Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Kobo Touch Firmware 1.9.5

Kobo Touch Firmware 1.9.5 has been released.

• A summary of the new functionality is displayed after the software has been installed
• 5 new bundled fonts: Amasis, Delima, Felbridge, Gill Sans and Rockwell in addition to the 2 original bundled fonts: Avenir, Georgia
• Ability to add user fonts to the device: After connecting the device to the computer via USB, add a fonts folder and put OpenType or TrueType fonts in this folder
• Redesigned font menu which includes the ability to change the font face, font size, line spacing, margins, justification (off, left, full) and the ability to toggle Kobo styling
• Improved Wifi workflow when a known network is not found on the initial scan but is found on subsequent scans
• When the device starts up and after it is unplugged from a computer a check is performed on the database and the file system and the user is notified if recovery is required via a factory reset. A similar check on the desktop was put in the 2.0.1 release.
• A particular issue with detecting a proper full charge has been resolved.
• Various performance and stability improvements

Known issues:
- The battery reporting a low charge is being investigated.

Last edited by MDK; 06-28-2011 at 03:56 PM.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
It's great to see that the new fonts can also be used with non-Kobo epubs. Is there an explanation somewhere what Kobo styling affects? I have tried both ON and OFF in several books with no detectable differences.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
The checkbox is vestigial. We'll remove it in a future release but in the meantime have fun clicking it.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
to add, fonts added to the "fonts" folder also work with sideloaded books too - sweet!
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
much appreciated. thanks for the quick updates and making the KT that much better.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I received a corrupt message after the synch. Sorry, I know better but I forgot to write down the exact message. It then told me to do a factory reset. Then after the Kobo restarted I got a "eReader Storage error" on the Kobo Touch.

However my Kobo seems to be running and showed me at least one book. I'll do the factory reset if I run into any severe problems.

I *REALLY* don't want to do a factory reset as I'll lose the bookmarks of where I'm at in the books.

This is teaching me that the Kobo is still slightly unstable and I should ensure I track where I'm at in books before I do a synch. Which will be a Pain In The *ss.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Do the other typographic functions (margins, spacing, justification, etc.) also apply to non-Borders epubs?
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Clicking that kobo styling box NEVER gets old!
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Do the other typographic functions (margins, spacing, justification, etc.) also apply to non-Borders epubs?

yes and no...font sizing and line spacing definitely work for me, however for margins it depends; I've found if I've edited the margins in Calibre, then they won't modify, but if I go into a sideloaded that hasn't gone through Calibre, it works fine.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
opposite for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
I received a corrupt message after the synch. Sorry, I know better but I forgot to write down the exact message. It then told me to do a factory reset. Then after the Kobo restarted I got a "eReader Storage error" on the Kobo Touch.

However my Kobo seems to be running and showed me at least one book. I'll do the factory reset if I run into any severe problems.

I *REALLY* don't want to do a factory reset as I'll lose the bookmarks of where I'm at in the books.

This is teaching me that the Kobo is still slightly unstable and I should ensure I track where I'm at in books before I do a synch. Which will be a Pain In The *ss.
I have updated two kobo touches in the last 10 min. One went from the beta build the other went from 1.9.4 in each case it took less than 2 min (over wifi) and both worked perfectly. If you had trouble I wonder if your DB was a bit iffy to start with. If so do a reset now and save yourself a headache in the future
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
For styling off, look for things like indented paragraphs and hyperlinks, which will be lighter in colour than regular text and underlined.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

yes,mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
font changes (included side loaded fonts) line spacing and justification work but margins not so much.

At this point there doesnt seem to be any reason to complain about about a lack of font or typographic settings if you dont like one of the five included fonts you can load your own. Can your Nook do that?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
sweet still having login issues though (as in I can't) but otherwise LOVE LOVE LOVE my touch.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
baronrus
Addict

opposite for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post

I have updated two kobo touches in the last 10 min. One went from the beta build the other went from 1.9.4 in each case it took less than 2 min (over wifi) and both worked perfectly. If you had trouble I wonder if your DB was a bit iffy to start with. If so do a reset now and save yourself a headache in the future
Old 06-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
If you had trouble I wonder if your DB was a bit iffy to start with. If so do a reset now and save yourself a headache in the future
I think that is actually a feature--if you have a wonky Db (and these things do happen), the next update will tell you to do a factory reset. This can happen before you have noticed any ill effects from the Db problems.

Factory resets on the Touch remove all the sideloaded books, too, btw--unlike the resets on the earlier readers. I keep all my sideloaded books on an SD card. After a reset, I have to let the books process, but I don't have to move them again. I turn the reader off and take my card out, btw, before the reset. What i don't know is if a single book can corrupt the Db and if that could be the reason we got the message to begin with.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote