Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thumbs up Kobo reading app is great!

I just got it and downloaded a book. It has very huge fonts, choice of white text on black, and seems to have a good selection online for direct download. FOR ME, IT SEEMS TO BE THE PERFECT READING APP!

YIPPEE!!!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:15 AM   #2
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Kobo is the same crap as other ebook readers in iPad: it lacks of column mode (text at smal fonts is too wide) and the fonts are not smooth (but this is an iPad problem itself), and if you read with those big fonts you need to put your device at one meter of distance to not tire your eyes...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I just got it and downloaded a book. It has very huge fonts, choice of white text on black, and seems to have a good selection online for direct download. FOR ME, IT SEEMS TO BE THE PERFECT READING APP!

YIPPEE!!!
That's great to hear. It's nice to have a choice of apps, to suit individuals' needs and preferences. Enjoy!
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I haven't really used Kobo since I put it on my iPhone..I'll give the iPad version a try!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Thanks for the input. I downloaded the app and checked out Dracula which was preloaded. Frankly not impressed with the presentation. I perfer the "look" of the iBook for the same material. I also downloaded Dracula on the Kindle app for comparisons, and while I was on Amazon, also downloaded two more classic books which were suggested.
Now, if Feedbook would come up with an Ipad app, that would be awesome! But I can download their books in Epub format and sync through Itunes, so no biggie.

Last edited by MsAstoria; 05-19-2010 at 01:29 PM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post

YIPPEE!!!
I've been reading their FAQs, but find them confusing. It sounded like you have to be connected to the internet to read your books on the ipad. When you say for "direct download", have you found a way to actually buy the book and keep it on your ipad, rather than have to read it on their site? Any help is appreciated
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I've been reading their FAQs, but find them confusing. It sounded like you have to be connected to the internet to read your books on the ipad. When you say for "direct download", have you found a way to actually buy the book and keep it on your ipad, rather than have to read it on their site? Any help is appreciated
I turned off my Internet connection and was able to read Kobo books I'd already loaded. I think they mean you need the Internet connection only to buy new books.

It does give you a prompt that says you're not on the Internet, but you just click past it and read what you've already got.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I turned off my Internet connection and was able to read Kobo books I'd already loaded. I think they mean you need the Internet connection only to buy new books.

It does give you a prompt that says you're not on the Internet, but you just click past it and read what you've already got.
Super - thank you. In that case, I'll give them a try.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote