Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-15-2008, 03:07 AM   #31
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could you elaborate on that last remark, Jon? I don't quite follow what you're saying!
I think he means he's staying far away from UniCode.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:30 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
OK, but what does that have to do with Book Cleaner?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #33
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I may be wrong, but seem to remember that earlier versions of book cleaner had a bug where 'oe' came out as an emdash. This was because the oe unicode character was used to substitute for emdashes at some stage in the cleaning process. When it came to the replacement stage odd things happened.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:55 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, ISTR that occured if you had the book language set to "English". As you know this (rather surprisingly) is the wrong choice in BD . "German" works the best for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you look in the list of find what and replace what, you will see initially uni characters were used. I've stopped using uni characters as I'm not sure which ones nobody wants to ever use.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:05 AM   #36
Roberts324
Mad translator
Roberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enough

Device: eBookwise 1150 reader, Samsung E60 reader, SAMSUNG N150 netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you look in the list of find what and replace what, you will see initially uni characters were used. I've stopped using uni characters as I'm not sure which ones nobody wants to ever use.
I am not sure either, but being French I would say that in roman, german and scandinavian languages at least the following characters are used:

All accented letters such as à, é, è , ë, ê, î, ï, ô, ü (german umlaut), û, etc.
oe (called "e dans l'o) as in oeuf, oeuvre, etc.
ñ (spanish "nina"
ç French cédille

Also, typographic rules in French (not sure whether they follow these rules in Italy or Spain) say that the english quotes (as in "quote") should be replaced by the opening and closing angle brackets or "guillemets", with a non-breaking space between the bracket and the word, in order to avoid widow/orphan words (both the brackets and the word should be on the next line if there is not room enough for them on a given line).

I am not sure that replacing english quotes by guillemets is at all possible using BD...

Robert
Roberts324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Robert, please read https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=11649&page=2 and that might answer your question about guillements.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #38
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I may be wrong, but seem to remember that earlier versions of book cleaner had a bug where 'oe' came out as an emdash. This was because the oe unicode character was used to substitute for emdashes at some stage in the cleaning process. When it came to the replacement stage odd things happened.
I have BD installed and BC 1.5 I run the emdash bit and it all converts great but I am getting the oe issue.........I have it set to german, what do I need to do? Hope you can help
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #39
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Try setting it to German, then reinstalling the latest book cleaner files. (Just drag and drop them into the Book Cleaner directory.)
It's odd that you're still having this problem. It vanished for me at about Book cleaner 1.3.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I need to update the Book Cleaner files to fix some more minor issues.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #41
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Try setting it to German, then reinstalling the latest book cleaner files. (Just drag and drop them into the Book Cleaner directory.)
It's odd that you're still having this problem. It vanished for me at about Book cleaner 1.3.
Thanks for the replies. Patricia, I have tried what you suggested.... Its on German and I am using the BC 1.5 files.........I open BC, then enter the two commands for emdashes as per the wiki guide, then open my book. The emdashes work great but all words containing 'oe' get turned to emdashes too , eg: 'does' becomes 'd--s' (sorry can't do emdashes on here lol). Then I have to use find/replace and manually change every oe emdash back to an oe.

Can't see what Im doing wrong. I know this was an issue previously but also saw it was fixed in 1.5. Just wish I could get it to run without all oe going to emdash too, then it would be perfect.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

babyd, I'll be uploading 1.6 later today so wait and try that and see what happens.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #43
babyd
Addict

HI JSWolf

Great thanks !!

I have been playing around with BD and found that if I set it to English and then load the book it will add emdashes and keep 'oe' correctly, but then English causes other small quirks, when I set it to German (as this is the preferred one) it puts in emdashes on 'oe' as well. Just thought I tell you in case it sheds light on something
Old 10-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #44
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Jon:

Since you keep improving the Book Cleaner files, could you make a note including the date when you post a new version? When did version 1.5 get posted?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:51 AM   #45
babyd
Addict

I have now tried loading books in other languages, all do the emdash and 'oe's too except English, but then I get other characters that don't work as English causes its own issues. I have no idea why mine is working differently to everyone else's.........I even removed it all and installed again, I am using the up to date files for it all, but it still does the same thing. very strange.

Any news on the new update Jon?

Tags
bookcleaner, bookdesigner