Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
doodlydood
Enthusiast
doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3, iPad, Nook Touch, Kobo Touch
Personal Document Service via Whispernet in Canada

Hello all,

I am picking up a Kindle DX tomorrow to help in corporate work. I'm wondering, however, whether I will be able to make use of the personal document delivery service?

1) Does it work if registered to my Canadian address?
2) If I register to an american address will it work in Canada?

Thanks!

Last edited by doodlydood; 04-22-2020 at 01:50 PM.
doodlydood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I haven't been able to use the Amazon personal document service in Canada. When I've tried, I received an email (not on my Kindle) stating that the service is not available in Canada. I'm pretty sure that it will work, with charges, if you register your Kindle to an American address, but if you use the service a few times from Canada, you'll soon get an inquiry from Amazon asking what your permanent address is. Maybe someone else has had success with this.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Why bother? It's trivial to transfer documents to your Kindle via USB, either manually or with a program such as Calibre. Much simpler all-round to just transfer the documents yourself and avoid the issues with Amazon Whispernet outside the US.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Why bother? It's trivial to transfer documents to your Kindle via USB, either manually or with a program such as Calibre. Much simpler all-round to just transfer the documents yourself and avoid the issues with Amazon Whispernet outside the US.
One reason to bother would be if you wished to transfer work documents to read on the Kindle, but you were not permitted to connect USB devices to your PC. That's the case in many companies.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Everything I've read on here and elsewhere indicates that "whispernet" works fine in Canada. For example, see the thread here at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=108343 . The main problem that some might have is patchy 3G coverage in more rural areas, but if you can connect your Kindle to WiFi (either on your home network or in a library or cafe, perhaps) then you should have no problem downloading documents you've emailed to your Kindle.

Bear in mind that document delivery via 3G will be charged for, whereas delivery via WiFi is free - you can set the maximum delivery charge on the "Manage my Kindle" web page (if you set it to 0 and/or use the "@free.amazon.com" email address, Amazon won't deliver documents via 3G).
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course Whispernet works fine in Canada. But your @free.kindle.com address will not. Here is the response I get when I try:

Greetings from Amazon.com,

Kindle Personal Document Service is not available in Canada. We look forward to making this service available in Canada in the future but aren’t announcing a timeline today.

Did you recently move to a new country? You can easily update your country for your Amazon account at http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle.
Please note that if you change your country, you will need to have the email to be resent to get your document(s).

Alternatively, you can also use our free Personal Document Service ("name"@free.kindle.com) for any document you want to transfer over USB, and you will not be charged.

You can learn more about transferring personal documents to your Kindle in our help pages:
http://www.amazon.com/kindlepersonaldocuments/

If you would like immediate assistance, please contact customer support at +1-206-266-0927 (International Customers).

Sincerely,
Amazon Kindle Support
Old 01-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Of course Whispernet works fine in Canada. But your @free.kindle.com address will not.
...snip...
HUH? I'm in Canada and it works fine for me.
perhaps you mean the @kindle.com address? (haven't tried it myself)
it states right in amazons email that the @free address DOES work.

Last edited by bZkindle; 01-24-2011 at 03:37 PM.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The @free.kindle.com sends it via WiFi to K3s so it should be available anywhere you can get unrestricted WiFi internet access.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I'm in Canada. I tried out the @free.kindle.com ("free Personal Document Service") on a PDF document as advertised. I received an e-mail to my primary e-mail address, with the converted document (AZW format) attached. Downloaded it to my computer, moved it to my Kindle via USB, and voila. Free and reasonably fast.

I won't do this often because, hey, Calibre ... but it does work.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
montalex
Fanatic

bZkindle: How does it work for you? I was unclear when I wrote that it doesn't work, but read again what the message from Amazon says:

"Alternatively, you can also use our free Personal Document Service ("name"@free.kindle.com) for any document you want to transfer over USB, and you will not be charged."

What happens when I send a document to "name"@free.kindle.com, is that I receive an email to my regular address that I can download the converted document from my account on amazon.com.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
My apologies. First, I totally forgot that the Kindle DX and Kindle 2i don't have WiFi - just 3G. I then managed to track down a wireless coverage map on Amazon's website (the link to it is on the Kindle DX page at http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Wire.../dp/B002GYWHSQ) which shows that much of Canada isn't covered (although most or all of the major cities and urban areas in Canada do appear to be covered).

So... the Personal Document Service is available, but for some in Canada, it might only be workable if you're able to use your registered email address to download the converted document to a PC or Mac, and then transfer to your Kindle via USB.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
montalex
Fanatic

I am in Montreal, have perfect 3G coverage, but documents sent to @free.kindle.com are still recovered from the Amazon website. Nothing to do with coverage in my case, just a matter of Amazon policy.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
bZkindle: How does it work for you? I was unclear when I wrote that it doesn't work, but read again what the message from Amazon says:

"Alternatively, you can also use our free Personal Document Service ("name"@free.kindle.com) for any document you want to transfer over USB, and you will not be charged."

What happens when I send a document to "name"@free.kindle.com, is that I receive an email to my regular address that I can download the converted document from my account on amazon.com.
I think Tierstan answered the question: it IS delivered to your kindle free IF you have wi-fi, which you don't since you don't have a kindle 3.
(this is news to me though.. I'll have to try that. just got my k3 today!)
by 'working', I meant that the converted document is delivered to your email address.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #14
bZkindle
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
....snip....
which shows that much of Canada isn't covered (although most or all of the major cities and urban areas in Canada do appear to be covered).
that's only about 20 people then.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
doodlydood
Enthusiast
doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3, iPad, Nook Touch, Kobo Touch
Hi all, thanks everyone for the response. I have both a K3 and DX. The K3 will receive emails to my @free.kindle.com address over wifi, converted, free of charge.

The Kindle DX does not have wifi and as montalex confirms, when I send to the @kindle.com address, I only get an email saying the service in unavailable in Canada. Sure, I could email it to @free.kindle to have it converted, but what's the point when we all have Calibre (donate, if you haven't already .

It's a shame as I can browse the web (for free) with impunity on the DX anywhere. Problem would be solved if they just put wifi on the DX.
doodlydood is offline   Reply With Quote