Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I never heard of one; all of the ones I know can at least read ePUB as well. Which ones can only read PDF?
The ultra-expensive Sony 13" one. It's purely a PDF reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #32
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Just purchased Star Trek: Voyager: A Pocket Full of Lies by Kirsten Beyer from Kobo. It was indeed DRM-Free!!!!!! *happy dance*

Most of the sci-fi publishers seem to sell DRM-Free. Wonder when the rest will get with it.

Last edited by PurpleStar; 04-03-2016 at 09:08 PM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2016, 11:21 PM   #33
Dono
Dono began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Note, incorrect. You can get Star Trek eBooks from Amazon. I don't know about DRM at Amazon.
Hi JSWolf. I was specifically reporting on my experience of purchasing Star Trek books from Simon & Schuster.
Dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:10 AM   #34
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The ultra-expensive Sony 13" one. It's purely a PDF reader.
Noted But, in all fairness, doesn't Sony put that device down as a replacement for paper drawings, mostly technical in nature, and not as an e-reader?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:21 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Noted But, in all fairness, doesn't Sony put that device down as a replacement for paper drawings, mostly technical in nature, and not as an e-reader?
No, you're thinking of the Pocketbook CAD reader. The Sony is sold as a business document reader. It'll read PDF, DOC, etc, but not ebook formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2016, 06:17 AM   #36
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
If I don't go blind I will, but maybe it isn't a good idea to start buying 700 books more than 30 years in advance. I've already done that with the Forgotten Realms novels and many other books. I don't expect to be able to read my entire *CURRENT* library in the rest of my life... except if I get down to reading two or three books a week and then live another 10+ years
I'm planning on solving my TBR list problems by becoming immortal, haven't quite worked out all the details yet but if all goes to plan I should have plenty of time to sort them out. I may have a slight Catch 22 problem there.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:50 AM   #37
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you're thinking of the Pocketbook CAD reader. The Sony is sold as a business document reader. It'll read PDF, DOC, etc, but not ebook formats.
Meh. Now I've painted myself into a corner
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #38
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Trek fan but have never read any of the books. What are some must read ones?
As has been mentioned, the quality wildly varies book by book. I haven't read much of the newer stuff but here are some of my favorite older books:

TOS:
Dreadnought! by Diane Carey
Battlestations! by Diane Carey
Final Frontier by Diane Carey
Vulcan Academy Murders by Jean Lorrah
IDIC Epidemic by Jean Lorrah
Yesterday's Son by A.C. Crispin
Time for Yesterday by A.C. Crispin
My Enemy, My Alley by Diane Duane
The Romulan Way by Diane Duane & Peter Morwood
Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan
Ishmael by Barbara Hambly

The Entire New Frontier series by Peter David.
The first four books are available together titled as New Frontier.
Entire list of New Frontier can be found here:
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/lcars-FNT.php

Enjoy!

Last edited by vsalvaggio; 04-04-2016 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added Ishmael
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #39
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Maybe if you have one of those large e-ink tablets that can only read PDF?
Or if you read on a computer. From the publishers mentioned, it sounds like they usually only buy tech manuals in digital format so pdfs are what they're probably just accustomed to.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:41 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I never heard of one; all of the ones I know can at least read ePUB as well. Which ones can only read PDF?
The 13.3" eInk device by Sony only handles PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:44 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Trek fan but have never read any of the books. What are some must read ones?
The must read ones are every single book that's been released after the Star Trek movie Nemesis starting with A Death in Winter by Jan Michael Friedman.

These books are part of an expanded universe. So reading them in published order is a good idea.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-10-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:34 AM   #42
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Heads up...Enterprise Rise of the Federation series on sale for $1.99 each all DRM-Free!! Plus the Q Continuum trilogy by Greg Cox $1.99 each. Get them while they're cheap!
Old 04-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Heads up...Enterprise Rise of the Federation series on sale for $1.99 each all DRM-Free!! Plus the Q Continuum trilogy by Greg Cox $1.99 each. Get them while they're cheap!
Also Star Trek: Titan: Absent Enemies is $1.99
Old 04-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #44
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Also Star Trek: Titan: Absent Enemies is $1.99
That's a novella, seems like the regular price.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #45
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
We have nearly identical favorites lists!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsalvaggio View Post
As has been mentioned, the quality wildly varies book by book. I haven't read much of the newer stuff but here are some of my favorite older books:

TOS:
Dreadnought! by Diane Carey
Battlestations! by Diane Carey
Final Frontier by Diane Carey
Vulcan Academy Murders by Jean Lorrah
IDIC Epidemic by Jean Lorrah
Yesterday's Son by A.C. Crispin
Time for Yesterday by A.C. Crispin
My Enemy, My Alley by Diane Duane
The Romulan Way by Diane Duane & Peter Morwood
Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan
Ishmael by Barbara Hambly