Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
The perfect eReader?

I just ran across this device, the Innoversal Papyrus. Could this be the perfect eReader?
  • 8" e-ink screen
  • 1024 x 768
  • 16 gray level
  • Linux 2.6.31 OS
  • 8GB internal memory
  • up to 16GB memory card
  • usb, wifi, bluetooth, 3g
  • claimed 176 hour reading time
  • note & highlighting, handwriting, auto rotate, web browsing, drm, etc, etc,etc
  • 249g (8.4oz)
I can't find any info on price or launch. Does anyone know anything about this?

Company webpage:
http://translate.google.com/translat...m.tw%26hl%3Den

Computex page:
http://www.computex.biz/Innoversal/d...d=32791&pcode=
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hardware is all well and good. What's far more important, in the quest for the perfect reader, is the firmware.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Already available (from Irex)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
I just ran across this device, the Innoversal Papyrus. Could this be the perfect eReader?
  • 8" e-ink screen
  • 1024 x 768
  • 16 gray level
  • Linux 2.6.31 OS
  • 8GB internal memory
  • up to 16GB memory card
  • usb, wifi, bluetooth, 3g
  • claimed 176 hour reading time
  • note & highlighting, handwriting, auto rotate, web browsing, drm, etc, etc,etc
  • 249g (8.4oz)
I can't find any info on price or launch. Does anyone know anything about this?

Company webpage:
http://translate.google.com/translat...m.tw%26hl%3Den

Computex page:
http://www.computex.biz/Innoversal/d...d=32791&pcode=
sounds like a knockoff of the irex dr800

http://www.irexreader.com/specifications.html
http://www.irexreader.com/specifications.html

Edit (whoops my bad - it does not appear that the 800 is shipping yet - all i can find are renders)

Last edited by davidspitzer; 06-04-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: correction
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Certainly the iRex DR800 is shipping - it's been available for something like 6 months now.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
sounds like a knockoff of the irex dr800
It sounds a LOT better to me.

The web browser is important to me because it means I won't be locked into any one bookstore; I can buy directly from any bookstore without having to side load them from my desktop. A side benefit is that I would be able to check e-mail with the device.

Last edited by gastan; 06-04-2010 at 02:15 PM.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 12:59 AM   #6
Mach1.9pants
Mach1.9pants doesn't litterMach1.9pants doesn't litter

Device: DR1000S
Me, I quite fancy the Lattice... A little hands on with Endgadget IIRC.

http://www.innoversal.com.tw/en-us/p...s/default.aspx
Mach1.9pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
The race is on. This Fall there will be a slew of new readers. Primarily tablets but also eInk. I think in general terms the spec race is over. In that the competition will offer something for everyone.

For my money the best reader will be one that allows me to stay with Mobipocket if I want to stay with it. As well as choose ePub if so desired. At the moment I believe a Windows tablet will provide me with this choice. I will miss eInk but iRex and the others chose to not fight the good fight. I say this because the Kindle software is on an iPad. I know people are running ePub and I believe Mobipocket will eventually be possible if not already. So if Amazon allowed this to happen then it should have been allowed with the other eInk readers.

I believe Amazon is the reason these eInk readers are in trouble and the tablets will flourish. Sure multimedia is also a big draw but locking out multiple DRM choices is the dagger.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
People have different wants, needs, and requirements and therefore the perfect reader for all will never exist. Actually the perfect reader for the individual will never exist either. It's always a compromise on something.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hardware is all well and good. What's far more important, in the quest for the perfect reader, is the firmware.
Agreed. And price. And retail/online availability.

Nice looking units -- an 8" screen sounds nice and around the upper limit I want to go (at least, I think that's true today) as long as the unit itself doesn't grow much larger than the Kindle 2 (in other words, the screen uses more area with less "frame").

I also still can't make up my mind if the physical keyboard is important to me or not. I think it is. If the Kindle 2 keyboard was a little more usable, I believe I'd make greater use of search, highlights, notes, etc.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
klaus g. muller
klaus g. muller began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360°
Smile The ideal reader

Hello,
I read many ebooks in English. Since this is not my mother tongue, I should like to find - as the Sony Touch 600 offers it (but maybe cheaper) - a reader with an explantion of English words in English or - ideally - with a word translation English-German without complicated navigation but upon click with a fingernail (not an easy to loose pen). Does that exist or is it possible to add a translation program to one of the existing readers?
Thanks for your help!
Klaus G. Muller
klaus g. muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus g. muller View Post
Hello,
I read many ebooks in English. Since this is not my mother tongue, I should like to find - as the Sony Touch 600 offers it (but maybe cheaper) - a reader with an explantion of English words in English or - ideally - with a word translation English-German without complicated navigation but upon click with a fingernail (not an easy to loose pen). Does that exist or is it possible to add a translation program to one of the existing readers?
Thanks for your help!
Klaus G. Muller
It doesn't have a touchscreen, but the Ectaco Jetbook and Jetbook light can do translation of individual words including English to German.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
jee
Enthusiast
jee began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
I would buy this if it were released by July for somewhere around 500$. It looks to me like a great device, since I really want a web browser on the e-ink screen.
jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jee View Post
I would buy this if it were released by July for somewhere around 500$. It looks to me like a great device, since I really want a web browser on the e-ink screen.
Why not get something like a BeBook Neo, which has a web browser?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
jee
Enthusiast
jee began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why not get something like a BeBook Neo, which has a web browser?
I need a bigger screen, since I'll be using the e-reader for scientific articles. So, my only option for now is the Edge (or the Papyrus).
jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #15
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus g. muller View Post
Hello,
Thanks for your help!
Klaus G. Muller
But the PB360° can provide you with something like that. There are some english-english and an english-germn dictionary available for your reader.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote