and sideload it using ADE, then I get enormous margins (and also no cover page).

I understand that they are different formats that are handled in different ways by the Kobo, but it is still frustrating. Kobo's software seems buggy (twice when I've bought books so far, it has messed up my Kobo to the point where a factory reset is the only option) so I would prefer to sideload - but I prefer the way the Kobo books are formatted instead of the ePub.

I understand I could in theory strip the DRM and use Calibre - but that seems like a lot of steps when I've purchased a finished product.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
I think a lot of it has to do with publishers still not taking eBooks seriously. They take a pre-proofed Word doc from the writer (which is why ePubs have sooo many misspellings), slap it through some cheap-ass tool that converts Word to XML/ePub, and ship it out to the eBook distributers of the world without a single human eye proofing it.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminsolah View Post
The problem is I can't remove DRM. Do you know how to do that?

Google is your friend in this regard.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Apprentice Alf is your friend in this regard.
Fixed that for ya...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I do is strip the DRM, edit the CSS and I am good to go. I remove margins and any spaces between paragraphs. Works very well and makes the ePub quite readable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote