Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #91
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
If that is the case, how to you load your library? Also, once you load a earlier firmware eg factory reset, you need the desktop to finish the setup process so that rules out using wifi to load your library.
With a great deal of inconvenience if you have purchased your books from Kobo. You would have to grab the ePub version from Kobo, which I think has to be done book by book, then copy them over to the touch using Adobe Desktop Editions.

DRM free books can be handled by Adobe Desktop Editions, Calibre, or even your computer's file manager.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #92
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Manual editing of the user table in the SQL database to populate it?
If the device is already registered, you should be able to downgrade without re-registering. Just make a backup copy of it on your computer prior to doing a factory reset, and copy it back to the Kobo after the reset.
Advert
Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #93
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
If that is the case, how to you load your library? Also, once you load a earlier firmware eg factory reset, you need the desktop to finish the setup process.
Actually you don't need the desktop to finish the setup if you downgrade. I did it with no problem and no need for the desktop program.

Quote:
so that rules out using wifi to load your library.
In this case, yes it does. The Kobo Desktop will indeed force you to upgrade your firmware. In my case I sideload ALL my books anyway so the only time I use the Kobo Desktop is to upgrade my firmware. I don't even use it to buy or read books on my desktop. Perhaps if they ever add any of the features to the desktop that I mentioned in another thread I might use it...

I'm just grateful that I am able to downgrade. It's a shame companies don't really listen to the people using their products. Instead of taking things away, or moving them to different areas making them more inaccessbile, how about just adding in some options to the damn settings.

Display time on center tap [ ] yes [ ] no.
Display Bottom Carousel on Home Screen [ ] yes [ ] no
Discover New books [ ] yes [ ] no

Those are just some examples that would please most of the people. Companies seem to make changes by choosing to piss off the least amount of people rather that how they can implement changes that will please just about all of the people... I digress, the more I think about this the more it ....
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #94
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
An otherwise great release torpedoed by one fatal flaw as far as I'm concerned: side-loaded fonts have barely any weight to them at all. As someone who uses side-loaded fonts for 90% of my reading this is a real deal breaker. Hopefully this can be fixed soon. It would be great to have the same options for side-loaded fonts as for the pre-loaded ones...
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #95
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
OK, so now we officially have shelves, but if I populate them, how to I saved that data if I have to--perish the thought--do a reset sometime in the future? I don't want to put a couple hundred titles on shelves only to have that evaporate in a reset.

Calibre doesn't pick up the shelf tags. Or does it but in a column that has to be created? Alternatively, it would be easier to tag/shelve books in Calibre and transfer the books to the KT. Possible?

Last edited by GvilleBridge; 07-11-2012 at 03:40 AM.
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 02:57 AM   #96
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Perhaps furture versions of Calibre will support shelves? Well, we could always hope.

Until then, you can try backing up the file .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite. This is where the list of shelves and content of each shelf is stored. You will have to restore your books to the same filenames and directories though, since the database tables refer to the files by name. I also don't know if this data is preserved while rebuilding the database.

Incidentally, I noticed a new table called ratings. I wonder if this is foreshadowing a future feature.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:02 AM   #97
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Here's an idea for the weights of sideloaded fonts. I don't know if it will work since I haven't tried it, but the folks who use sideloaded fonts may want to test it out.

There is a file called .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf. I noticed the following line:

readingFontWeight\Amasis=@Variant(\0\0\0\x87>#\xd7 \n)

Maybe, just maybe, you can try changing Amasis to the name of your sideloaded font and it will change the weight for you.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #98
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
This seems to be a very good release, but I can't make out how to get the shelves. I have gone through the business of making a new shelf - give it a name, hit Next, select the appropriate books for that shelf, and at the end of the list I hit Create, which I assume is the appropriate thing to do. But then I can't find the shelf. When I hit Shelves, it just comes up with the screen saying New Shelf.

I'm probably missing something really basic, but would appreciate advice as I have spent quite some time trying to make it work.

Thanks in anticipation.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:26 AM   #99
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
This seems to be a very good release, but I can't make out how to get the shelves.
It sounds like you're doing everything correctly.

Why don't you try creating a shelf called test, but skip the adding books step. If that works, you will know that you're going through the right process and there's some sort of bug in the shelves feature. (Maybe it didn't like the name you gave the shelf, or maybe it didn't like one of the books you added to the shelf.)
Old 07-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #100
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks BWinmill. I have tried this, but still nothing. I didn't have the plug in talked about earlier, but I do have a lot of public domain books. Maybe it doesn't like them.

I'm going out shortly, so I think I shall try again tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #101
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Actually you don't need the desktop to finish the setup if you downgrade. I did it with no problem and no need for the desktop program.
Could you please elaborate? How do you do this as everything I try to do, requires me to connect to a computer before I can do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
In my case I sideload ALL my books anyway so the only time I use the Kobo Desktop is to upgrade my firmware. I don't even use it to buy or read books on my desktop.
Again, how? The books on Kobo's site are all Adobe DRM so I can open them in Digital Editions but then what? If I try to download directly from Kobo, I get an acsm file which is just the license file. Is there some other software that will let me get hold of the file so I can put it on a card in order to side load it (I am assuming that is what you mean when you say "side load")?
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #102
vorchan
vorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Here's an idea for the weights of sideloaded fonts. I don't know if it will work since I haven't tried it, but the folks who use sideloaded fonts may want to test it out.

There is a file called .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf. I noticed the following line:

readingFontWeight\Amasis=@Variant(\0\0\0\x87>#\xd7 \n)

Maybe, just maybe, you can try changing Amasis to the name of your sideloaded font and it will change the weight for you.
I tried this but didn't work for me with gentium book, of course I don't know how to interpret this part: Variant(\0\0\0\x87>#\xd7\n)

The strange thing is that sideloaded fonts work with kobo epubs bot not with sideloaded epubs. The standard fonts seem to work fine with both kepubs and sideloaded epubs.
vorchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #103
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Unhappy

This new font handling really bothers me. The built-in fonts cannot display special characters (like hungarian or polish as mentioned before), and the manually added ones appears unreadably thin.

I managed to replace the built-in Georgia to the same type with full character set, so now i have this one and only font to read hungarian texts. Still can't use my favorite one, Gentium Book Basic. (by the way, there was a poll of font preferences...)

I think this "font tuning" is pointless anyway: the limited display resolution and number of grey shades causes that only a handful of size and antialias combination looks acceptable. A competent typographer should choose a wide variety of typefaces and set them look good on this device, instead of let the readers struggle to find a good setting.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #104
kianryan
kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo
I can confirm the discrepancy with the font handling. I use "Palatine" for e-reading on my Touch (will provide the .ttf for testing if required).

Under a kepub, Palatine displays and behaves fine.
Under a epub, the hinting disappears completely and the font is unreadable.

The irony is that the font appears perfectly fine when displayed in the font selection drop down on the epub. The problem occurs once its selected and applied.

There also appears to be some discrepancy with the application of stock fonts as well between kobo epubs and regular epubs. I've tried this with a range of epubs from various sources.

I've a feeling this will have something to do with the style formatting in the kobo epubs and its interaction with the new font-rendering, but I've not got a whole lot to go on bar my gut.

If anyone from Kobo wants more details and information, I'm happy to be contacted via Twitter (kianryan).
kianryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #105
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by nila View Post
PS - wish there was some way to bring plugins to the front too.
If we had the shortlist bar back and could then pin plugins to it this would be ideal.
I could then instantly get to Sudoko whenever I fancied a game.
Right now it is hidden fairly deep in the reader
Yeah I liked the short list bar. It was a very important feature, as far as I thought of it. I did notice that the update killed my short lists. I have to go a reset them one at a time....
Other then that, the update is slower to process and boot into the system the first time. I found that after waiting a bit.. and not rushing into a factory reset the system booted fine.... My guess is the new update is busy processing things etc., and thats the reason for the slow boot.

Regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote