Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #61
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
This doesn't look that great because I only have MS Paint on my netbook, but you should get the idea. I'll try using Photoshop to clean it up tomorrow.

Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #62
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Hopefully I didn't screw this up and the attachments will show below. So I'm hoping this displays four images. They're all based on the image from the ePub site with the top looking like a unlocked padlock, and they're shown in various sizes (150x150, 50x50, 25x25, and 16x16).

Name:  epub150.gif
Views: 502
Size:  8.3 KB

Name:  epub50.gif
Views: 511
Size:  2.1 KB

Name:  epub25.gif
Views: 506
Size:  1.3 KB

Name:  epub16.gif
Views: 506
Size:  1.0 KB
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #63
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
One of the Logo's is infected with DRM. One is not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	logo 11.png
Views:	323
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	28499   Click image for larger version

Name:	logo 12.png
Views:	329
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	28500  
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #64
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I took the liberty of sending the modifications the threepress logos to them, and it sees they liked it enough to upload them: http://www.threepress.org/epub/logos
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #65
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Hopefully I didn't screw this up and the attachments will show below. So I'm hoping this displays four images. They're all based on the image from the ePub site with the top looking like a unlocked padlock, and they're shown in various sizes (150x150, 50x50, 25x25, and 16x16).
I think these are pretty good. They're simple and easily identifiable. A locked version would be a good logo for DRM'd ePub but I can see how companies adding DRM might not want to use such a logo.

Another thought, maybe you can increase the distance in the open lock? In the 16x16, the padlock looks almost closed.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 05-07-2009 at 01:43 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #66
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I personally think tying the logo and the lock elements together is confusing, especially if DRM becomes a non-issue. I still maintain that establishing a universal ePub (or Open Book) logo is needed before you try to create variations on it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #67
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
I think the key is the 'Pub' part of ePub.

What is a commons?

An area that intersects multiple personal domains.

m a r
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ePub.png
Views:	383
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	29235  
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #68
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
what about a open book for drm free and a close book for drm locked.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #69
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Why don't you make an image game with the padlock and the e? I know I should be showing the idea more than saying it, but I sincerely lack the design skills.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #70
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
There are some pretty good designs and I think they would work well as a logo, but I'm have some difficulty seeing them used as icons for epub files.

What is the differentiator between the DRMed and DRM-free files so that the OS can recognise them and assign the correct icon. As far as I can tell all epubs look the same to the current generation of OS's as the development of ebook files has not progressed as far as say music files that the OS can display information about them. And untill the OS can tell the difference between the two, this won't work.

Seeing as alot of people would associate the logo with the icon, why don't you just make a decent epub symbol that can be used as both a logo and an icon that is easily recognised as such and stop worrying about whether the file is DRM'ed or not.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #71
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
This thread started a while back even before ePUB really started taking off. The problem I saw arising was this. ePUB might be an open standard but it fell short in one major area "Defining DRM"

This posses a real compatibility problem. Even though ePUB is an "Open Standard" ePUB + DRM is not. ePUB + DRM is just as bad as any propriatry solution or in my view even worse than a proprietary solution. This is because a vendor might claim they support ePUB but add their own DRM. And lead to confustion.

Well lest FF to the present, and sure enough that is exactly what we have. We now have two different version of ePUB + DRM, with a third one on it's way.

The idea was that we created an icon, more along the idea of branding that tied to OS functionality, to denote a true open standard. If you as a customer saw this Icon on the store front or Device Vendor you would know this ePUB would work without any confusion on your part.

The first part was to established two brand one with no DRM one with DRM, where the DRM was truly an open standard not owned by any one company.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:40 AM   #72
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
We now have two different version of ePUB + DRM, with a third one on it's way.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like the two existing versions are technically identical - the difference is how they derive the key used to encrypt the document. (The account-based option gets the key from Adobe's server based on the account ID, while the password-based option is a function of name/password - in B&N's case, credit card number.)
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #73
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like the two existing versions are technically identical
I'm pretty sure they are different, I<3cabbages has the encryption details on his blog.

But really that is not the point I was making earlier. My point was really from a user experience point of view. Say that ePUB was the same if they where the same, like the kindle and mobipocket to the user they are not compatible because a device that supports mobipocket will not read kindle books and vise versa.

In the B&N case they licensed their DRM to adobe so now they can read both DRM formats but other devices like the Sony can only read adobe.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote