Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #91
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I find having the frontlight on boosts contrast in slightly lower-light situations
Yes, it makes the screen look whiter. Even just 5% gives that effect.
But even with 5% you still need not to feel that the screen is glowing.
For that, you have to hold the screen slightly lowered backwards.
And better not to watch the screen at the moment when you switch the light on. Furthermore, when using this trick it is better to use a font with a higher weight.

However, the screen also looks whiter without the light on when outdoors in the sun, or having good lighting in your room.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #92
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
The Kobo Aura fits the bill perfectly, except for not being a Sony

Well I like it in theory. But I have a kobo glo at the moment, and the software is utter garbage. If it could be hacked to have android or nearly anything else, I would gladly get it, but I don't trust kobo devs. Seriously the amount of glitchy, buggy crap I have to put up with just to read a book is driving me batty.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #93
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_bear View Post
@ parkher

Exactly my thoughts ... I am thinking to get a Sony, my sister has a T1 and she loves it, but the the front-lit screen is a deal breaker for me. If T3 comes with front-lit screen, I think I'll end up getting a T2.
T2 has better developed unofficial software than T1.

If you are thinking about getting a T2, keep in mind that it is now no longer safe to order it blindly even from US.
Firmware 1.0.04 is now reportedly not hackable even in the US models.
T2 currently is officially already "discontinued", but, I guess, it is still possible to find it with "good" firmware 1.00.00, 1.00.01, 1.00.02. 1.00.03.
But it is getting more difficult.

If you get it with the "good" firmware, you can root it and install AMR from rupor. Adds a lot of convenience to the original T2. Besides, as it becomes an open android, you can use the reader of your choice.
On T2, I read books with Cool Reader 3 built by jotas.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #94
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
I am not really sure where the claim that a light layer makes the screen worse when the light is off is coming from. I have a Kobo Glo, and I've had every Sony from PRS 500 to the T1, and have used the T2, and with the light turned off the Kobo screen is better than everything through the T1, and either same or slightly better than the T2 to my eyes.
It is reasonable that the light distributing layer cannot be 100% transparent.
It degrades the contrast somewhat.
But it is difficult to notice. For me, the screens of T2 and of Aura look almost identical: the same hue / warmness of the white background, the same contrast. The difference in resolution is not very apparent in plain text at 20 points.

However, there is another problem with the glowing screen: cracks might develop in the light distributing layer. At least this problem was reported by hundreds of Nook Glowlight owners.
When cracks appear, you no longer can use the light (it shines straight into your eyes) but you still have that unnecessary layer. Those cracks might even be visible with the light off.

So mainly because of that I don't want any integrated lighting.

Quote:
Basically my must have features list is light, microSD (well any expandable media, I am not picky), touch, and preferably a high res screen. I would prefer to get a Sony.
My must have features are:

no light!!!
buttons!!!
microSD card!!!
Cool Reader!!!

However, I have Aura HD - which really has no features from the list:
it has the light, it has no buttons (terrible!)
and its microSD is useless:

I only tested Aura with 200 books yet. And Calibre creates shelves automatically on Aura. So that is good.
However, I was told that when the number of shelves reaches 30-40, Aura chokes. Not only the loading of the books is very very slow, but the usage becomes impossibly slow as well, using libraries with those shelves.
It is possible to have a 32 GB card in Aura, and also to replace the internal card with a 32 GB card too (as in your Glo). But why, if you only can load 20 shelves of books ...

Anyway, I will probably consider getting T3 when/if it is rooted, not before.
As I did with T2. I was waiting for it to be hacked/rooted.
Only then I got 4 of them - because I like it so much, I still keep 3.

Last edited by parkher; 07-04-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #95
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, the speed of the glo is comparable to that. I have a lot of books, and a lot of shelves, and while all my Sony readers had no issues with it, the kobo is absurdly slow. Opening my shelves list takes about two minutes by the clock, which is absurdly annoying. It doesn't even cache it, so if you open a shelf, and go back to the list, it still takes the same two minutes.

I do get the potential problem with cracks, but I've but really not heard of devices other than the nook - which was one if the reasons I didn't get it. If it happens, that will suck, but do far so good. Also I've made a pretty heavy duty case for my reader, and it protects the screen quite well.

Last edited by Kaitou Ace; 07-04-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Cellphone autocorrect b0rked a bit.
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #96
parkher
Evangelist

You hear, Kobo?

You can fix it in a couple of days, really:

1. fire everybody who has anything to do with your software.
2. hire a couple of 6th graders for a few days. Promise them some game console or something.
3. release your new much improved firmware on Monday.

Last edited by parkher; 07-04-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #97
Kaitou Ace
Zealot

Haha, that would do it. Seriously this is the first time I'm looking to upgrade not because the new device has better hardware, but because the old device has horrid software. Just no one else on the market has the features I'm looking for.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #98
parkher
Evangelist

Nobody has that awesome 6.8" screen. I betrayed all my principles and even began experimenting with Calibre because of it.

Maybe I can connect it somehow to T2?

Last edited by parkher; 07-04-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #99
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Well I like it in theory. But I have a kobo glo at the moment, and the software is utter garbage. If it could be hacked to have android or nearly anything else, I would gladly get it, but I don't trust kobo devs. Seriously the amount of glitchy, buggy crap I have to put up with just to read a book is driving me batty.
I'd like to know what is wrong with the software. Maybe you have a defective device. My Glo runs just fine. I am delighted with it, runs perfectly and no need to root or hack. I've had the T1, rooted and unrooted. It was ok, but I had plenty of issues with it freezing up. Needing reset. Fonts not rendering right. I've got a Paperwhite, rooted and added to, which is great due to that. But really, I'd prefer to have a device that I DIDN'T have to root to make it work the way I want it to, and KOBO is the only one of the three brands I've tried that fits the criteria.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #100
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I use the light on my Aura because I - somewhat capriciously - chose the white model and without the light the screen feels too grey. On my Kindle and other Kobos I'll quite happily read based on the ambient light but not the Aura. It's my one regret about buying the Aura.

I've never owned a Sony but I might be tempted if the spec is decent. I've played with a couple of earlier models but they always seemed over-priced.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #101
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post

However, I was told that when the number of shelves reaches 30-40, Aura chokes. Not only the loading of the books is very very slow, but the usage becomes impossibly slow as well, using libraries with those shelves.
It is possible to have a 32 GB card in Aura, and also to replace the internal card with a 32 GB card too (as in your Glo). But why, if you only can load 20 shelves of books ...
I don't think the person who told you that was correct. I don't have an aura but it has the same software as the Glo. My Glo currently has 77 shelves on it and it takes about 2 seconds to go to Shelves. Some are on the SD card, most are on the internal memory. Loading things to the card does make it run a little slower. I don't really need to use one, and with the Aura, even less need, since it has twice the memory. Replacing the internal card with a larger card would, I assume, eliminate that issue.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #102
Kaitou Ace
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'd like to know what is wrong with the software. Maybe you have a defective device. My Glo runs just fine. I am delighted with it, runs perfectly and no need to root or hack. I've had the T1, rooted and unrooted. It was ok, but I had plenty of issues with it freezing up. Needing reset. Fonts not rendering right. I've got a Paperwhite, rooted and added to, which is great due to that. But really, I'd prefer to have a device that I DIDN'T have to root to make it work the way I want it to, and KOBO is the only one of the three brands I've tried that fits the criteria.
I have a hard time believing that because I've had three of them, since I initially thought that the device was bad. But no.

I have the same amount of books and shelves on it as I've had on all of my Sony's. And it is a lot, there are about 2100 books on the device, with about 250 shelves. Atypical, maybe, but I travel a lot, and read a lot. None of the Sony readers I've had before had a problem with it. Once the initial scan finished, browsing collections was fast and relatively painless (although I do miss the old alphabetical quick-jump that the PRS650 had).

As I said earlier, it takes two minutes, by the watch to open the list, each and every time. Paging through the list with those tiny buttons at the bottom isn't very good either, because it'll often misinterpret the target area and jump all the way to one side or the other of the list. Makes me miss having a backup page turn button.

Decided you want to look at another shelf? Well re-loading the list takes two minutes again!
Did you open a book in a shelf? Well you can't get back to that shelf listing anymore! Back to home, and spend another two min loading the shelves list. And then paging through it. Lots of fun if you like reading books in a series.

When in a book, at least once per book the font size will reset to the smallest possible, and I have to resize it up and down to fix. I've also had to re-convert a bunch of my books because certain smart punctuation characters will cause the kobo to just skip everything between it and the chapter break. This doesn't always happen, but often enough to be a noticeable problem.

After I turn the device off, I have to keep the cover open for about a minute, if I close it earlier, it stays off, but the IR touch sensor keeps firing, and the battery will be dead by the time I return to it. Took a bit to figure that one out, I kept having the reader die every other day for a while before I did some research on that.

All in all, these things add up quickly. I often gift my old readers to friends or family, but this one is going to get gutted once I switch from it - I dont dislike anyone enough to inflict it on them.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #103
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

You do have a lot more books on yours. I've got just over 800 on mine, with 77 shelves.

And a BACK icon or button would be extremely helpful!

I have no problems paging through my shelf list or my shelves. And I load via Calibre so all my series data is listed on the line with the title. I find it much easier to customize than the T1.

I use a custom font, and I've not had any of the font or character trouble that you mention.

I use non-Kobo sleep covers and have not had any trouble with battery loss due to the sensor staying on.

As for your friends or relatives, perhaps you have one that will want to keep fewer books on the device than you do. It may be slower due to the sheer volume of books.

I'd love to have a device that could handle thousands, but none of the ones I've tried have done so satisfactorily, including my T1. Using the card in the T1 also slowed processes down noticeably. Ideally someone would make a device with so much storage there would be no need for a card. One nice thing about the Aura--4 GB. But I want one with 8 GB.

I'd be hesitant to buy another Sony, after the T1. No device is perfect. But I do not regret having sold both of my T1's.

Quote:
I have a hard time believing that because I've had three of them, since I initially thought that the device was bad. But no.

I have the same amount of books and shelves on it as I've had on all of my Sony's. And it is a lot, there are about 2100 books on the device, with about 250 shelves. Atypical, maybe, but I travel a lot, and read a lot. None of the Sony readers I've had before had a problem with it. Once the initial scan finished, browsing collections was fast and relatively painless (although I do miss the old alphabetical quick-jump that the PRS650 had).

All in all, these things add up quickly. I often gift my old readers to friends or family, but this one is going to get gutted once I switch from it - I dont dislike anyone enough to inflict it on them.

Last edited by booklover6; 07-04-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #104
parkher
Evangelist

I don't remember having any freezes with T1 or T2.
But I don't read with the native Sony reader, and I don't allow Sony to index my books.
So perhaps that is the reason that my readers are perfectly stable.
And I have 32 GB cards in all of them. And they are pretty full too.
Although about 10 GB perhaps are used for multiple dictionaries.
But still, 10-20 GB of books too.

With Cool Reader I don't have any problems you have with shelves on Kobo readers:
I use my own nested folders, and Cool Reader has its own internal file manager.
Besides, it has its internal last read book list (a stack, really) - you can get into it with a single button press (or touch) and once inside, for example, you may choose to get directly to the folder of any book in that list. In case you want to open another book in the same series, or just a close enough book to navigate through folders to a book you want.
Shelves, similar to Kobo shelves, are also on T1/T2. Thanks to rupor, who improved them, there are even auto shelves: each folder gets its own shelf automatically - it is very handy if you use Sony reader.
But I don't. I am very happy with Cool Reader - and it fully supports T1/T2 buttons too.
And allows to remap them any way I like.

So yes, Aura has an awesome screen but it demands such sacrifices from the user compared to almost perfect T2.

Last edited by parkher; 07-04-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #105
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
You do have a lot more books on yours. I've got just over 800 on mine, with 77 shelves.
I'd love to have a device that could handle thousands, but none of the ones I've tried have done so satisfactorily, including my T1. Using the card in the T1 also slowed processes down noticeably. Ideally someone would make a device with so much storage there would be no need for a card. One nice thing about the Aura--4 GB. But I want one with 8 GB.

I'd be hesitant to buy another Sony, after the T1. No device is perfect. But I do not regret having sold both of my T1's.
I have 6080 folders with 27000 books on one of my T1s.
It is fast and rock solid stable. Never any problems.
Navigating to the books is very fast and easy.

(I am using a pretty deep nested folder structure, so not all 6080 folders actualy contain books)

IMPORTANT NOTE: I do not use Sony reader and I do not allow Sony to index my books. Sony does not know I have 6 thousand folders with 30 thousand books in them.

I think that T2 is the best reader in the world and T1 is the second best.
If they are rooted with AMR installed on them, and with Cool Reader !!!
I personally currently own two T1s and three T2s and will not sell them, don't even ask.

BTW, you want 8 GB in Aura? You can have it

Last edited by parkher; 07-04-2013 at 02:46 PM.