Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
How about these? Now with the real font (Steelfish).

I'm working with the SVG and I could do versions of the other variants too.
The word "free" should be a little bit curved like the book-page behind it. Can you try that? I guess it would look better if the words would really look like imprinted.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #17
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I think the word DRM is too small. I made it the size I did for a reason. Make one hollow and one black DRM and see what the response is.
I see, it didn't look so small at full size

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
The word "free" should be a little bit curved like the book-page behind it. Can you try that? I guess it would look better if the words would really look like imprinted.
Yes, I thought the same, but the PUB part is not curved anyway, and it should be, a bit. I don't know if I can curve it with Inkscape, I'll try... For the moment here you have a skewed version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freepub-logos02b.png
Views:	373
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	28171   Click image for larger version

Name:	freepub-logos02c.png
Views:	382
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	28172   Click image for larger version

Name:	freepub-logos02d.png
Views:	381
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	28173  
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just a thought, but if we want/hope epub will become ubiquitous, does it really need a logo associated with both a book and its name? Take for example commonly used PDF logos, they dont have either the word PDF or pictures of documents in them.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't know if I can curve it with Inkscape
Yes, I can, see below (I curved the PUB too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just a thought, but if we want/hope epub will become ubiquitous, does it really need a logo associated with both a book and its name? Take for example commonly used PDF logos, they dont have either the word PDF or pictures of documents in them.
No, of course. A logo can be anything nice. I was just taking what I use for a logo in lack of anything better... but having the word ePUB in the logo helps for those that don't know the logo.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	393
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	28183  
Old 04-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #20
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I think this is better.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	383
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	28184  
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #21
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Yes, I can, see below (I curved the PUB too)
No, of course. A logo can be anything nice. I was just taking what I use for a logo in lack of anything better... but having the word ePUB in the logo helps for those that don't know the logo.
Quote:
I think this is better.
Jellby, thank you. I think the curved one looks better.
But the problem is the base line of the words. "PUB" doesn't use the same base line as "Free"...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
No reason to give up on colour. Red for "DRM", green for "Fre"...
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #23
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
What about a stylized drawing of a Klein bottle, green for non-drm, red for drm'd, in larger views can have "ePub" subscripted and offset to the image... The imagery could represent information without boundaries. As to the shape of the Klein bottle, I'd recommend something closer to one of these glass bottles then those typically shown for mathematic representations...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
What about a stylized drawing of a Klein bottle, green for non-drm, red for drm'd, in larger views can have "ePub" subscripted and offset to the image... The imagery could represent information without boundaries. As to the shape of the Klein bottle, I'd recommend something closer to one of these glass bottles then those typically shown for mathematic representations...

-MJ
Ah, you are beginning to border on a judgment. DRM can be neither good nor bad if you expect the logo to be used. It has to be just information. Placing a judgment on it that non-DRM is good and DRM is bad will cause no publisher to use it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #25
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Ah, you are beginning to border on a judgment. DRM can be neither good nor bad if you expect the logo to be used. It has to be just information. Placing a judgment on it that non-DRM is good and DRM is bad will cause no publisher to use it.

Dale
Ok, change it to green and blue? You didn't mention if you liked the design idea...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In my honst opinion, I'm finding the logo to be rather boring.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
No reason to give up on colour. Red for "DRM", green for "Fre"...
If you use red and green, it'll look like a Christmas ornament.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #28
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
This is what I came up with.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	epub 1.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	28205   Click image for larger version

Name:	epub 3.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	28206  

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 04-29-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #29
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you use red and green, it'll look like a Christmas ornament.
Was it that obvious? Christmas wish fulfilled...

BTW, nice signature. Colourful.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What I really dislike about these logos is that they have to stick it in my face that the ePub is without DRM. And that takes up space and makes the logos look ugly.

Why not an ePub logo for DRM free ePub that doesn't push the fact in your face and one for ePub with DRM. Neither will say DRM free or not. All that will happen is that they will be different and that's how you will know.