Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #46
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post

I would love to know just how cold or hot it can get without harming your e-ink ereader. It's currently winter in the northern hemisphere and I don't use my Kindle outside when it is below freezing. I do however carry it inside a slipcase stored inside a shoulder bag.
Usually the safe temperature variations are in the specifications. If not, then Amazon could easily give you those details.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #47
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I would love to know just how cold or hot it can get without harming your e-ink ereader. It's currently winter in the northern hemisphere and I don't use my Kindle outside when it is below freezing. I do however carry it inside a slipcase stored inside a shoulder bag.
From the PW user guide - so I would assume a similar range for other models
Operating temperature: 0C to 35C (32F to 95F)
Storage temperature: -10C to 45C (14F to 113F)

Though it doesn't mean that it's going to die if you're using it at 36C or -1C
When I go to the South of France, it's often warmer than 35C in the shade and I've never had issues with the K3 (not taken the PW there yet)
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 06:13 AM   #48
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaders View Post
"They only last for about a year. after the first year either the battery or the display performance will drop."
If this is true then I will buy the cheapest model that I can get in the market.
My Sony PRS-500 still works. It is the oldest 6" e-ink reader available outside Japan.
So even after 6 years it is still usable. It saw about 3 years of intensive every-day use. The display is clearly inferior to the newest models, of e-ink screens, but it *is* three generations older.
I also have PocketBook 360° well over 3 years old and it is still in working condition. Recently a screen driver started to show signs of old age - it might fail in foreseeable future. I have used this reader every single day, I carry it *everywhere* (except to work, where I am supposed to work and not read fiction).
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #49
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I tend to agree with the majority. I have three readers. Two are Sonys and they are in fine shape. I purchased my PRS-505 around the time I joined MR, it still works well. The battery is only beginninf to be a problem.
I purchased my PRS-700 as soon as it came out. It is by far my favorite e-Ink reader.
Then when Barnes and Noble came out with the Nook Classic, I got it that first week. It lasted just over a year. I am thinking of replacing the battery and trooking it.
Then last year when they came out with the Nook Tablet, I got it right away. It has developed some slight cable problems right at it's one year anniversary. However, it does still work and with its' expanded capacity I keep most of my library on it. I enjoy the backlit screen for night reading.

For me.....my next reader will be another Sony. I find them very reliable.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #50
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Those old Sony PRS500/505 readers were built like tanks and priced to match. New readers are less than 1/2 the price and 1/2 the weight. There's no guarantee that they'll be as long-lasting as the old models. Maybe the touchscreens and plastic cases will last longer than the buttons and metal cases, and maybe they won't. We'll just have to wait and see.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #51
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Bebook mini purchased @ my joining time still alive. Don't let marketeers FUD you.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #52
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Sounds like your sales person might be on commission. If they are then they have a vested interest in getting you to buy a new device every year.

I read for at least 4 hours a day and a lot more at week-ends so I need a reader that will last. Like many of you I've got a Sony PRS-505 which is nearly four years old. It still works fine even though the battery was charged at least once a week every week. Last year when I bought a T1, but only because its so much lighter to carry around and it also gets charged every week.

Now if Sony would just produce a back lit model like the Kindle Paperwhite and Kobo Glo life would be perfect.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #53
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I gave my first generation Nook(2009 ish) to my son-in-law and it's still strong on battery and screen quality.. I went to Kindle Keyboard(2010) so I coud buy from Amazon instead of B&N and it's still going fine though I want to trade back with my son-in-law because I really miss the audio book feature that the Nook had.. Nice little external speaker and SD card to put the audios on. Kindle said it played audio files, but that's a joke..Ended up with a KoboGlo which is lovey, 3 months old going strong, but no audio.. I do not want a tabet, too complicated. Simple reader with audio functions all I want...I think the good ones last years if not abused.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #54
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
My first Kindle was the K-3 3G purchased in October 2010. It has needed a couple of re-boots, but is otherwise going strong and I use it every day. We have a number of Kindles in our family – a Touch model, a Fire, another K-3 and a PaperWhite. All get pretty regular use and all are operating perfectly.

We still have our iPad 1 and that is fine as well. We have since purchased an iPad 3 and a Mini so there are not as many “my turn” arguments.
For basic e-mail, the original iPad works perfectly fine.
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #55
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
I have two Kindles, both used an average of a couple of hours per day, both in sturdy cases, and I keep the wireless radios off 99 % of the time, reducing battery drain and the frequency of recharge cycles. My Kindle keyboard is 30 months old and has traveled extensively with no damage, including trips into remote areas here in Alaska. My K4B is six months old. It has done a couple of cross-continent trips but no backcountry ones. Both devices are in near-perfect condition with no battery issues, lock-ups, etc.

I believe it seldom pays to buy extended warranties. If you look at actual statistics instead of anecdotes, you are better off keeping your money and self-insuring. Most devices and appliances you get extended warranties for do not break, and if you keep your money you have the use of it and can earn interest on it in the meantime. Also, if like me you use an AmEx card for most purchases, standard warranties are doubled.

The OP's experience does sound like an upsale attempt to me. When salespeople push extended warranties right after lauding the design and quality of their wares, I have to wonder . . .
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #56
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
My Sony T1 lasted about 8 months and I'd never taken better care of a gadget, I'm on my replacement now and hoping for better but I don't really trust the model anymore and don't really expect much better.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #57
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
We have three e-readers in our house, and the oldest is only just under two years old. But all are older models and all were sold as refurbished units, and so far we've yet to have a single problem with them.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #58
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaders View Post
I am planning to buy an ereader within this week.
Looked at Kobo, Kindle and Sony.
I went to a retail store today and spoke with the Sales/Tech. He told me that nearly all of his customers used ereader would give him the same feedback.
"They only last for about a year. after the first year either the battery or the display performance will drop."
If this is true then I will buy the cheapest model that I can get in the market.
Buy another one once my first one die.
Do you agree?
I didn't buy my Kindle for the device any more than I bought my computer because it's a lovely machine. I bought my ereader based on the availability of books I want to read in English when I'm living in Mexico. I bought my computer for the programs I wanted to run.

I chose to go with Kindle and my second Kindle worked until I loaned it to a friend to go trekking in Nepal. The bag with the Kindle in an outside pocket got dropped a long way and it broke. My Kindle DX was my first Kindle but the size was a problem so I gave it to a nephew who reads a lot of .pdf files. It's still working fine. My Kindle Basic works fine and, of course, my new Kindle Paperwhite works great.

I have had no regrets.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #59
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
My Velocity Cruz reader is 3 years old and working fine. I use it for library book epub. and the Kindle NT is 1 year old. I use them both regularly.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #60
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
My Sony T1 lasted about 8 months and I'd never taken better care of a gadget, I'm on my replacement now and hoping for better but I don't really trust the model anymore and don't really expect much better.
Any mechanical device can fail at anytime. I had a Sony 600 for over 2 years and traded it in in perfect working condition for a T1 which is working perfectly at over a year old.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote