Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
How can you Customize Calibre's Look?

DoctorOhh - my Calibre icons don't look like yours. Did you do something custom to get them to look that way? As a matter of fact, my Calibre really hasn't changed it's appearance since I started using Calibre some time ago.

I am on version 0.9.11 so it is the latest version of Calibre but noticed that your icons look so much better. Help? Thanks!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
To avoid hijacking the previous thread I moved posts to new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
DoctorOhh - my Calibre icons don't look like yours. Did you do something custom to get them to look that way?
Yes I changed the icons that are used by calibre. I also customized my toolbars and menus to get them to where I like them. You'll notice that I also use the Favourites plugin by Kiwidude, customized to my liking. Kovid has given us a great deal of flexibility to tweak things to our tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
I am on version 0.9.11 so it is the latest version of Calibre but noticed that your icons look so much better. Help? Thanks!
You can change the icons that are used by calibre as well as what icons are shown by what toolbar. I posted about some available icon sets for calibre here.

Update: Also as of this version you can easily change all columns in your book list to one color with a basic rule. I'm experimenting with green. I had changed the Rating column (stars) to green a while back. You can set the rules by going to Preferences - Look and Feel - Column coloring tab. Other tabs under look and feel alter the interface too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my_favourites_menu.jpg
Views:	1415
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	98177   Click image for larger version

Name:	my_context_menu.jpg
Views:	1142
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	98178   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	460.6 KB
ID:	98180   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre2.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	98997  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-07-2013 at 10:34 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The screen flexibility is there.
I make use of all three menu Locations

In addition, I replaced a few icons (used in the tag browser) with a reduced size version
Some Items , I just use Hot keys, so there are no Icons wasting (placed) valuable screen space. You may have noticed, I not only leave the cover browser closed, but I run it detached (and usually on my second screen).

The nice thing about Calibre's visuals: If you don't like where it is , change a setting and try something else (Most are under Preferences: Interface. a few I use (like dates, are in Preferences: Tweaks).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AnotherLayout.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	98196  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Thank you so much All! I continue to learn something every day from this group - I had no idea that I could customize Calibre on that level.

I can't tell you how grateful I am for the very cool information and I can't wait to start customizing Calibre. Please note: I LOVE THE PROGRAM but would like to "prettyrize" the UI.

Thanks all - MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@DoctorOhh: it is nice to see someone using partitioning in the tag browser. I built it because it was what I wanted to use, but I have never been sure whether or not I am its only user. Now I know...

Sort-of on topic: Kovid fixed my 'bug' where only one rule could be used for coloring all columns. That fix will be out in the next release.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@DoctorOhh: it is nice to see someone using partitioning in the tag browser. I built it because it was what I wanted to use, but I have never been sure whether or not I am its only user. Now I know...

Sort-of on topic: Kovid fixed my 'bug' where only one rule could be used for coloring all columns. That fix will be out in the next release.
I use partitioning in 2 places:

Series.subseries or branch
eg. Pern.HarperHall, Pern.Dragon Riders of
Honorverse.Saganami, Honorverse.Worlds of Honor

Tag.subtag
eg. script.movie, script.game
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Chaley and Theducks,
Hmmm.. I'm not actively using this feature but the way it's mentioned, it might be of use to me. Is there a discussion thread I can read to review the functionality?

Apologies for the conversational tangent.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/sub_groups.html help?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post

I use partitioning in 2 places:

Series.subseries or branch
eg. Pern.HarperHall, Pern.Dragon Riders of
Honorverse.Saganami, Honorverse.Worlds of Honor

Tag.subtag
eg. script.movie, script.game
Partitioning in the tag browser and subgroups using the hierarchy feature are two different things.

Partitioning is set via Preferences - Interface - Look and Feel - Tag Browser Tab. Setting up subgroups using the hierarchy feature is explained in the link PeterT provided above.

@chaley The reason I showed the tags expanded in the third image I attached above was so folks could see the possibilities. Thanks for building this feature.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote