Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
6 Reasons We're In Another 'Book-Burning' Period in History

"The next thing I'm going to say is going to make 80 percent of you want to punch me in the face, so let's get it out of the way: For the past year or so, part of my job has been to walk through library warehouses and destroy tens of thousands of often old and irreplaceable books.

Book burning is something people usually associate with the Third Reich (the fact that this is the second time this year I've been compared with Nazis on this website probably speaks more about me than I would care to admit sober), a symbol of intolerance and a hatred of intellectualism. But that's not why we're doing it. So, let me take this chance to make a few things clear ..."

"Imagine holding a beautiful, dusty, illustrated volume of Shakespeare printed in the 1700s, a calligraphic message from its long-dead owner inscribed on the inside cover, and throwing it straight in the trash. I've been there, more than once. I could have kept it and maybe gotten a few hundred dollars for it on eBay, if my supervisor wasn't watching with specific orders to prevent me from doing that."

Read more: 6 Reasons We're In Another 'Book-Burning' Period in History | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_19453...#ixzz1aVeXSMYb

salty language warning.

i'm sure this will angry up some blood. its bleeping disgusting.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not sure, but I think this thread may have Godwin-ed itself before it even started. Is that legal?

I think they forgot the "tear the cover off the paperback and return it for a refund while disposing of the rest" scenario that retailers have been doing forever.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-11-2011 at 05:23 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
My loacal libraries simply put them on dedicated shelves and sell - .20p - £1 - with a "cancelled" stamp on 'em.
Nobody to pay , money for the libraries, great bargain books for the people who pay for the libraries, and content, in the first place.
And scale is no excuse - put all those 1700's Shakespeares (oh, perlease) in boxes and sell them for $10/£5 etc..
Or give the lot to charity shops and let them sell them....

What a nonsense.

No library needs to do this.

Not April 1st is it ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just ship them to me. I'll do the categorizing and selling. Proceeds to a charity. Seriously. If this is going on, the library board is what needs burning, not the books.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
If you read the comments at the end, many people blame e-books for part of this.

I can't see any logic to destroying something that could be sold, especially if they are valuable antiques.

I do almost my reading on my e-reader, but I also have a library of DTBs that I do not want to destroy or sell. Many of them are books my father gave me or older books I've collected over the years. Others are reference works.

I think we do need to keep repositories of paper books, etc. Funding issues are a reality that need to be addressed though.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'm another who can't see any logic in destroying obviously valuable centuries old Shakespeare volume. Because it would take "too much time" for the staff to remove the library checkout card? huh???? Just how much time does it take for a well educated librarian to sort that list, pick out what are obviously the valuable books and send an employee out to retrieve them. If nothing else, put them in a large room and sell admission tickets to book collectors to go in and search through and find what they want. Somebody could then sit at the door with a book of collector price guide and negotiate the selling price as they leave. They'd make money from that. I volunteer every time our library has a used book "Friends Sale" and those EBAY and Amazon marketplace sellers show up at the crack of opening dying to go through what is there. It takes about 2 minutes to collect their money and stamp out the "Property of" marks as they walk out the door.

But the fact of the matter is .... where does the value of a book lie? Is it the paper, or the words? If a book is going to sit untouched and unseen in a warehouse for over a century, how valuable is that? I agree that destroying a collector book like that is morally reprehensible, but Shakespeare isn't going to disappear because of it.

One of the reasons digitization of literature is so important is so that a book never has to die because of water or smoke damage, lack of storage space, it went out of print, or it simply has been lost in a box or in the stacks at the British Library.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Uh, I dunno.
I'm not going to condone book burning or mulching, but...
...we're looking at an article from, ahem, CRACKED?
Last I heard, those folks made a living off satire, spoofs, and practical jokes.
So, I would take any reports of trashed Shakespearean folios coming from that direction with a dose of salt. Like five or six pounds worth.

Just me, mind you.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I just don't believe they are burning Shakespeare books from the 1700s. I'm calling BS on that one.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Uh, I dunno.
Last I heard, those folks made a living off satire, spoofs, and practical jokes.
So, I would take any reports of trashed Shakespearean folios coming from that direction with a dose of salt. Like five or six pounds worth.

Just me, mind you.
cracked has a shocking amount of fascinating and informative articles on science and history. last week they had one about how the food industry is filling food with wood pulp.

The 6 Most Horrifying Lies The Food Industry is Feeding You:

"You know what's awesome? Newspaper. Or, to be precise, the lack thereof. The Internet and other electric media have all but eaten up classic print media, with the circulations of almost all papers on the wane. Say, do you ever wonder what they do with all that surplus wood pulp?"

Read more: The 6 Most Horrifying Lies The Food Industry is Feeding You | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_19433...#ixzz1aWL2yApq

there was an article yesterday that exposed the truth about america's "enemies"-

6 B.S. Myths You Probably Believe About America's 'Enemies'

Read more: 6 B.S. Myths You Probably Believe About America's 'Enemies' | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_19461...#ixzz1aWMXYi00

while it may be presented with humorous elements i've actually learned a ton from the site. i don't find articles like that on "legitimate" news sources.

Last edited by xg4bx; 10-11-2011 at 08:01 PM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
Libraries do it all the time - it's called weeding. Not every book can stay on the shelf until the end of time, and the ones that don't get checked out get pitched. Don't get the vapors, though. Large library systems, and those at the state and university level try to keep the last copy of a tattered book that has circulated well, especially if it's out of print.

As far as the British Library and the Shakespeare book goes, I can believe it. It's the British Library; they probably get 18th century volumes of Shakespeare's works in the mail every day, and it's not like it was the First Folio or anything.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Satire can be educational, if read carefully.

My favorite CRACKED skit remains:
Commander Spock, boldly tip-toeing "Where no man has gone before": The Enterprise's ladies' restroom.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-11-2011 at 10:16 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
Academic libraries do not exist to preserve artifacts.
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Uh, I dunno.

Just me, mind you.
Cracked articles are generally adequately sourced enough to be credible information on whatever the topic of the article is. They just surround it with crude, humorous phrasing and images. Most of the time you can easily tell which parts they're exagerating/distorting for humorous effect, which parts they're pulling completely out of their asses, and which parts are real.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #14
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
My loacal libraries simply put them on dedicated shelves and sell - .20p - £1 - with a "cancelled" stamp on 'em.
Nobody to pay , money for the libraries, great bargain books for the people who pay for the libraries, and content, in the first place.
And scale is no excuse - put all those 1700's Shakespeares (oh, perlease) in boxes and sell them for $10/£5 etc..
Or give the lot to charity shops and let them sell them....

What a nonsense.

No library needs to do this.

Not April 1st is it ?
We have library sales all the time here in Perth. They are very popular.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I find it hard to believe that any library or librarian would enter a book from the 1700's into the general collection nowadays.

And if they entered it a couple of centuries ago why get rid of it now.

It is possible, but highly unlikely, even in the age of idiots.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote