Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
DeusExMe
Kingdom Agent
DeusExMe began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
O Battery life, battery, wherefore art thou, battery life?

My battery life disappears for no apparent reason. Even with Whispernet turned off and the Kindle power turned off, I woke up this morning to find that the battery had dropped down to no power, needing to be charged. What could be going on?
DeusExMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
First off, when was the last time you charged it? Was it low before you turned it off?
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
That's really weird.

A few things:
A) The Kindle does use energy when it is just sitting there contrary to press statements
B) The Kindle's battery indicator is... well.. not at all reliable.

Also, it could be another issue. My Kindle had a problem similar, and was fixed by reflashing the firmware. I don't remember how to do this, but you may be able to find instructions online or call Kindle support and get instructions. Fixed mine and no problems since.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
If it is like the Sony, then the battery meter may need a few cycles before it calibrates itself accurately. I'd experiment with a couple of evernight charges and see if things improve. Then contact Amazon if they don't.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
DeusExMe
Kingdom Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSo View Post
First off, when was the last time you charged it? Was it low before you turned it off?
Well it was down to about 1/4, maybe less, by the meter. Still that should be good for hundreds of more page turns at that point.
Advert
Old 06-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Yeah, that's enough... the battery display is just not reliable. Once you get to that point, you can almost expect it to go off at some point. If you're actually reading it'll give you a warning, but the meter is primitive.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
DeusExMe, all batteries, even this, lose some charge even when idle. I always charge when the meter gets down to one bar, and never lost it all yet in six months.

The thing to consider is how much you have read before it does get down to one bar. With Whispernet turned off, you should be able to go about a week, depending upon how much you read, before needing a recharge. I read several hours a day, and still go a week.

If it gets low with only a day or so of use, then call Amazon, and if the battery is defective, they'll replace it with no problem.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMe View Post
Well it was down to about 1/4, maybe less, by the meter. Still that should be good for hundreds of more page turns at that point.
Nope -- once it drops below the 1/4 mark, plan on charging pretty soon. I did run mine to the point where it flashed a warning that the battery needed to be charged. I didn't -- just put the thing to sleep with the Alt-Aa key press, thinking I'd just use it later until it quit. Next morning, it was dark. Recharged & it wouldn't power on until I used the forced reset with a paper-clip.

But -- with the antenna turned off and reading from 2-6 hours a day, I easily get 4-8 days on a single charge. Turning on the antenna means needing to charge every-other day, but I don't try to use the Kindle to surf the net. I only use the antenna for deliberately downloading content from Amazon, MobileRead, or Feedbooks.

Last edited by Elsi; 06-27-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
DeusExMe
Kingdom Agent

Another Tech problem too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Next morning, it was dark. Recharged & it wouldn't power on until I used the forced reset with a paper-clip..

This is interesting to me because I have another concern too.

A couple of times now, I believe both of them following recharges, the Kindle would not power back on at first. Today, I pushed the power button into the up position and....nothing. Then I had my wife plug the thing in again and it turned right on.

Could this be systematic of deeper issues? Should I contact Amazon?
Old 06-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
A couple of times now, I believe both of them following recharges, the Kindle would not power back on at first. Today, I pushed the power button into the up position and....nothing. Then I had my wife plug the thing in again and it turned right on.

You could. I didn't. The only time the unit has bricked is when I let it run all the way down so far that there wasn't even the "lock up screen" being displayed. After a recharge, it wouldn't turn on -- and I assumed it was because the machine had gotten confused when the battery died. A quick press with the end of a paper clip in the "reset" hole under the cover and the Kindle came right on. It's never shown any bad behaviour except when I mistreated it.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

This is interesting to me because I have another concern too.

I would doubt if there are deeper issues. It is likely the unit is getting confused when the battery is really low. It is trying to work without enough juice. It is not a good idea to just run down the battery. (except once or twice to help calibrate the meter). It is better to keep it topped off. Lithium ION batteries prefer to be topped off. Just charge it and keep it charged when you are around home and then if you need to go somewhere you will know you have maximum power available for the trip.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I noticed that mine froze when it got down to one bar. It was while my neighbor was borrowing it, and she was afraid she had broken it.

However, I just recharged it and then hit the reset on the back, and it was just fine. Since then, I plug it in while I'm at my desk, or if I plan to use it as a browser for any length of time.

Although, I have found that if I'm browsing a specific site (like the tv listings) I can leave it in Whispernet mode just long enough to allow the page to load, and then I can turn it off and flip between the pages of the site while they are still in memory.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:30 AM   #13
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I recently discovered that leaving the unit in Alt-aA mode and leaving it with its buttons pressed (like the embrace from a bag's zipped net pouch) will drain the battery in a few hours.

Leaving the wireless on can drain the battery very rapidly if the Kindle winds up in a wireless dead zone. The unit doesn't seem to be incredibly clever about backing off on trying to reach the network to save the battery.

I've also noticed that large books eat the battery like candy as the Kindle works to index the book after download. Purchase several tomes at the same time and you can lose a bar off the meter over the next hour even with the unit otherwise completely idle.

Every time I flattened my Kindle's battery (testing the buttons) I had to reset it to recover it. Having designed portable battery operated devices myself I can attest that a solid self-reset from a battery drain with Intel CPU's is tough. They just seem to need an extra whack to get them to start working again.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #14
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Does Kindle recharge when connected to the USB port of your computer like Ipods do?
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Does Kindle recharge when connected to the USB port of your computer like Ipods do?
It does trickle charge ... but it won't charge from a completely spent battery through USB.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote