Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
ADE gives repeated instructions to update when it is already updated

Okidoki. Adobe. Hah.

Here is my problem:

* I cannot download a DRM'd ePub book I bought from Fictionwise. It's the first time I've bought a DRM'd ePub.

* I was able to download the acsm file.

* My ADE version is 1.7.2.1131, which is current, I think (I just updated today).

* When I click on the acsm file, ADE tries to launch, but it keeps on giving me this message:

"There is a new version of Adobe Digital Editions available. To continue using Adobe Digital Editions you must download the update."

But my ADE version is current.

* I am using Vista.

What is the cause of this problem, and what is the solution, please?

Thanks.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I can confirm your version is the same that I am running on Vista Ultimate.

First, start ADE. It should have an Icon on your desktop, or find it under Programs.

If it comes up with no errors, use it to add your book to it's library.

Don't start by clicking on the book - launch ADE first.

Also I suggest you scan your computer for digitaleditions.exe, which is the executable.

Maybe an old copy is installed somewhere else - like by Sony. I would not put it past them...

Robert

Last edited by rmm200; 02-24-2010 at 10:04 PM.
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Robert, you were on the right track there, only ADE was a bit sneaky.

I found the solution at the Adobe installation tech note:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403051.html

After installing ADE, make sure to follow the very last step:

Quote:
Uninstall previous versions of Digital Editions:
* From your user directory, locate /Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/www.macromedia.com/bin/open.
* Drag the digitaleditions1x5 folder to the Trash.
* Empty the Trash. You must have admin privileges to complete this step.
Only in my case, the offending directory was in a different location than the one the Adobe instruction lists. I found my digitaleditions1x5 folder in:

Code:
C:\Users\[your_user_directory]\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin
Apparently, "previous versions" are not always found solely where they were initially installed (they are usually installed under the Program Files folder). Note the final instruction to empty the trash.

Geniuses.

I am hoping that ePub will not be tied to Adobe in the future.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Glad you solved it!

Just a note - EPub is not tied to Adobe. EPub is a standard for making books readable on portable devices. EPub accommodates DRM - which is tied to Adobe, but nothing about the standard requires DRM to be used.

Many of us hope DRM gets buried in the trash heap of history. If it does, the EPub standard will go on fine without it.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
Glad you solved it!

Just a note - EPub is not tied to Adobe. EPub is a standard for making books readable on portable devices. EPub accommodates DRM - which is tied to Adobe, but nothing about the standard requires DRM to be used.

Many of us hope DRM gets buried in the trash heap of history. If it does, the EPub standard will go on fine without it.

Robert
Thank you.

Yes, I was alluding to the fact that ePub is currently tied in a very annoying manner to Adobe via DRM. Adobe+DRM makes me very cranky.
Advert